LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I completely agree with adding signs to beaches explaining the importance of etiquette. ESPECIALLY in summer months. Lets get a petition going. It's total logical and theres tons a good reason behind it, I don't see why we couldn't get something going to get signs up.

I work at a surf school, we make sure to teach proper surf etiquette. We also stick to a beach that there are no other surfers around. I think rentals are a completely different issue and we try to explain the rules before anyone rents a board. Days when it is bigger than waist high we keep students on the inside the entire time. if its too big we dont give lessons. I think that its 50/50. Would you rather have someone out renting a soft top that has been explained the rules or someone who has never taken a lesson with a short board flailing around potentially injuring someone?

I don't know how much signs would help honestly, a lot of people will choose not to read them, others will have trouble comprehending them, and some will read them and then proceed to ignore anything that they "learned". I say we get back to enforcing our lineups. Not in a d*ck way, but in a "hey buddy, you really ought not do that buddy" type of way. If you see a newb getting in the way, give them a helpful hand, it'll go a long way and if done correctly they'll respect you for it and will try harder to do what's right from then on out.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshiles View Post
    Would you rather have someone out renting a soft top that has been explained the rules or someone who has never taken a lesson with a short board flailing around potentially injuring someone?
    I used to give surf lessons myself a loong time ago, so i've been on both sides of it.

to answer your question, it makes little difference. Someone renting a soft top whose taken a lesson or two and been explained the rules and someone who just grabs a shortboard without a lesson and flails are both likely to be hazardous if they are in a lineup. Parenting, mentoring by a more experienced surfer, lessons learned the hardway in the water, and attitude of the kid all matter a while lot more than a couple of surf lessons or a sign on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroNE View Post
    because these morons pose a threat on crowded days.
    We were all morons at one time... just sayin.

I'd rather give some pointers in the line up. I ask first, if they would like some guidance. Most people starting out appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington Jetty Bear View Post
    Dudes, there shouldn't be ANY surf schools.

Surfing is learned through experience not something that should be taught.
    The word's surf and school just should not be put together. Like Peacenik Marines, or peanut butter and sardines.

That's where you go wrong with giving lessons. Teaching kids to stay inside on days when it's waist high or bigger is an overall bad idea. You're teaching these kids to sit on the inside, next thing I know I'm pumping down the line looking at the last section and all I see is a kid on a soft top paddling, nosediving, and I end up getting popes in the face by the board. If you're at a beach where there's no surfers let them go out and ride the actual waves. Teaching them to sit inside won't do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    The word's surf and school just should not be put together. Like Peacenik Marines, or peanut butter and sardines.
    Man, you guys are way harsh. Especially PJB with his many opinions These surf schools must be a far greater problem in your area than mine. Maybe that's obvious considering geography.

While we're at it, let's just get rid of all schools. Education is like propaganda.

Kidding aside, consider this: take those kids out of surf school and what would they be doing? Video games? TV? Eating junk food? I'll support ANYTHING that gets kids out of the house and active, assuming it's ethical.

Surfing can't be taught. All schools are doing are crowding lineups with people who have no clue but think they do since they 'went to school'

Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
    If your older than ten and someone pushes you into a wave, you should be beaten. By that age you should be able to catch waves by yourself. If you cant, paddle harder.