LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    I'm also looking to make a return to snowboarding this winter, yet on pow sans bindings.
    Do you realize how many people around the planet are laughing at you? Do you? You've got to be the biggest ****ing loser kook in the universe and yet somehow you think you're cool. A return to snowboarding? Come up to AK friend and I'll introduce you to your snowboard. Pow? In MA? Where, exactly, Jiminy Peak? Hahahahahahahauahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah..............

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Do you realize how many people around the planet are laughing at you? Do you? You've got to be the biggest ****ing loser kook in the universe and yet somehow you think you're cool. A return to snowboarding? Come up to AK friend and I'll introduce you to your snowboard. Pow? In MA? Where, exactly, Jiminy Peak? Hahahahahahahauahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah..............
    You back on your meds man? Mass has weak-@ss mountains, true. But New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine have some nice mountains, AND occasionally some powder. I'm sure it's nothing like Alaska (la-di-fricken-da) but not everyone is willing to sacrifice contact with civilization for crazy waves and mountains. I'm not blaming you. Just saying get off your high horse ya arse.

Emass by sans bindings you mean like this? Cause that sh!t is rad as hell!

I was asked to visit this forum from a couple kickstarter backers. I'm Jason, the founder of SurfSols. I know you won't hold back and that's exactly what needs to happen here. All doubts, skepticisms, and even worse are encouraged.

I originally created SurfSols because my progress, or lack there of, was frustrating. I wanted to get better at surfing. NOt just the ability to performa air-reverses but actually become a better surfer all around. So what are the current options????? Surf more, skateboard, indo-board, yoga, swim, wakeboard, snowboard, wakesurf, kitesurf??? Nothing, other than surfing, is extremely relevant or effective. So why aren't there in-water surf-centric tools to foster progression? This void left me searching at first, then eventually led me to developing a solution.

I'm NOT solely creating a product. My hopes are to unveil a new platform for progression. To create a new market within the industry. Porgression oriented aids or tools that are effective and simple. SurfSols is just the first step of many to assist surfers to become more proficient at their craft. This isn't a get rich quick scheme. The industry has a real need for surf progression.

Let's talk about training...

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    not sure what the training value would be....
    Value of training= is not only to progress faster but also to progress beyond one's potential if they didn't otherwise train.

Think about conventional training outside of surfing...gym, football, soccer, baseball, golf etc.Again, think outside of surfing for a moment. An athlete is trying to achieve a goal. Be it strength, balance, or muscle memory, training is rooted by a goal or ambition. So how do we train?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Gnarliest wave is def open to debate and using velcro pads to learn chop hops and airs (the only good use I can see of this product) is kind of cheating don't ya think? In addition the tow in boards foot straps are pre placed to where the rider wants their feet to be, with the pads you may pop up in the wrong place then fall trying to unstick and move your feet. If anything I think this would hinder learning to surf and potentially cause new surfers to injure their knee/ankle.
    How do we train?

We add weight, we put obstacles in our way (like a mountain or agility ladder). We run sprints, we sweat, we work hard right?

SurfSols isn't a facilitator is the sense that it makes surfing easier and is a cure-all. Though I posit, adding this tool to your quiver will yield results.

At first, you place your feet in a poor location. That's bad right? Now you're stuck and like rcarter said you'll fall. But what he failed to comment on, was the human mind! You're going to try and salvage that wave. THe feeling of poor foot placement on your pop becomes engrained in your sub-conscience. Your brain reacts. You adjust!!!!!!!! You are training an extremely fundamental aspect of surfing both physically and mentally. Ingrain the perfect pop up.

You aren't aware of your unnecessary movements on your pop up that require you to wiggle or slide your feet into place. This tool BRINGS AWARENESS in a very simple and easily understood way.

When you fall, the SurfSols disengages quite easily, unlike bindings for tow in riders (possible alternate use of SurfSols?) Injuries are immanent with any sport and surfing as you know could lead to death quite easily. But this tool doesn't have you stuck permanently to the board.

Would it give you a little more mobility to only use it on your front foot?

Other than a very real potential to screw up your knee, I think having one foot firmly attached to your board would still give an added level of control in the air plus you'd have the ability to shift your weight fore/aft when conditions dictate it.

just my $.02 worth of constructive criticism

You ask how do we train? Get in the water and surf. No offense meant by that and you did ask for honesty. My 8 year old son stood up for the first time this summer after body boarding for the last 2-3 years. I was shocked by how quickly he got it, 10 minuets out and three tries later boom he stood up, rode straight till the wave died out and did it 20 more times that day. Surfing is about balance and the ways you mentioned above to train are great to improve your balance. If after practice in and out of the water you still do not have the balance to surf with out velcroing your self to a board it's probably time to look at another sport besides surfing.

Oh and there is no perfect pop up. Steeper waves call for being further back to not bury the nose, mellower waves more forward to trim. If you think you should pop up in the same spot every time you need to really learn more about surfing and trimming. This does not hold true for tow boards where you do not pop up, do stay in one place and simply hold on for your life in massive waves. The comment about if you pop up in the wrong spot you will still try to salvage the wave and thus learn poor foot position implys you think a rider on a normal board would not move his/her feet to get in the right position. Do you believe this? If so have you ever surfed not velcroed to the board?
    Last edited by rcarter; Sep 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    The problem is that you can't slide your feet...You want to be able to move your feet on your board. Sometimes you need to be further up or back.
    I agree with you 100%. The benefit of being able to move your feet is HUGE. This is NOT a replacement for wax or a new way of surfing. SurfSols is a training aid, a tool that a surfer can use to elicit a desired goal.

Most sports have a number of training devices, drills, and instructional videos. I want to develop and expand how surfing is practiced. At the moment, most people go out to surf what the mother earth has provided, and that's fine! But there are many going out to work on their bottom turn, or snap, or evening to learn how to stand up period. At the core, this product teaches you so so much about how stance and your pop affect your surfing experience.

Not being able to adjust your stance creates a few things:

1) awareness. Ok, who cares about awareness? You will once you realize your blowing waves because of a poor habit.

2) good habits. A solid stance and pop improve your ability to make that wave, to shed time off your pop up, to teach you better foot placement when dropping into a barrel.

3) muscle memory. You'll repeat this process over and over and you'll perfect an effective and dependable stance. You'll become stronger. If poor foot placement occurs, your sub-conscience trying to salvage the wave uses different motions and muscles to maintain your balance and speed. Muscles and movements you wouldn't have know about had you not used an aid.

4) appreciation for wax and you conventional setup. Again, THIS IS NOT A CURE-ALL OR NEW SPORT! The whole idea behind a training tool is so that form and function TRANSLATE into your traditional set up.

5) trick variations and expansion. Learning chop hops is cool, but it's more powerful than that. improve your switch riding. Land more tricks and improve your confidence. Increase your feel and awareness of your board. Learn to tackle whitewash.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Emass by sans bindings you mean like this? Cause that sh!t is rad as hell!
    http://youtu.be/mM4lXJk5W5E
    That looks like a blast. What happens when you fall?? I guess gravity will eventually bring it to the ocean but I'd hate to be in its way 100yds down the slope.

As said in the first page of this thread you really need to check with the Admin about advertising on this site, we have enough pop and banner ads on the side with out threads like this. Talking about your product is fine just as Roy did in his build thread but posting a link to your website that asks for dontations is a quick way to bansville baby.