LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States

Size really doesn't matter -or- How Carolina Beach punks WB everytime

Most of the threads on SI are overly concerned with swell size...but
    Cmon, let's be realistic, unless all you care about is dropping in on a wave only to bottom turn into white water close-outs, Size really doesn't matter. I'll take any ride able and NOT CLOSING OUT wave anyday! And for the record CB ( I've caught such long fun rides these last few days with NOBODY OUT!) has been so much more consistent than WB this year it's kind of a shame. peace yall!

Cant we all just get along and agree that the waves are generally crap year round here and just be glad we don't surf at Oak Island. Except at the south end of WB! where it is the greatest spot on earth, everyone should go there, I heard they give UNCW students free trucker hats just for surfing there!
    Last edited by Blackfish; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Images
    It's most definitely not a shame when you live in CB.

Although, its a well known fact that the local CB surfers will pee all over your car if you come from WB. That's a shame. No one likes a pee car.

Yes please everybody go to the south end of WB! The waves are always 2ft bigger there and everybody is really nice, no kooks at all!

Quote Originally Posted by banman View Post
    Yes please everybody go to the south end of WB! The waves are always 2ft bigger there and everybody is really nice, no kooks at all!
    ha! did you quote that from the UNCW guide to incoming Freshmen?? good one! Seems to be conventional wisdom by the looks of the lineup by Oceanic!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    Cant we all just get along and agree that the waves are generally crap year round here and just be glad we don't surf at Oak Island. Except at the south end of WB! where it is the greatest spot on earth, everyone should go there, I heard they give UNCW students free trucker hats just for surfing there!
    Sorry your wave count is down bro! Mine's way up! gotta get away from those SURFZONES! Anarchy in the USA!! Go CB!

Images
    yesterday morning at SS in Cb was a blast - way better than i expected. waist + clean ones with a chest-high set every now and then, plenty of waves for everyone. i heart CB

Images
    Waves have been pretty fun all week here but I agree, definitely better at the south end so everybody should stay on that side of crystal.

This thread made my day. I really mean that. Thanks, babygrand.

Don't drink the water.

Images
    CB, according to Surfline:

CB is the Rodanthe of the Cape Fear area, more of a crusty fishing village than a resort town. And although the water is significantly dirtier (the Cape Fear River empties a lot of its nastiness right north of here through the Inlet), the waves are generally hollower and more powerful than those produced by the same swells in Wrightsville. Thus, Carolina Beach serves as the backup chute for surfers frustrated with the C Street crowds or the piddly shorebreak at the South End. For others, it's just a better wave, and worth looking at over and over again, particularly during hurricane swells. Either way, crowds can get thick during good swells at the Sunskipper, so be mellow. Locals have been known to start fights, bash cars and even pull knives. Fortunately, you can find just as good a wave down the beach without the pack, especially if you have four-wheel drive. Just scoot north and get a little privacy, as well as some of the better waves.
    sounds about right, no?
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...t_5247/travel/