LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Question Switchfoot/both stances?

    Hi, I am a surfer who surfs forehand going left as well as right. I'm not sure how I learned that way but it is what it is. I also donít seem to have a better foot while skating so I guess I have ambidextrous legs or something.

    Although I think itís pretty cool that I surf the way I do, I have some worries. I feel that since I surf both stances it could be taking a toll on how quickly I improve because itís like Iím learning to surf twice. I have also heard that backside is better for late drops? but i would never know because I don't ever take off backside. I decided to post here to see if anyone surfs both stances like me and ask advice on whether or not I should just choose a stance and stick with it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Your Mom's Vag
    Posts
    1,794
    I would say choose a stance and stick with it but don't loose the ability to surf switch. It could be helpful just like in skating. Best way to choose is lay a board flat (without fins in) back up a few steps and walk forward and jump on the board. See which way you naturally choose to land and that should be your go to stance. Works the same for skating too. Plus you can be cool like JOB and switch stance at mackin pipeline!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,457
    Images
    5
    I can hop to the other side and kinda surf that way but not really well. When you choose one side it helps when backside and frontside. When riding backside you learn to ride on your heel side rail which helps cut backs round houses etc on your frontside. I actually think it would be really cool to be able to rip switch foot but after years of doing it I have hardly improved when I switch.
    Last edited by Zippy; Sep 14, 2013 at 07:51 PM.

  4. #4
    I remember a kelly Slater interview and he said that next thing will be to switch stance at will. You're on to something, It will only get better since we surf til we die

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BELMAR, NJ
    Posts
    1,349
    Images
    1
    In the long run- surfing switch will help you to surf better. I would stick with it- but also learn to surf backside. Backside does have its benefits. I believe the reason most ppl dont learn switch is purely lazy ness - surfing switch is fun but it really is like learning to surf twice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    930
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuddenlyPotatos View Post
    Hi, I am a surfer who surfs forehand going left as well as right. I'm not sure how I learned that way but it is what it is. I also don’t seem to have a better foot while skating so I guess I have ambidextrous legs or something.

    Although I think it’s pretty cool that I surf the way I do, I have some worries. I feel that since I surf both stances it could be taking a toll on how quickly I improve because it’s like I’m learning to surf twice. I have also heard that backside is better for late drops? but i would never know because I don't ever take off backside. I decided to post here to see if anyone surfs both stances like me and ask advice on whether or not I should just choose a stance and stick with it.
    this is not a dig, but i'd be curious as to how well you surf in general. i only knew ever knew one guy who could switch stance flawlessly and he was one of the best surfers i ever saw (when we were growing up, he was known as "The Natural"). the point i'm making is that the people i've seen do it, in person and on vid (like JOB), were very good surfers and switching was a reflection of their talents and abilities, not a limitation.

    so, if you're already a good surfer, don't change a thing - i envy your talent. but, since you say you've never surfed backside, i assume you're mediocre or a beginner, in which case you might want to focus on one way or the other. once you start surfing backside, i think your natural stance will be more apparent to you.

  7. #7
    thanks for your input

    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    this is not a dig, but i'd be curious as to how well you surf in general.
    I guess I would consider myself Okay,
    imho, my wave reading skills are great, I generally have a good idea what the wave is going to do way before I paddle for it, I often paddle left or right to get in a better position for a wave(when there's no one around of course!), and almost every wave I paddle for I get so usually my wave count is much higher than those around me. however, even though my balance is pretty good and almost never fall off, I honestly hardly do anything while I'm on the wave. If it's a fast wave i just gently carve up and down and just enjoy it, If its a slow then maybe i'll do a cutback to stay near the curl then go back to my "carving" but that's it honestly. No tight turns, no roundhouses no floaters and definitely no airs. The only trick I excel at is taking off fins first and that's even fairly easy for people that aren't switch foot.

    So basically, I kinda look like a longboarder riding a shortboard


    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    so, if you're already a good surfer, don't change a thing - i envy your talent. but, since you say you've never surfed backside, i assume you're mediocre or a beginner, in which case you might want to focus on one way or the other. once you start surfing backside, i think your natural stance will be more apparent to you.
    Maybe never was the wrong word but I can't remember the last time I rode the whole wave backside, I'm pretty sure all the times I've taking off backside was when i changed my mind mid pop up but probably hippie jumped to my normal stance after hard grabbing the rail in the section.

    Anyway thanks for your opinions, I really agree that I should start surfing backside, the only problem is, It feels so unnatural and I feel like if im not surfing frontside I'm wasting the wave.

    by the way on a side note, the leash is a *****!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by SuddenlyPotatos View Post

    by the way on a side note, the leash is a *****!
    Attach two leashes two your board and wrap one on each ankle. Now a leash will always be on your back foot

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Attach two leashes two your board and wrap one on each ankle. Now a leash will always be on your back foot
    hahahaha worst idea ever, but at least I could feel more connected with my board!