LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    People in Texas travel to the break. Not everyone lives a block from the water. I have a friend in Austin that drives to surfside twice a week and a lot of people from Austin drive to corpus for surf. I don't know where you're from, but a 3 hour drive to surf any of the tropical storms we have been getting is well worth it. I can't believe no one here drives more then a few minutes to get to the surf. There is not an ocean in Santa Rosa or Sacramento, but clearly some You guys live on the beach. Oh yeah, there's not an ocean in Houston ether, but they drive over an hour to get HERE.
    Last edited by les freese; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Yeah, 3 hours is nothing for a day of surfing. I know people that have longer commutes to work, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by les freese View Post
    People in Texas travel to the break. Not everyone lives a block from the water. I have a friend in Austin that drives to surfside twice a week and a lot of people from Austin drive to corpus for surf. I don't know where you're from, but a 3 hour drive to surf any of the tropical storms we have been getting is well worth it. I can't believe no one here drives more then a few minutes to get to the surf. There is not an ocean in Santa Rosa or Sacramento, but clearly some You guys live on the beach. Oh yeah, there's not an ocean in Houston ether, but they drive over an hour to get HERE.
    I live in Florida, surrounded by water, and still drive 2 to 2.5hrs each way to surf, occasionally if I hit the Gulf if it's working and it's only 45 minutes from work, maybe an hour from home, each way. But still, lots of driving, it's always worth it to get in the ocean though, good waves or not.

I've made the drive from Austin home to CC more times than I can ever remember. Last time was in June and I took the Toll Rd to the 10, did triple digits until the interstate. If you take 37, watch out for cops from north of 3 Rivers to mathis and stop at Van's in Oakville, their sauce ain't the best; but I like the brisket. I like the 183 to 80, to 123, to the 181 and going through Rockport too, lotta cops around Bville though. DO NOT GET STOPPED IN BEEVILLE. That way you can stop in Luling or Lockhart for bbq. Black's in Lockhart or Luling BBq or City Meat Market in Luling. I've gotten a lot of tickets over the years making that drive; but there are some wide open stretches of two lane blacktop.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 20, 2013 at 03:20 AM.

Yep, I live in Austin and drive 3.5 hrs each way at least 2x a month to surf Corpus / Port A / Surfside etc. Have a number of friends who do the same. Yeah, TX waves are usually weak and choppy but they do get pretty good sometimes and hey, they're what we've got. Stoke, it's funny thing.

Central Texas Surf Squad: I know several people who regularly carpool down but can't find your Facebook group. Could you post another link? Maybe there's an issue with your privacy settings?

Edit: link seems to be working now.
    Last edited by tonylamont; Sep 19, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Hey, great to see there are some more of us surf commuters on here! I acctually got a ticket in Beevile when I first started making regular trips out there. Needless to say, i'm usually very cautious while driving through there now...

It looks like you have to be logged into facebook for the link to work. If any of y'all can't get it working you can just email me and i'll let you know next time something is brewing.

Images
    2+ for me to get to surfside, always worth it! I emailed you. CC is a little far for me but maybe we could meet up in surfside. Dawn Patrol SUP, I wish I was where you are!

Quote Originally Posted by natkitchen View Post
    Dawn Patrol SUP, I wish I was where you are!
    Yeah, it aint so bad, still trying to move closer, but it aint so bad for now

TS Karen is coming so fill the tanks up and be safe. I don't know if i'm driving to Gorda or just stay in Surfside this Saturday. Looks like we're going to be on the clean side this time.

I lived directly on the beach, literally my porch was in the sand, for a good part of my life. Though I loved living at the beach, now that I have to drive 15 minutes to get there I appreciate it much more. Also when you have to drive any distance to get there if the waves aren't perfect you still surf. When I lived on the beach unless it was perfect I didn't go out. I surf more living away from the beach then I did when I lived there. My car also lasts longer now that its not permanently parked in the salty air!

Another thing about having a beach house like that is you can never leave. Everybody always wants to come to your house. Its like running a hotel/bar.