LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    662

    Is it the VB Water?

    Has anyone who's been surfing the VA Bch area consistently the past couple weeks experiencing lower GI problems, i.e., the runs? Not meaning to get too personal here, but I've been having symptoms off and on for the past 2 weeks. They seem to correspond with my sessions. I've been getting out at least 4 X per week lately, and during the past 2-plus weeks the water has been reddish brown with a stronger than usual fishy smell. I attributed that to some red tide we seem to be experiencing here. Maybe I inadvertently swallowed too much of the stuff, or perhaps my "surf immunity" isn't adequately developed.

    In addition to this reddish brown soup and washed up on the beach at Dam Neck late yesterday and this morning was the upper half of a large loggerhead turtle. It's head was almost as large as a basketball. It had been cut right in two - presumably by a ship's prop.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,329
    Images
    23
    my ears have been bothering me but no gi issues

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    662
    I use swimmer ear drops as needed after a session. I get mine at Walgreens, but other pharmacies also sell them.

  4. #4
    Ive been ****ting out of my ears..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    904
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by KookieMonster View Post
    Ive been ****ting out of my ears..
    That's just dumb. If I read this in the morning I would need a new keyboard because it would be covered in coffee.

    Check the mailbox, I got a box of ear candles and q-tips coming your way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    That's just dumb. If I read this in the morning I would need a new keyboard because it would be covered in coffee.

    Check the mailbox, I got a box of ear candles and q-tips coming your way.
    We can't all be an astronaut like you, clemmy. You're not even funny, though you sit there at your sticky keyboard & giggle at your own attempts at wit.

    The VB water is sketchy, scary & dangerous. Worse this year than any other year in recent memory. That stankin' nasty fishy smell with greasy, slick water is not what the ocean is supposed to be.

    There's so many mysterious, bad things being swirled around in that water: from the Hampton Roads shipping channel, the effluence from the river, the hundreds of thousands of sh!!tting tourists, the runoff from the streets that VB admins have brilliantly directed out into the ocean via massive pipes, the discharges from the cargo & military vessels in the shipping channel and, of course, the awful toxins released by dredging for beach replenishment.

    VB water is making people ill to very ill. Ear infections, GI aspects, staph infections, flu-like symptoms....that's the ocean telling surfers that massive pollution has taken over.

    You won't read about any deadly levels of toxins in the tested water, though, because that would be like Chief Brody telling the media there's a killer in the water in Amityville: bad for business.
    Last edited by yankee; Sep 11, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    35
    Yankee - what are the toxic substances in the water off VB? What toxins and tested by whom? I've been surfing in VB for 30+ years and have had flu like symptoms just a few times.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
    Yankee - what are the toxic substances in the water off VB? What toxins and tested by whom? I've been surfing in VB for 30+ years and have had flu like symptoms just a few times.
    Mercury, lead, a toxic stew of nastiness.

    The first-person tales of so many people being ill after surfing (you can search this forum & others for the tales of woe) should be enough for anyone to realize that the water in VB is a toxic stew. Perhaps you're awaiting official government results of testing, if so, good luck with that. That approach worked out great for humans at places like Love Canal (google it) and so many others.

    You may have a strong immune system, if so more power to ya; but that water is all wrong for humans, created by humans.
    Last edited by yankee; Sep 11, 2013 at 05:33 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    904
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    We can't all be an astronaut like you, clemmy. You're not even funny, though you sit there at your sticky keyboard & giggle at your own attempts at wit.

    The VB water is sketchy, scary & dangerous. Worse this year than any other year in recent memory. That stankin' nasty fishy smell with greasy, slick water is not what the ocean is supposed to be.

    There's so many mysterious, bad things being swirled around in that water: from the Hampton Roads shipping channel, the effluence from the river, the hundreds of thousands of sh!!tting tourists, the runoff from the streets that VB admins have brilliantly directed out into the ocean via massive pipes, the discharges from the cargo & military vessels in the shipping channel and, of course, the awful toxins released by dredging for beach replenishment.

    VB water is making people ill to very ill. Ear infections, GI aspects, staph infections, flu-like symptoms....that's the ocean telling surfers that massive pollution has taken over.

    You won't read about any deadly levels of toxins in the tested water, though, because that would be like Chief Brody telling the media there's a killer in the water in Amityville: bad for business.

    Chill out kid. Pooping out your ears... That is dumb. But I was loling big time. I was Rolfing. I lmfaod. In SI language and history, a post that makes you spray coffee all over your keyboard is one that is hilarious. It was like 12 so no coffee for me at that point.

    You're blinded by the hate hoty.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    662
    I surfed VB through the past year, and during that time span,there were two instances when I was ill: around 4th of July (I'd never been sick on the 4th) during the sand replenishment along Sandbridge and currently while we seem to be having a bit of a red tide. Of course this all could be attributable to other causes (sort of hope it was), and that's why I was asking. Had no illnesses from last fall through the first part of this summer.
    I would've thought water quality was worse further north, Jersey and NY area, due to the greater populations, industry, etc. But in VB, we're near the "a-hole" of the Mid-Atlantic, with the Elizabeth rivers, James River, Chesapeake Bay, and other local drainage continuously emptying into the ocean at one relatively small location.