LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Additionally, I believe that 'nose first' may put unneeded pressure on the nose which may lead to stress cracks or weak spots; especially when strapping up boards with more nose rocker.
    You do know this works in an opposite way when mounting tail first. Either way, you are putting stress on a specific portion of the board. You are either pushing down or pulling up. I am sure lift is just as bad for causing cracks.

None of it is good for the board, that said, fins 1st to avoid the worst case scenario stated above

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    None of it is good for the board, that said, fins 1st to avoid the worst case scenario stated above
    But only in flat rack mounting....

Personally, I am glad most of my boards fit in the car. I usually don't have to think about it.

If for any reason, it's fins first on the rack because that's how it's ALWAYS been done. It's a tradition, screw the scientific benefits or lack thereof in either fins first or nose first.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    But only in flat rack mounting....

Personally, I am glad most of my boards fit in the car. I usually don't have to think about it.
    Yeah, I toss the shorty in back of the tahoe, fits easily, the LB / SUP goes up top, unless we have lots of stuff in the back, then sometimes i'll stack em all but I try to avoid that

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    If for any reason, it's fins first on the rack because that's how it's ALWAYS been done. It's a tradition, screw the scientific benefits or lack thereof in either fins first or nose first.
    Meh, there is no tradition left in surfing. We all use short fiberglass or epoxy boards at least part of the time. If you wanted to be traditional, buy a 10' wooden log, stuff it in your woody wagon, and go surf Roy Stuart style.

It's a personal prejudice that's been ingrained in me since I was a young child.... I just can't help think "not experienced," "not a real surfer," "poser," "they shoulda gone the distance and put their fins in backwards as well" when I see a board nose first on a car. It's like a Pavlovian response for me, not meaning to be offensive or anything!

How about gas mileage and aerodynamics? If you takeoff in the water fin first the board spins around 180 degrees. Does this translate into excessive wind resistance when the board is on top of the car fin in front? Does this cause more torque to vibrate through the board during high speed travel, causing micro cell collapse in the foam and glass? I think a board bag would keep board damage to a minimum, but create more drag and less fuel efficiency. I have an SUV so I only strap my longboard on top when I have a passenger, otherwise it says inside, out of the sun. It is dark green and gets hotter than hell in the Florida sunshine. The boardbag wont zip anymore so that is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    How about gas mileage and aerodynamics? If you takeoff in the water fin first the board spins around 180 degrees. Does this translate into excessive wind resistance when the board is on top of the car fin in front? Does this cause more torque to vibrate through the board during high speed travel, causing micro cell collapse in the foam and glass? I think a board bag would keep board damage to a minimum, but create more drag and less fuel efficiency. I have an SUV so I only strap my longboard on top when I have a passenger, otherwise it says inside, out of the sun. It is dark green and gets hotter than hell in the Florida sunshine. The boardbag wont zip anymore so that is not an option.
    Generally, the lifting effect will cause more drag and worse fuel economy.

This is what I use: http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...FWxo7Aodo3EAuQ

Works great, and is safe/aerodynamically better mounting certain boards nose first (like my fun shape or Kechele 6'4" Grinder).

Unlike this rack setup:
    Which has a chance of allowing the board to slip out. In that case, the fuel economy hit and chance of damage is less of an issue than losing your whole board.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Sep 24, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    Thank you dlrouen for this clarification. I was born ass first, and apparently that has translated into all kinds of odd behavior over the years, including putting my boards on the roof nose first. I will correct this aberrant behavior in the future, to avoid stress cracks and the calamity of having my board shoot off the roof and fly through the windshield of some poor fella. Hope you got a few nugs lately -sea and land nugs :-)
    We could all be totally wrong, so do whatever makes you sleep at night. A few years ago, I was driving over the CB bridge and I witnessed some dude's board fly right off his roof. He was riding nose first, so lesson learned. Sorry, nose first renegades, I'll always ride fins first. I haven't used racks in years, so maybe things have changed during that time. I walk to my break now. And yes, I've been catching a few nugs here and there. I hope you're getting your fair share too! Make sure to eat your fruit! I'm going to the grocery store today to pick up some grapefruit. Health is wealth!

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    You do know this works in an opposite way when mounting tail first. Either way, you are putting stress on a specific portion of the board. You are either pushing down or pulling up. I am sure lift is just as bad for causing cracks.
    Are you sure you're not a rack engineer too? I am not an engineer of anything and I was terrible in all the scientific/mathematical courses, but here's my take: take a shortboard for example. When loaded nose first, the nose literally curves around the roof of the car towards the hood. When you're driving down the road, you presumably get two kinds of wind pressure. The first is the wind that hits your hood/windshield and rolls off. As the wind flows up the windshield, the wind will immediately catch your nose, which may cause the unneeded pressure that I was referring to. The second is the direct head-on wind, which would hit the underside of your nose and roll of; almost like a second windshield. If the tail was first, the wind would flow between the board and the roof with little to no obstruction.

"Always drive with your fins first." - Mark Twain