LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Surfsols? Training Booties?

Have you guys seen these yet? Its a pretty interesting concept. Apparently they're not meant to replace a conventional wax setup but they for training. What do you guys think?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ick-your-trick

not sure what the training value would be....

I was asked to visit this forum from a couple kickstarter backers. I'm Jason, the founder of SurfSols. I know you won't hold back and that's exactly what needs to happen here. All doubts, skepticisms, and even worse are encouraged.

I originally created SurfSols because my progress, or lack there of, was frustrating. I wanted to get better at surfing. NOt just the ability to performa air-reverses but actually become a better surfer all around. So what are the current options????? Surf more, skateboard, indo-board, yoga, swim, wakeboard, snowboard, wakesurf, kitesurf??? Nothing, other than surfing, is extremely relevant or effective. So why aren't there in-water surf-centric tools to foster progression? This void left me searching at first, then eventually led me to developing a solution.

I'm NOT solely creating a product. My hopes are to unveil a new platform for progression. To create a new market within the industry. Porgression oriented aids or tools that are effective and simple. SurfSols is just the first step of many to assist surfers to become more proficient at their craft. This isn't a get rich quick scheme. The industry has a real need for surf progression.

Let's talk about training...

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    not sure what the training value would be....
    Value of training= is not only to progress faster but also to progress beyond one's potential if they didn't otherwise train.

Think about conventional training outside of surfing...gym, football, soccer, baseball, golf etc.Again, think outside of surfing for a moment. An athlete is trying to achieve a goal. Be it strength, balance, or muscle memory, training is rooted by a goal or ambition. So how do we train?

The problem is that you can't slide your feet...You want to be able to move your feet on your board. Sometimes you need to be further up or back.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    The problem is that you can't slide your feet...You want to be able to move your feet on your board. Sometimes you need to be further up or back.
    because you have to move your feet to surf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOU8aY3Dt_c

gnarliest wave on the planet, no foot movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Manok_Surf View Post

Gnarliest wave is def open to debate and using velcro pads to learn chop hops and airs (the only good use I can see of this product) is kind of cheating don't ya think? In addition the tow in boards foot straps are pre placed to where the rider wants their feet to be, with the pads you may pop up in the wrong place then fall trying to unstick and move your feet. If anything I think this would hinder learning to surf and potentially cause new surfers to injure their knee/ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Gnarliest wave is def open to debate and using velcro pads to learn chop hops and airs (the only good use I can see of this product) is kind of cheating don't ya think? In addition the tow in boards foot straps are pre placed to where the rider wants their feet to be, with the pads you may pop up in the wrong place then fall trying to unstick and move your feet. If anything I think this would hinder learning to surf and potentially cause new surfers to injure their knee/ankle.
    How do we train?

We add weight, we put obstacles in our way (like a mountain or agility ladder). We run sprints, we sweat, we work hard right?

SurfSols isn't a facilitator is the sense that it makes surfing easier and is a cure-all. Though I posit, adding this tool to your quiver will yield results.

At first, you place your feet in a poor location. That's bad right? Now you're stuck and like rcarter said you'll fall. But what he failed to comment on, was the human mind! You're going to try and salvage that wave. THe feeling of poor foot placement on your pop becomes engrained in your sub-conscience. Your brain reacts. You adjust!!!!!!!! You are training an extremely fundamental aspect of surfing both physically and mentally. Ingrain the perfect pop up.

You aren't aware of your unnecessary movements on your pop up that require you to wiggle or slide your feet into place. This tool BRINGS AWARENESS in a very simple and easily understood way.

When you fall, the SurfSols disengages quite easily, unlike bindings for tow in riders (possible alternate use of SurfSols?) Injuries are immanent with any sport and surfing as you know could lead to death quite easily. But this tool doesn't have you stuck permanently to the board.

OK dipsh*t... So if you paddled in to the wave you wouldn't want to move up on your board when in the barrel??? Oh.. My bad. I didn't realize you had no idea what the fu*k you were talking about.
    Go watch Blue Crush and get back to me when you've learned something.

Performance surfing is much different than big wave riding.
    If you are riding a shortboard and not changing foot position on waves, you are not surfing to you full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    I agree with you 100%. The benefit of being able to move your feet is HUGE. This is NOT a replacement for wax or a new way of surfing. SurfSols is a training aid, a tool that a surfer can use to elicit a desired goal.

Most sports have a number of training devices, drills, and instructional videos. I want to develop and expand how surfing is practiced. At the moment, most people go out to surf what the mother earth has provided, and that's fine! But there are many going out to work on their bottom turn, or snap, or evening to learn how to stand up period. At the core, this product teaches you so so much about how stance and your pop affect your surfing experience.

Not being able to adjust your stance creates a few things:

1) awareness. Ok, who cares about awareness? You will once you realize your blowing waves because of a poor habit.

2) good habits. A solid stance and pop improve your ability to make that wave, to shed time off your pop up, to teach you better foot placement when dropping into a barrel.

3) muscle memory. You'll repeat this process over and over and you'll perfect an effective and dependable stance. You'll become stronger. If poor foot placement occurs, your sub-conscience trying to salvage the wave uses different motions and muscles to maintain your balance and speed. Muscles and movements you wouldn't have know about had you not used an aid.

4) appreciation for wax and you conventional setup. Again, THIS IS NOT A CURE-ALL OR NEW SPORT! The whole idea behind a training tool is so that form and function TRANSLATE into your traditional set up.

5) trick variations and expansion. Learning chop hops is cool, but it's more powerful than that. improve your switch riding. Land more tricks and improve your confidence. Increase your feel and awareness of your board. Learn to tackle whitewash.