LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share a story!

Images

Share a story!

This thread hopefully will be a way for everybody to share personal stories that they thought were cool. For example, my car just died this morning so i had to take the bus and bike to class up at Virginia Wesleyan. As i was sitting on the bus, this guy gets on. Mid-40's early 50's looks like a regular joe going to work. We're sitting there awhile and looks up at me, looks at my shirt, and says i used to be sponsored by oneil. I was like really? and then he started to tell me about how he used to live/surf at pavones all the time. He also told me how he won a ESA/ESP longboard contest down in hatteras on a crappy composite bic because he broke his board the day before surfing Avon. then we just started talking about surfing. maybe my blonde ass hair and tan gave it away but i thought it was pretty sweet that he could recognize another surfer when i sure as hell didn't think he was one. I dont know if he was BS'ing me but if he wasn't, i thought it was pretty cool to just randomly meet this guy and talk about surfing.

o i forgot i have one more. I lifeguard at a pool by the beach and the patrons there are cool as hell. half of them surf and one even let me borrow his longboard for a couple weeks. anyway, one of them who came in to swim laps everyday told me a story about how he was in mexico for a surf trip when he was younger and went to the bar one night and hooked up with this Australian chick one night. turns out that chick was dewey weber's daughter who was going to school in San Francisco and she was in Mexico for vacation. how crazy would that have been if he had married her? his life would be totally different.

It's amazing how people meet each other and possibly could have their lives changed in a single moment.

Anybody else got any good ones?

Cool stories, 757. When is Wesleyan going to get a football team? You can take W&L's spot or Macon's spot. Those dudes are pansies!

A few weeks ago, I was in Chicago for business. One of the nights, we went to some hipster restaurant near Fenway called Gather. It was a really nice place with a cool atmosphere and a killer beer menu. One of the waitresses, Stephanie, overheard our table talking about surfing. Turns out, she used to live in Carolina Beach and actually surfed a few blocks down from my favorite break. She even showed me a few pictures from her CB visit a few weeks prior. One of the pictures was even taken at Fatty P's! It was one of those "small world" moments and I still can't believe there's a CB transplant living in Chicago!

Images
    I almost went to Virginia Wesleyan for lacrosse 4 years ago. Do you like it their? Sometimes I regret my decision...

Stories... I don't have many stories, but like you, I love meeting people who are stoked on surfing. The other day I was checking the surf (it was pretty good), and a guy rolls up who looks like he is 50 or 60. Immediately, when I saw his face light up at the sight of the ocean I could tell he was a surfer. That grin is a dead give away. I'm sure each and every one of us gets that bubbling excitement when you roll up to the beach and it looks just like the wave you've been mind surfing all day in your cubicle. He picked up his phone, and called up another dude to share the stoke with.

I love people getting stoked up about surfing, whether it is a 70 year old logger, or a 7 year old grommet, nothing beats an ear to ear grin bobbing in the ocean.

The other day I saw a guy while I was out getting a burrito after my morning surf. Saw a guy in a old guys rule shirt with a guy surfing on it so I took the chance and asked if he had paddled out this morning. He did and we discussed our morning session.
    This morning there was a guy metal detecting on the beach as I was giving the waves a look. We got to talking about how much that beach has changed in the past few years. Turns out the guy lives a block away from me

Cool thread - keep'em coming. I surf in Margate, NJ almost always by myself. I've met one dude who is out most weekends but I'm always trying to network and meet other surfers in the area. I was in Orange County, CA last fall for some classic longboarding at Doheny and San Onofre. It was packed shoulder to shoulder for 2-3ft surf. Better waves but too much competition. I think I'll stay east coast, deal with the solitude, and hopefully meet some friends along the way.

This isn't a personal story, but I just came across it on yahoo. Just when I thought I lost all faith in humanity, I see something like this...

http://news.yahoo.com/stranger-diner...131659087.html

Images
    I was in Omaha, Nebraska right in the center of the States wearing a "surf shirt" my wife got for me. The shirt is comfortable and fits well but it say something like Rincon World Championship 19** and I always get attention for being a surf guy which I really don't like. I mean I've never surfed the west coast so I don't like being recognized for a west coast spot (I've surfed Rincon, PR but that's another story).

So I'm at the Embassy Suites taking advantage of the free happy hour and this guy looks at my shirt and starts talking surfing. I give my same shirt disclaimer as above and carry on with the conversation. Anyway, turns out he used to surf with Tom Curren and drops a couple other names too. I mention that I know of Tom Curren but don't know a lot of the older west coast surfers. He kinda winces and I realize I inadvertantly called him old too. The conversation faded and I kicked myself for insulting the only other surfer in Nebraska.

A friend and I were heading to Rodanthe in OBX for what was expected to be good surf. I can't remember the month but we had boots/gloves/hoods with us. A nor'easter was sitting on top of us but expected to move offshore later that day.

We are just about to enter the refuge when we see this guy hitchhiking with his board. It was around 7-8am and I was driving my pickup (no cab), it was winter, raining and the wind was howling. Just cold and nasty. Not many rides to be found. Couldn't leave the guy beside the road so offered him a lift. Me: "Where ya headed?" Him: "I dunno, lighthouse maybe." I gave the option to wait for a better ride but he was stoked to get in the water so he hopped in the back.

We check it out in Rodanthe and ask him where he was coming from expecting to hear somewhere relatively close but he said he'd been hitching since the previous night all the way from Baltimore. He had to bum around rest stops until he found rides heading in the right direction.

Waves were good so we start suiting up but he still wants to check out the lighthouse. So he heads back to the main road for a lift further south. We see him out in Rodanthe an hour or so later and the guy is killing it. I saw him later that day back in town spending his last $6 at McDonalds.

I don't know what ever happened to the guy but he had more stoke than I could ever imagine. I mean, who hitchhikes from Baltimore to the OBX in winter, in freezing stormy conditions for a day trip. Then does the whole check the surf everywhere before you go out thing all while bumming rides the entire way.

I was down in the OBX a year or so ago, went to check on the waves and there was another guy looking to see what was doing....started BS'ing, brought up SI and turned out it was MasterJason from here.

It's a small world and always cool to run into a fellow SI'er.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    I almost went to Virginia Wesleyan for lacrosse 4 years ago. Do you like it their? Sometimes I regret my decision...

Stories... I don't have many stories, but like you, I love meeting people who are stoked on surfing. The other day I was checking the surf (it was pretty good), and a guy rolls up who looks like he is 50 or 60. Immediately, when I saw his face light up at the sight of the ocean I could tell he was a surfer. That grin is a dead give away. I'm sure each and every one of us gets that bubbling excitement when you roll up to the beach and it looks just like the wave you've been mind surfing all day in your cubicle. He picked up his phone, and called up another dude to share the stoke with.

I love people getting stoked up about surfing, whether it is a 70 year old logger, or a 7 year old grommet, nothing beats an ear to ear grin bobbing in the ocean.
    amen! i know exactly what you are talking about. I only have one friend who is stoked on surfing as i am but i love it. he pushes me to surf better every time im with him and every time we take trips we froth the whole way. Nothing is better.

As for wesleyan, its not bad at all man. Ha no way. When i first came in i tried to walk on for lacrosse but couldnt commit to it 100% b/c i live off campus. I live at the oceanfront so i just commute to school. I am very lucky to live two blocks from my spot!! I am an earth and enviormental science major so hopefully that keeps me close to the ocean. most of the professors are really helpful and will bend over backwards to help you in the science department.
    Last edited by 757surfer; Sep 4, 2013 at 05:09 PM.