LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Bear with me, gang. I know this is a surf forum, but give me a pass on this...

surf05: Get on each school's .edu website, review their academic programs (narrowed down to the majors in which you have interest) and compare them to other schools in the Cal State system. Also, the various schools have different resources, facilities, partnerships with other organizations or companies that support (through involvement, research grants and other funding) specific academic and research programs. For example, did the school recently complete a new oceanographic building, or does it operate its own research vessel (some of them do)? These are indications of the importance a school places on a program.
    There is online and hard copy (books and magazines) guidance providing reviews and ratings of schools and their more prominent academic programs. School departmental newsletters (available online) also provide an indication of what programs a school is geared toward. Call the department and talk with the folks there - including students. Do they have internships in your planned major?
    Also, do you prefer large or small schools (class size can be an important consideration), city or rural? What are the living costs in each of the areas you're considering? Bear in mind that California out of state tuition is not cheap. Private schools (such as Pepperdine) are expensive, but they typically don't have higher tuition rates for out of state students. Starting at a community college in the area you prefer may be an initial alternative.
    I have two kids in college. One with a Meteorology degree from VA Tech who is now working on her Masters at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. The other is in his second year at Old Dominion University.
    You have quite an adventure and opportunity ahead of you. Enjoy it, make the most of it, and best of luck.
    thanks for the advice. i'm starting to question the point of my guidance counselor because i feel like it should have been him telling me all this stuff

Images

welcome to the left coast

4x is right. do your homework. each school has a flavor. as for CSU being crap, there is a reason besides location that most UC and Cal State systems are impacted. Your grades (and money) will matter. Private schools (and to a lesser extent, the states) are more likely to offer partial or full rides for the eligible (my daughter has most of her expenses paid at UCSC b/c of her grades and her community service experience).... check it out. SanFranciso and San Diego are expensive places to live, SF being the worst. Also, once you get above Point Hueneme, the water will always be in the 60s or lower, if that matters. Santa Cruz and San Diego are both a bit crowded and territorial. However, when you are living up there you can make contacts to facilitate that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by spongedude View Post
    4x is right. do your homework. each school has a flavor. as for CSU being crap, there is a reason besides location that most UC and Cal State systems are impacted. Your grades (and money) will matter. Private schools (and to a lesser extent, the states) are more likely to offer partial or full rides for the eligible (my daughter has most of her expenses paid at UCSC b/c of her grades and her community service experience).... check it out. SanFranciso and San Diego are expensive places to live, SF being the worst. Also, once you get above Point Hueneme, the water will always be in the 60s or lower, if that matters. Santa Cruz and San Diego are both a bit crowded and territorial. However, when you are living up there you can make contacts to facilitate that aspect.
    Have you ever been up north in like humboldt county? I feel like there's SO many spots and pretty consistent with swell, so is there a reason why it seems like not too many people surf there? I mean I understand there are surfers there but it doesn't seem nearly as crowded as areas farther down south... Sharks perhaps or currents??

Quote Originally Posted by TheWocal View Post
    Have you ever been up north in like humboldt county? I feel like there's SO many spots and pretty consistent with swell, so is there a reason why it seems like not too many people surf there? I mean I understand there are surfers there but it doesn't seem nearly as crowded as areas farther down south... Sharks perhaps or currents??
    i watched a few youtube videos of humboldt county and all of the breaks looked weird, like kind of weak/fat or sloppy. but those were just a few crappy videos so i wouldn't base anything off of that. i am curious though

bump--------------

Images

location, location, location

Quote Originally Posted by TheWocal View Post
    my daughter lives in santa cruz. i have friends in arroyo grande (pismo) and up in mendo (half moon bay, albion etc). there are more specific spots up north due to a more jagged coastline and rocks and accessiblity. south of long beach the coastline is essentially straight, sandy beaches and the surf is constant but relatively small, almost to the border (with some exceptions once you hit san diego county). up north the coast line is much more jagged (and cliffy) and you get bays and points and it is more picky. some spots are like north shore..it's either huge or nothing (mavericks). sharks are less a deal than finding that one spot where everyone gets in a line and takes off on that one wave, like steamer lane in SC. also, water is colder (oneill started in santa cruz) and currents are powerful up there. look around. you'll find something. you just may have to negotiate a bit.
    Last edited by spongedude; Sep 28, 2013 at 07:54 PM.