LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaia Surfing

Alaia Surfing

Just curious, i am going to make an alaia just for fun but i was just looking for a second opinion one whether i could even ride it here. I am in north texas.

I didn't know there was ocean in North Texas. I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to ride it without some ocean.

you need waves with open faces to really ride alaia's well. But hey give it a go.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by texansurfer View Post
    Just curious, i am going to make an alaia just for fun but i was just looking for a second opinion one whether i could even ride it here. I am in north texas.
    What's your skill level? They're much tougher to ride than YouTube will have you believe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    What's your skill level? They're much tougher to ride than YouTube will have you believe.
    +1 They're are a lot harder than youtube has you believe. My friend made one and he hasnt stood up but 3 times in a total of 3 sessions. I think he said you need to learn to bodyboard on it and learn how it catches waves, ect. before you can even attempt to stand on it. But go for it! its a fun project and im sure youll be able to have a few rides.

Go for it. I've made three. I've never stood up on one but have caught a few using it as a bodyboard.....scary fast.

hey steve can you post a couple pics of yours? I'd love to see some homegrown alaia! Which type of wood did you use and how did you seal it?

Images
    Alaias.jpg

Here are a couple I built. Sealed with linseed oil. Paulownia is the wood you want to use if you can find it. It really depends how "green" you want to go. A linseed combination is good and will keep the water out especially with paulownia but a thin coat of resin will do the same thing and you won't have to reapply it again.

Alaias.jpg

Here are a couple I built. Sealed with linseed oil. Paulownia is the wood you want to use if you can find it. It really depends how "green" you want to go. A linseed combination is good and will keep the water out especially with paulownia but a thin coat of resin will do the same thing and you won't have to reapply it again.
    Look'n awesome man! You've been busy for sure.

What's up with you not posting build threads?

Alaias.jpg

You did a BA job on those man, awesome!