LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Solution to wet wetsuits!

    So guys
    I've been toying with a solution to a personal problem the last couple of days - regarding drying my wetsuits. I work for a small design bureau and do a little of 3d sketching. I thought about the rack you can use for hang-drying your clothes and then fold it together.! Ive been drawing some sketches of a rack that stands against the wall in the shower, around 1.8 meter or 5’9’’, but you can fold to ⅓ of the size. that way the whole suit can hang down and you can store the rack easy. have a friend that works with aluminium and he think its possible to build. Now I start to think that i might should bring my boss in on it, but would like to hear if any of you guys think it could be a good idea or just an undesirable add on, to all the other equipment on the market? Do you think there’s a need for it or should I just build it for myself?

  2. #2
    Yeah man go for it. East Coast winter surfers would dig it a LOT. I drive home from dawn patrol sessions still in suit and take it off in shower. Hey include something on there that lets gloves and boots hang to dry as well.
    Build yourself one, see how it goes, work out kinks and bugs and then let it FLY!
    Good luck

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSurf View Post
    So guys
    I've been toying with a solution to a personal problem the last couple of days - regarding drying my wetsuits. I work for a small design bureau and do a little of 3d sketching. I thought about the rack you can use for hang-drying your clothes and then fold it together.! Ive been drawing some sketches of a rack that stands against the wall in the shower, around 1.8 meter or 59, but you can fold to ⅓ of the size. that way the whole suit can hang down and you can store the rack easy. have a friend that works with aluminium and he think its possible to build. Now I start to think that i might should bring my boss in on it, but would like to hear if any of you guys think it could be a good idea or just an undesirable add on, to all the other equipment on the market? Do you think theres a need for it or should I just build it for myself?
    Surfers generally dont have or spend a lot of money. It might be a good idea but i just use a hanger and hang it in the shower.

  4. #4
    Great idea. Couple of suggestions/points to make:

    1. Surfers do spend money. We like to think of surfer's as people on tight budgets, living off the land, not into materialism, etc... but the truth is, all the major brands are billion dollar a year companies, board prices have skyrocketed (and we still buy them), and prices have generally gone up. 10 years ago i bought a top of the line 5/4 wetsuit for $230 bucks. thought it was crazy expensive. Now the top of the line suits are close to $500. And everyone still buys them.
    2. At $500 a suit, people will spend the extra $20 to make them last longer.
    3. I don't like to hang my suit by a hangar when its wet. I worry that a wet wetsuit, when hanging just by the hanger, puts too much weight/pressure on the shoulder areas, and possibly stretches the suit out. Maybe i'm worrying too much, but at $500 a suit, I do everything i can to take care of it.
    4. I currently use a household drying rack, as you explained. Drape it over the top, and i think it dries quicker than hanging it by a hanger, as the water has two directions to drain (down the legs and down the arms). YOU NEED TO DIFFERENTIATE YOURSELF FROM THIS DEVICE.
    5. Make extensions for booties and gloves, and have an extra rack for a towel.
    6. Have an upgraded model that has a base plate with a small fan in it. Air movement is key to drying something out.

    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    board prices have skyrocketed
    That's funny, but the reality is that surfboards have increased disproportionately with the economy and the increase that was observed a few years ago was a proportional adjustment because the artificially low prices were not sustainable.

    Gallon of Milk in 1963 50 cents
    Gallon of Milk in 2013 $3.50
    7 times increase

    9' Hobie Surfboard in 1963 $135
    9' Hobie Surfboard in 2013 $1040
    7 time increase

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Navesink, New Jersey
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by gallerysurfboards View Post

    Gallon of Milk in 1963 50 cents
    Gallon of Milk in 2013 $3.50
    7 times increase

    9' Hobie Surfboard in 1963 $135
    9' Hobie Surfboard in 2013 $1040
    7 time increase
    an ounce of herb in 1969 $15
    an ounce of herb in 2013 $300
    I'd prefer a 7x increase...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyldo View Post
    an ounce of herb in 1969 $15
    an ounce of herb in 2013 $300
    I'd prefer a 7x increase...
    you get it in potency

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UGHHH! :(
    Posts
    307
    I think I get what you're saying. The rack folds up against the wall, and then extends out when in use where the wetsuits can hang off it and drip into the tub. I'm not sure about using aluminum (rust). Maybe plastic or the environmentally friendly marine grade waterproofed cedar or bamboo. Bamboo is already in a round bar like shape too!

    Also hardcore designers and surfers could get it to attach to the hinges in to shower door. Then all you have to do is make the bars that the suit hangs on.

    dig it.jpg
    Last edited by bassplayer; Sep 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the tits
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    I think I get what you're saying. The rack folds up against the wall, and then extends out when in use where the wetsuits can hang off it and drip into the tub. I'm not sure about using aluminum (rust). Maybe plastic or the environmentally friendly marine grade waterproofed cedar or bamboo. Bamboo is already in a round bar like shape too!

    Also hardcore designers and surfers could get it to attach to the hinges in to shower door. Then all you have to do is make the bars that the suit hangs on.

    dig it.jpg
    aluminum works great in marine environments.

  10. #10
    remember billabong has been deemed financially worthless.
    If the surfing market was so flush with cash, local shapers would be driving around in benz' and bmw's.

Tags for this Thread