LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help- firewire sweet potato or baked potato

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a new board, but wanted some input.

Looking for a board that can be ridden from 1"-3'. Was really thinking the sweet potato, but have read the baked potato is more performance.

I am willing to give-up some performance for speed and ease of catching waves- but wanted your input.

I'm 6.0, 195, so thinking 5.8 sp or 5.11 bp.

Thanks in advance

sweet potato is going to give you an edge in wave catching...and isn't that pretty much the goal? I would think baked pot is if you surf a lot and have your paddling game on. Don't just guess the appropriate size - use the firewire volume calculator (once you fill in your dims, it'll have a link to board suggestions underneath)
    Last edited by waterbaby; Sep 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM.

sweet potato

I have a sweet potato and it's my "daily board" but when the waves get stomach high or bigger a baked potato would be the call. For reference I'm 5'10 170lbs and I have a 5'4 and could easily ride a 5'2. Even at your size I wouldn't go over a 5'6. They have insane float and catch waves with ease.

Images
    I'm your size and ride a baked potato in anything from ankle high to shoulder high, my board is 5'9" . I can catch anything on that board that a sweet potato can, and it turns much easier. You could go much smaller on a sweet potato.
    Last edited by Zippy; Sep 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

sweet potato 5'6.. don't go to big on these.. i had a 5'4 at 170 and it was a boat.. sold it and got a 5'6 potatonator.. paddles better then the sweet and its 5L less volume.. its my dd and a much better performance board in the small stuff the the sweet..the sweet isn't a great paddler however it will skate over flats like a dream

i should add if you normally surf 1-3 mush then sweet it the call.. if its a beach break with any kinda punch the sweet doesn't fit into the curve of the wave well

I was looking for a 5-6, I'm around 5-6 myself and 140lbs. Damn, how much float do these things have? I kinda wanna try one out. Also, did you just order these online and had it shipped? Or picked it out froma distributor/shop?

Why don't you get a custom shape done for LESS than the cost of the FireWire? Support local shapers for cheaper and a better overall board! You could take the same shape of blend something of the bing dharma sweet potato and a fish

delass, i have a 5'6" sweet potato and the thing rocks, even in punchy shorebreak, I'm 5'11", 195lbs.
    Can't speak to the baked, but may pick one up here soon.
    McLovin, I would go shorter with your height & weight, at least down to a 5'2".
    Had a blast on mine today...there was a solid window of about 2 hours where it was crankin'.
    This surfing everyday...I could get used to.