LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    About shark repellant: Did you read the latest surfer mag. Whatever new device they tried out on the whites didnt work very well, one shark tried to eat it. So there findings were inconclusive.
    I think everyone thinks about it once in a while, but as mentioned above, i like surfing with a few friends. Theres nothing scarier than being out on a cold winter's day and being the only surfer in the water. On another note, most of the sharks around here are harmless, the one i would fear is the bullshark. Anyway, happy surfing!!

Bullsharks are what I am mainly worried about. Sandsharks aren't much of a threat. Bullsharks are just super aggressive.

Wink

It is all part of our sport. No matter what you wear you are bound to run into a shark from time to time. All you can do is be smart about it. Sounds like they hit the right electrical charge in that shark repellent, for the shark at least

LeeM Guest

Sharks

In my previous life in the Coast Guard, we flew (patrolled) the beaches from MB to Daytona. You would be amazed at the number of small (5ft or less) sharks that were in the surf, around people, etc. It took a lot of the fear out of me, since not many beach goers got bit.

Now well offshore St Simons, there is a hammerhead breeding ground. That scared me!

Images
    Shark Camo is a new Swellinfo reporter from pismo beach - selling the shark repellent decals for boards.

I'd be interested to see any actual, independent info on that. From what I have read, sharks pick up on things that have high contrast like black and white wetsuits and baggies. I've been reading to wear solid colors instead of things with high contrast and hard lines.

*EDIT*
    He said the same thing at the end of the podcast.
    Last edited by eclipse13; May 31, 2008 at 05:45 AM.

I was watching something on the discovery channel and it actually proved that your chances of being bitten largely increase if your wearing a brighter color, even if it is solid, and black was the best choice in wetsuits and such.

Images
    One thing to think about is if you have a cut, and you are bleeding, you may want to get out of the water.

Images
    I Will Eat A Shark

I ate shark once. It was so long ago I don't remember what it tasted like.