LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It all depends on swell direction and wind. The Frying Pan Shoals shadow CB if the swell is more dominantly out of the S and SE--it will invariably be smaller and less powerful in CB than WB in this case.

The thing that Surfline doesn't mention is that neither WB or CB have the best swell window in Onslow Bay.

I think if folks really wanted to protect cb from hordes of UNC-W students, and keep it punking wb everytime, they should stop talking about how good it gets on internet forums. Also, that new cam, wtf?

Surf City punks em both!!!

Quote Originally Posted by babybabygrand View Post
    Sorry your wave count is down bro! Mine's way up! gotta get away from those SURFZONES! Anarchy in the USA!! Go CB!
    Eh, it my own fault....I do love a solid swell at the pipe!

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by NICAfiend View Post
    Surf City punks em both!!!
    amen to that and S.Topsail!!
    Last edited by babybabygrand; Sep 22, 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by srfman11 View Post
    I think if folks really wanted to protect cb from hordes of UNC-W students, and keep it punking wb everytime, they should stop talking about how good it gets on internet forums. Also, that new cam, wtf?
    true, but I was hoping to hi-lite the notion that it takes a non-pack type mentality to even FIND the spots at CB...WB is all hype and hype will always keep the herds a-coming in...das all I was trying to say. Don't worry the "stigma" of CB being a dirty beach with dirtier water and rowdy redneck locals will always keep the kooks away!(and for this I do pray!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    It all depends on swell direction and wind. The Frying Pan Shoals shadow CB if the swell is more dominantly out of the S and SE--it will invariably be smaller and less powerful in CB than WB in this case.

The thing that Surfline doesn't mention is that neither WB or CB have the best swell window in Onslow Bay.
    now I"m curious, whadya think Masonboro is the best oriented island/break in Onslow Bay? I haven't a clue. Figure Eight?

Quote Originally Posted by babybabygrand View Post
    now I"m curious, whadya think Masonboro is the best oriented island/break in Onslow Bay? I haven't a clue. Figure Eight?
    I was talking about Topsail, I guess Lea/Hutaff Island falls in that same category. Mase isn't the best oriented, it just benefits from the shoals off the Southern end of Masonboro Inlet--they are what create the larger peaks and change the angle just enough to create long lines. Of course the jetty is a great wind block for N winds as well. However, you may notice that only the North 1/4 of Mase has a good break--not so much for the rest of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I was talking about Topsail, I guess Lea/Hutaff Island falls in that same category. Mase isn't the best oriented, it just benefits from the shoals off the Southern end of Masonboro Inlet--they are what create the larger peaks and change the angle just enough to create long lines. Of course the jetty is a great wind block for N winds as well. However, you may notice that only the North 1/4 of Mase has a good break--not so much for the rest of the island.
    Yeah I've always noticed that about mase too. Plus Topsail seems to break much better on high tide than WB or CB. I head right to the border of Surf City and Topsail at the white watch tower and the octagon shaped house since me and my bro love the line in Anchorman when Brian Fantana tells those chicks I know what your thinking and yeah I named my pen!s, it's called the octagon!

CB is the Rodanthe of the Cape Fear area, more of a crusty fishing village than a resort town. And although the water is significantly dirtier (the Cape Fear River empties a lot of its nastiness right north of here through the Inlet), the waves are generally hollower and more powerful than those produced by the same swells in Wrightsville. Thus, Carolina Beach serves as the backup chute for surfers frustrated with the C Street crowds or the piddly shorebreak at the South End. For others, it's just a better wave, and worth looking at over and over again, particularly during hurricane swells. Either way, crowds can get thick during good swells at the Sunskipper, so be mellow. Locals have been known to start fights, bash cars and even pull knives. Fortunately, you can find just as good a wave down the beach without the pack, especially if you have four-wheel drive. Just scoot north and get a little privacy, as well as some of the better waves.

I have yet to bash a car but it is a well known fact that all Sunskipper surfers surf with knives. We even have special pockets sewn in our wetsuits for easy access. And we like dirty water...