LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 84

Thread: big waves?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    449
    Images
    25
    Is it sad that the past two nights I have had dreams where I see a huge 10 ft. green man pop up out of nowhere later in the week? Both times I made sure to check swellinfo, magicseaweed, and surfline to see if it was TRUE!

    My buddy leaves for Europe next week... We'll get swell then...

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    Is it sad that the past two nights I have had dreams where I see a huge 10 ft. green man pop up out of nowhere later in the week?
    This green man?

    green.jpg

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    449
    Images
    25
    that would be a nightmare

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    ...I pinch my nose to try and not lose air in the initial impact. I know you don't always have time to do that, but if you can it makes it a lot easier to get to the surface.
    Really?? Like when a little girl jumps off a diving board for the first time. I think you're doing it wrong.

    Block your airway with the back of your tongue. It's like when you hold your breath and bear down in order to get rid of a turtle head during a post-thanksgiving dinner sh!t

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    Really?? Like when a little girl jumps off a diving board for the first time. I think you're doing it wrong.

    Block your airway with the back of your tongue. It's like when you hold your breath and bear down in order to get rid of a turtle head during a post-thanksgiving dinner sh!t
    +1 Buahaha, great mental imagery, thanks

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    All y'all are always talking "period" like you're a bunch of menstrating chicks.

    Six seconds......8 seconds........man, it don't matter..
    swell period is everything. even at the small end of the scale makes a huge difference and the level of beating you take increases exponentially the higher you go. a 6-8 foot swell at 10 sec's is a much different beast than the same size at 12 sec's and 14 sec's is a monster, especially at a beach break.

    you guys arguing over scale is so maddening to me. there's no hawaiian scale or back of the wave vs. the face debate. there is swell size and period. that's it. yes a 3-4 foot, fifteen second swell is overhead once it magnifies in shallow water which sounds counterintuitive but that's the vernacular science and watermen have agreed to use. wave faces vary as the bottom conditions change so the most consistent measure is swell size and period. period.

    learn to talk about waves like you know what you're talking about because all this "20 foot east coast bombs" talk makes us all look like kooks. read the buoy and know the bottom conditions of your spots. also, too, stop talking about surfing so much and just surf and if you want to surf big waves, book a trip. you will never surf an 18 second period swell on the east coast and yes, it makes a big difference.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Your Mom's Vag
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    swell period is everything. even at the small end of the scale makes a huge difference and the level of beating you take increases exponentially the higher you go. a 6-8 foot swell at 10 sec's is a much different beast than the same size at 12 sec's and 14 sec's is a monster, especially at a beach break.

    you guys arguing over scale is so maddening to me. there's no hawaiian scale or back of the wave vs. the face debate. there is swell size and period. that's it. yes a 3-4 foot, fifteen second swell is overhead once it magnifies in shallow water which sounds counterintuitive but that's the vernacular science and watermen have agreed to use. wave faces vary as the bottom conditions change so the most consistent measure is swell size and period. period.

    learn to talk about waves like you know what you're talking about because all this "20 foot east coast bombs" talk makes us all look like kooks. read the buoy and know the bottom conditions of your spots. also, too, stop talking about surfing so much and just surf and if you want to surf big waves, book a trip. you will never surf an 18 second period swell on the east coast and yes, it makes a big difference.
    Somebody got piss in his corn flakes this morning!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Not Nicaragua
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    swell period is everything. even at the small end of the scale makes a huge difference and the level of beating you take increases exponentially the higher you go. a 6-8 foot swell at 10 sec's is a much different beast than the same size at 12 sec's and 14 sec's is a monster, especially at a beach break.

    you guys arguing over scale is so maddening to me. there's no hawaiian scale or back of the wave vs. the face debate. there is swell size and period. that's it. yes a 3-4 foot, fifteen second swell is overhead once it magnifies in shallow water which sounds counterintuitive but that's the vernacular science and watermen have agreed to use. wave faces vary as the bottom conditions change so the most consistent measure is swell size and period. period.

    learn to talk about waves like you know what you're talking about because all this "20 foot east coast bombs" talk makes us all look like kooks. read the buoy and know the bottom conditions of your spots. also, too, stop talking about surfing so much and just surf and if you want to surf big waves, book a trip. you will never surf an 18 second period swell on the east coast and yes, it makes a big difference.
    +1,000,000

  9. #59
    I also highly recommend burning a fattie ( save half for when you get out) to give you the mental clarity and relaxed state of mind to commune with the ocean when she becomes unruly. Just ragdoll on those hold downs, and look for columns of clear water to swim back up instead of fighting the foam.[/QUOTE]

    Some of you guys just make me so happy! On second thought SISurfdog, bring two fatties. Then you can share with me before and after.. But don't worry, I usually always have the goods too. If your not getting high before you hit the water, your not doing it right. Sucks when I cant get high before dawn patrols because I gotta work. Didn't used to be my rule, but I have a job I cannot nap at now. Hit me up if you wanna buy a new limophoto (23).jpg

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    swell period is everything. even at the small end of the scale makes a huge difference and the level of beating you take increases exponentially the higher you go. a 6-8 foot swell at 10 sec's is a much different beast than the same size at 12 sec's and 14 sec's is a monster, especially at a beach break.

    you guys arguing over scale is so maddening to me. there's no hawaiian scale or back of the wave vs. the face debate. there is swell size and period. that's it. yes a 3-4 foot, fifteen second swell is overhead once it magnifies in shallow water which sounds counterintuitive but that's the vernacular science and watermen have agreed to use. wave faces vary as the bottom conditions change so the most consistent measure is swell size and period. period.

    learn to talk about waves like you know what you're talking about because all this "20 foot east coast bombs" talk makes us all look like kooks. read the buoy and know the bottom conditions of your spots. also, too, stop talking about surfing so much and just surf and if you want to surf big waves, book a trip. you will never surf an 18 second period swell on the east coast and yes, it makes a big difference.
    Hey Mr. Serious, I think you missed his point about the swell period not mattering, I'm pretty sure he understands what the swell period does, what i believe he meant was: Stop trying to over analyze the situation and just paddle out. Too many people get paralysis of analysis and psyche themselves out.