LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    We could all be totally wrong, so do whatever makes you sleep at night. A few years ago, I was driving over the CB bridge and I witnessed some dude's board fly right off his roof. He was riding nose first, so lesson learned. Sorry, nose first renegades, I'll always ride fins first. I haven't used racks in years, so maybe things have changed during that time. I walk to my break now. And yes, I've been catching a few nugs here and there. I hope you're getting your fair share too! Make sure to eat your fruit! I'm going to the grocery store today to pick up some grapefruit. Health is wealth!

Are you sure you're not a rack engineer too? I am not an engineer of anything and I was terrible in all the scientific/mathematical courses, but here's my take: take a shortboard for example. When loaded nose first, the nose literally curves around the roof of the car towards the hood. When you're driving down the road, you presumably get two kinds of wind pressure. The first is the wind that hits your hood/windshield and rolls off. As the wind flows up the windshield, the wind will immediately catch your nose, which may cause the unneeded pressure that I was referring to. The second is the direct head-on wind, which would hit the underside of your nose and roll of; almost like a second windshield. If the tail was first, the wind would flow between the board and the roof with little to no obstruction.

"Always drive with your fins first." - Mark Twain
    Wind is always caught between the board and the roof, especially with the tail forward. If you have a board with rocker, that air will then hit the angled down nose at the rear. This puts additional force on the nose, along with some turbulence that is not favorable. If you have this same board nose first, it allows the air to flow over top (more than in between). This does place some force down on the board, but greatly improves aerodynamics. This is all a moot point if you are not using a rack system like the one I have. I know most surfers traditionally use the strapped flat rack setup, which should really be a tail first situation for safety.
    I am not a board rack engineer, but I have taken two aerodynamics courses in college.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Sep 24, 2013 at 03:18 PM.

Thank you brewengineer for the link to the Thule Hang Two Surf Carrier. Nice product at a very good price. Does anyone know of any locking rack systems to prevent theft?

am i the only one who ever had a bar of sticky bumps permanently welded/melted into the glovebox?a few years ago during summer id wax the board up and throw the rest into the glovebox.then one day i went to retrive it and it was impossible.i sold the car with the wax intact.also the trunk of the car had wax molded to it from years of layin the board down.sun + wax doesnt add up.or u get to the beach with a board with old wax,lay it down and sit there for 15 minutes and before u paddle out,u can literally take a finger to the board and the wax comes right off.thats why i started waxing my chest.i never strapped a board to the roof,id usually have the nose stick out the sunroof.i remember one day early june since it was the day of my nephews birthday,i went for a sesh before heading over to my brothers,driven,board stickin out the roof,i had this girls number written on a napkin,i put the window down for a smoke,and i remember watchin the napkin go airborne,and im like no no no no no lol,and it flys right out the window.that was before everybody had cellphones.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    How about gas mileage and aerodynamics? If you takeoff in the water fin first the board spins around 180 degrees. Does this translate into excessive wind resistance when the board is on top of the car fin in front? Does this cause more torque to vibrate through the board during high speed travel, causing micro cell collapse in the foam and glass? I think a board bag would keep board damage to a minimum, but create more drag and less fuel efficiency. I have an SUV so I only strap my longboard on top when I have a passenger, otherwise it says inside, out of the sun. It is dark green and gets hotter than hell in the Florida sunshine. The boardbag wont zip anymore so that is not an option.
    This is a damned interesting point. I'm totally torn. I'm just gonna strap it to the roof sideways, fins up.

For clarification, that picture is not me. This is me:

david-hasselhoff-07.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    This is a damned interesting point. I'm totally torn. I'm just gonna strap it to the roof sideways, fins up.

For clarification, that picture is not me. This is me:

david-hasselhoff-07.jpg
    if you think about it when a board is wax side down its like an airplane wing creating lift, and when it fins in front its like a backwards weather vane so it will want to turn around and go with the wind. so i must conclude logically that fins back, wax side up is the best way aerodynamically speaking. you would need some sort of board tampon on top to prevent the wax from melting.......not kooky at all.

Here's a pic of how I do it in my Pious:

tumblr_msof8fPPHf1qcamf1o1_400.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Here's a pic of how I do it in my Pious:

tumblr_msof8fPPHf1qcamf1o1_400.jpg
    This is how I roll:

Then again, sometimes I just ride to the beach.

^^ A true fashion icon, a trendsetter, and a man about town. Way to rock the Casbah! LMAO

Images
    i love when i drop deep and someone drops in on my wave. does it really kill someone to look both ways.

Well I took "How to not be a Kook" in college... 1st lesson, wax down and fins in the Front...

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Wind is always caught between the board and the roof, especially with the tail forward. If you have a board with rocker, that air will then hit the angled down nose at the rear. This puts additional force on the nose, along with some turbulence that is not favorable. If you have this same board nose first, it allows the air to flow over top (more than in between). This does place some force down on the board, but greatly improves aerodynamics. This is all a moot point if you are not using a rack system like the one I have. I know most surfers traditionally use the strapped flat rack setup, which should really be a tail first situation for safety.
    I am not a board rack engineer, but I have taken two aerodynamics courses in college.