LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,360

    ok, post 'em ... Epic Concerts You've Been To

    So, I can't even recall all the shows but here are some that I do remember being at.
    This may date me, as if I care but some that I saw (mostly at MSG) were:

    Bad Company
    Pink Floyd (several tours)
    Led Zep
    Aerosmith
    Tull
    Queen
    Boston
    Fleetwood Mac
    Blue Oyster Cult

    Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes (London, England)
    Springsteen
    Ray Charles (in Stamford, CT)

    Allman Brothers in the mid 70's (can't recall where)
    Santana (ditto)
    ELO (ditto)
    Sly & The Family Stone (somewhere in NYC)
    Steve Miller Band
    Elvis Costello (somewhere in NYC)
    Al Green

    First go 'round I forgot, but these too:
    Rare Earth (at a dive bar in Lauderdale)
    CDB aka Charlie Daniels Band (thx to KokiB for jogging my memory on that one)
    KC & The Sunshine Band (when they were hot, and dang nobody stopped dancing)
    The Traamps (in OCMD the summer I waited tables at The Embers)
    Donna Summer
    Sinatra (NYC)
    Miles Davis
    War

    Loudest: Led Zep holy crap my ears took a beating, Bonham's 45 minute drum solo wtf
    Funkiest: Sly & The Family had everyone on their feet the whole show
    Most Danceable: Sly
    Lamest: Blue Oyster Cult they should have just let everyone in with bongs to hit it and then sit around & nod off
    Nuttiest: Southside Johnny came out drunk, was so hammered he couldn't sing even one song & after missing several lead-ins he then started staggering around the stage, heaving amps at his own bandmates until security came out & literally dragged the star of the show offstage; that was the end of the show without even one song being played by the headliner & no refunds were given; audience responded with a massive cascade of debris aimed at the stage; there were many subsequent brawls in the venue & on the streets outside.

    And of 'em all, Brutha Ray was far & away the most incredible musical performance.

    Kick myself for missing:
    Bob Marley
    and too many other greats.

    What's your list?
    Last edited by yankee; Sep 13, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,448
    Images
    264
    Good to Epic Ones:

    Jane's Addiction
    The Who (Who are You Tour)
    Frank Zappa (his band was great, his guitar playing amazing but Frank was a condescending asshole)
    Buzzcocks (amazing - at the old 9:30 club on F st.)
    Dinosaur, Jr.
    Stranglers
    Meat Puppets (Cant believe they're gonna play Dogfish Head next month - expecting a letdown)
    Pretenders
    Pavement
    Ramones
    Henry Rollins Band

    Forgetting many good ones and remembering many forgettable ones (ZZ Top, Rush, the Who in the 1980s)
    Last edited by mitchell; Sep 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Good to Epic Ones:

    Jane's Addiction
    The Who (Who are You Tour)
    Frank Zappa (his band was great, his guitar playing amazing but Frank was a condescending asshole)
    Buzzcocks (amazing - at the old 9:30 club on F st.)
    Dinosaur, Jr.
    Stranglers
    Meat Puppets (Cant believe they're gonna play Dogfish Head next month - expecting a letdown)
    Pretenders
    Pavement
    Ramones
    Henry Rollins Band

    Forgetting many good ones and remembering many forgettable ones (ZZ Top, Rush, the Who in the 1980s)
    That is an awesome list. I would love to see many of those band.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,536
    Lollapalooza 1996 - Ramones and Soundgarden
    Lollapalooza 1997 - Devo and Tool

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Lollapalooza 1996 - Ramones and Soundgarden
    Lollapalooza 1997 - Devo and Tool
    Lollapalooza 1992: Ground Zero - Bayfront Park Miami August 23: Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, MINISTRY RULED !!!, Pearl Jam, and more...got home at 3 a.m. and looked at the radar...told my wife to get some sleep, because we have 3 hours until we have to evacuate. Woke up at 6 a.m. and looked at the radar...Hurricane Andrew on the rampage..Go Time!!!!

  6. #6
    I was at Lollapalooza in '92 also. Perfect weather that day. Just the calm before the storm though. Glad I lived in Palm Beach County since we only got some tropical storm winds up there. Bad scene down south.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chadwick
    Posts
    1,318
    sorry,sup.really.just don't see how injuring people is fun.i also don't get how guys taking off their clothes to simulate sex with their instruments is music.i like punk rock,but you're right,i would not like nor did i ever understand mosh pit excuse for violent behavior.and if i was screen name sponger or handplane or longboard i'd just be asking for it,since i only ride a surfboard,contentedly.so most everyone assumes you're all about sup,not the other.calling me sunshine is not very original,is it?did you surf today?best swell in months here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,277
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    sorry,sup.really.just don't see how injuring people is fun.i also don't get how guys taking off their clothes to simulate sex with their instruments is music.i like punk rock,but you're right,i would not like nor did i ever understand mosh pit excuse for violent behavior.and if i was screen name sponger or handplane or longboard i'd just be asking for it,since i only ride a surfboard,contentedly.so most everyone assumes you're all about sup,not the other.calling me sunshine is not very original,is it?did you surf today?best swell in months here.
    Are you a man or a woman? I can't tell, not being a smarty pants, I just honestly can't tell where you're coming from with this nonsense. Injuring people isn't fun if done by accident but when someone deserves to get their ass kicked, it most certainly is a blast to give them what they were asking for. Would you rather some dude who is in his 40's (I was 18 at the time) run around hurting teenage girls in a mosh pit on purpose, or if you saw someone doing that would you hope that someone took care of him so everybody else can just have fun? It may sound harsh but that's how things go. Dude / Dudette, that was 15 years ago. You people get too hung up on screen names, yes, I have an SUP, so what. I also have short boards and long boards. I surf em all, and I surf them well. Today I was working Beachbreak, working a job to pay for my weekend stay on the E. Coast (again), so i'll be surfing, no worries. Today looked fun, wish I was there, but can't win em all.

  9. #9
    Sublime at the TLA before Brad Odeed
    Beck
    Run DMC
    RHCP
    Beasties
    U2, Muse opened and was better
    the cure
    Rolling stones last show at the vet
    Reverend Horton Heat
    A bunch more but you said epic

  10. #10
    starting in '70
    Allman Bros Band 4 times while Duane was alive, none since
    Rare Earth
    Iron Butterfly
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Mountain
    Pink Floyd
    Joe Cocker, AeroSmith and Little feat opening
    Rolling Stones 3 times
    Bob Marley (no woman no cry tour) at Georgetown U Gym
    Robert Fripp
    Alice Cooper twice
    the Kinks
    the BeeGees
    9 inch nails
    PIL
    B52s
    Devo
    Elvis Costello (Rockpile and Mink Deville opening
    ICP 2 times
    The Call
    gang of 4 opening for Peter Murphy
    Buckethead with That 1 Guy openning
    Michael Franti and Spearhead, twice
    Kid Rock

    to name a few. My son's best friends mom was head of security for the BoatHouse. I was often on 2 or more guest lists and now have 2 concert venues as clients.