LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Just a few days ago i think i heard a swimmer yell shark when i was surfing but ididnt take it serious cause it was memorial weekened and the tourists are here. But sharks do scare me just as well a jellyfish.

was out on the LB today in myrtle and me and my buddy saw about a 4 or 5 ft shark a few feet from us....we got out....drove 15 minutes to another spot and saw 2 more at 48th ave.

surf wasnt good enough today to risk it.

Cool sharks arent gonna bother ya

Just ignore them.

its their home, your surfing in it.

just be on the look out for when the fishermen clean off there fish and chuck their chum off the pier near where your surfing haha.

then ya kno to peace!

i've had my fair share of shark encounters. never been bittin, and im still surfing.

4. Remember if a shark does try to bite you clock it in the noes.

Images
    They make "Shark Repellent" things, and "Anti-Shark" things. They produce a bit of electrical energy. Which clutters the sharks brain.

Think of it this way, the sharks head has upwards of a few thousand small receptacles which receive differences in electrical fields in the water (to attract them to prey) Some sharks can detect 1/billionth of a volt. These products produce a small electrical field in the water (attaches to the ankle like a leash) which gives it like a 10ft radius. I was watching this on Discovery channel. They were saying that someone tested a slightly stronger one, the diver was in the water with a few white sharks and as soon as the shark would get near, it would sense the STRONG field around the person and freak out and swim away.

Here are a few things I have read about recently.

First, sharks don't like to eat humans. We don't taste good. Most people are bitten because it thinks we are something else.

If you are bitten, swim smoothly toward the beach.

As mentioned, don't flail around eratically. This makes them think you are a wounded fish.

There is power in numbers. They will go for the 'weak link' or the guy swimming by himself away from everyone else.

And as WB/PIRATE (who I think I should be friends with, since I, too, am a pirate) said, punch it in the nose. Also, if you can get a thumb in its eye, that works to.

TBING, I have seen things about that, but it seems to me like it would hinder your surfing to the point where it would be pointless. I'd be interested to see some real testing though.

If the waves are the typical mush and I see a shark, i may head in for a few minutes and then head back out if I really want to keep surfing. If it is good, I will usually brave it out for a little while until my nerves get shot if the shark is still hanging around. I seem to get more freaked out in september when all the fish are running and all of a sudden the water around you gets really dark from the school that is surrounding you. I don't usually wait to see a shark then, I may just head on in or paddle away from the fish if possible.

a couple of years ago something got ahold of my arm, but let go immediately. It felt like alligator's teeth (rounded vs sharp like sharks), but I didn't see anything in the water. Needless to say, I freaked out and held all my limbs in the air for about a minute, then hightailed it back to shore. It just happened to be a decent day then, so I walked up the beach about half a mile then went back out.

About the statistics for dying in a car accident vs being in the water, you gotta consider that going in the water many times increases your chances. I would like to see how the statistics are for the average joe surfer getting attacked by a shark vs everyone that goes into the water.

Their gills are also very sensitive and close enough to grab a hold of if you can think clearly while being attacked. Ever try punching underwater?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse13 View Post
    TBING, I have seen things about that, but it seems to me like it would hinder your surfing to the point where it would be pointless. I'd be interested to see some real testing though.
    The way the surfing one works, it attaches to the leash... so unless you surf without a leash I don't think it would hinder the surfing at all.

Images
    Ever try doing anything but flailing around madly when being ripped apart by a shark? Your best bet is to punch it in the nose because once that animal sinks its teeth in you're pretty much screwed

Quote Originally Posted by windyhillsurfer View Post
    About the statistics for dying in a car accident vs being in the water, you gotta consider that going in the water many times increases your chances. I would like to see how the statistics are for the average joe surfer getting attacked by a shark vs everyone that goes into the water.
    ?
    Well from what I have read, surfers account for 45% of all shark attacks, but you have to keep in mind that we are the ones who are in the water 5 times a week, even several times a week through the entire winter. Where as others are only in the water for 4 months a year.