LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    no offense but at 85 I would tell the doctor to f@ck off. Better to enjoy the remaining few years than play it safe.

Last kooky thing I saw that surprised me?

A guy with those gloves with fabric between the fingers and booties paddles out to the reef and rips.

I should have known, because he paddled a half mile to get there, but I was surprised nonetheless.

Another time I saw a guy in a Costco foamie surfing head high better than anyone else in the lineup.

Don't judge a book...

At the risk of sounding very kooky, why is it so critical to put your board on the car with the fin in the front? I'm just not seeing the benefit of doing this, and I dominated high school physics.

force of wind pushes board backward. fins forward catch on the straps and prevent it from shooting out of the rack.

I see the logic, but let me explain why I think it's flawed. The fattest part of the board is the mid point. If your straps are on either side of the mid point, and you're not a complete dunce, there shouldn't be any risk of it sliding through the straps. Then again, better to be safe than sorry...thanks for learning me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    At the risk of sounding very kooky, why is it so critical to put your board on the car with the fin in the front? I'm just not seeing the benefit of doing this, and I dominated high school physics.
    As pumpaster said, the fins will catch the straps if the board starts to slide. I have witnessed another man's horror story and believe me, it is not a pretty sight when a board slides off your rack at 45 mph.

Additionally, I believe that 'nose first' may put unneeded pressure on the nose which may lead to stress cracks or weak spots; especially when strapping up boards with more nose rocker.

I see the logic, but let me explain why I think it's flawed. The fattest part of the board is the mid point. If your straps are on either side of the mid point, and you're not a complete dunce, there shouldn't be any risk of it sliding through the straps. Then again, better to be safe than sorry...thanks for learning me.
    MA is this you:

except that gradually the force of the wind will loosen the straps which could allow the mid-point to slide through.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    force of wind pushes board backward. fins forward catch on the straps and prevent it from shooting out of the rack.
    That is only true for certain rack mounting systems. I have stated before that my Thule surfboard carrier has rubber L shaped holders that adjust to fit against the rails. There is no way the board could slide back without the brackets moving. It could fly up, which would mean your straps have already failed. In this carrier, I place boards with more rocker nose first, and longer flatter boards (my buddies 10' Allison) tail first. The aggressive rocker boards help push down into the brackets, due to airflow at speed. Mounting these backwards would create slight lift and put more stress on the straps. I can see the need to have the tail forward on simple flat rack carriers, as there is no support to keep the board from sliding back other than some straps. This just doesn't apply to all mounting systems. But hey, if people want to look at it as a general kook thing, they can go right ahead.

Thank you dlrouen for this clarification. I was born ass first, and apparently that has translated into all kinds of odd behavior over the years, including putting my boards on the roof nose first. I will correct this aberrant behavior in the future, to avoid stress cracks and the calamity of having my board shoot off the roof and fly through the windshield of some poor fella. Hope you got a few nugs lately -sea and land nugs :-)