LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Body Boarding

Images
    How bout cores SI? Do you have a PE for the winter? If so, do you notice a big difference?

Images
    I dont current have a PE board... But a lot of the PP cores are different, or at least the boards themselves in combination with skin, stringers, etc vary quite a bit in their stiffness. I think a PE core for the winter is a good idea. I like having some flex, and especially for steep waves on the bottom turn.

The Hubboard has a really nice stiffness/flex for me in warm weather. We'll see how it behaves in the cold.

Images
    Yeah I saw a bunch of the new Custom X boards(and others) with 'mesh' cores and such. I've had no issues w/ my PP in the cold, just wondering if Im missing anything. Cool to hear good stuff about the Hubboards...I was thinking about getting an Anomaly custom w/ a PE, from what i hear they do customs at a really good price.

Images
    I don't mess with customs anymore, because I could never seem to get the dimensions right. So, i just try to find stock boards that work. The Hubboards have the mesh in there, which makes for really good flex.

5. I keep wondering about a whole new board design. At 6'0" - 200 lbs. I've used everything from the old Morey Mach 7 to my current NMD 45". My idea is thinner with appropriate stringer to compensate the density. I don't need more float. I can swim, and my fins are my acceleration. If a bodysurfer can get lift from a McDonald's tray or even a old school Paipo board, then a Sponge that is thinner with denser foam/honeycomb design and properly placed triple strings (two in the tail and one in the nose, or what about parabolic nose stringers- I like my flex). Point is, with everything going on in surfboard design, I feel like the engineering going on in sponge design has become a bit stagnant. Then again, have board will shred. I even like using a 38 or 40". I feel foot thrust and and acceleration, as well as foot placement when on the wave, are far more important than the board you use, thus fin choice is what I feel effects my performance most. As others have state, smaller board equates better steep wave/deep in barrel position.

Have you guys seen Andre Botha's bodyboard tutorial? He cracks me up... but did make me think of things I hadn't thought of before (particularly that boards bend/flex slowly as you store them which can change their rocker). I also like how he says that good boards don't have any weird padding/bulbs/shapes on them but the sponsored boards with his name on them have all that crap.

http://vimeo.com/75206241

He has another one on "catching waves" which has a nice explanation of how to pick bigger set waves vs. smaller nugget waves and some discussion of how to pick up speed.

epictetus,
    i realize customs are pretty expensive, but if you want a specific board for a specific condition, it's the way to go. have you ever heard of Ballistic board? pretty solid company based in Hawai'i. check it out (www.getballistic.com). the owner, Carlos Rios, is a real nice guy, and very humble. i have collaborated with him with making flowboards for the flowrider. to this day, the boards he had made for me on chlorinated water is still way solid, and it gets more abused than any ocean boards. if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.
    Aloha

Spunjer:
    Yeah I'm not sure I am quite ready for a custom yet -- although if I had a laminating machine/access to one it would be kinda cool to try to make my own? The BZ is the first "real" bodyboard I owned, before that it was all cheapo EPS boards that would crease/break in any serious waves, so I don't really know enough about how different shapes/sizes/cores/etc ride yet to know what to get in a custom board.

You might want to try a thin stringerless EPS/epoxy paipo for the flex you want, experiment with thicknesses and whether you want to add a form of stringer (center or near rails). Talk to a shaper that understands EPS/epoxy options.

Quote Originally Posted by thisguysthumbs View Post
    I keep wondering about a whole new board design. At 6'0" - 200 lbs. I've used everything from the old Morey Mach 7 to my current NMD 45". My idea is thinner with appropriate stringer to compensate the density. I don't need more float. I can swim, and my fins are my acceleration. If a bodysurfer can get lift from a McDonald's tray or even a old school Paipo board, then a Sponge that is thinner with denser foam/honeycomb design and properly placed triple strings (two in the tail and one in the nose, or what about parabolic nose stringers- I like my flex). Point is, with everything going on in surfboard design, I feel like the engineering going on in sponge design has become a bit stagnant. Then again, have board will shred. I even like using a 38 or 40". I feel foot thrust and and acceleration, as well as foot placement when on the wave, are far more important than the board you use, thus fin choice is what I feel effects my performance most. As others have state, smaller board equates better steep wave/deep in barrel position.

Images
    you know what i like sponging. im going to sponge up the ocean with my big old ****.