LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    Swellders, love it. Yankee, you're spot-on regarding Europe's lack of beer diversity. This is true throughout Europe except for Germany and Belgium. They do pretty well...a huge number of styles originated in those two countries, and most towns still have their own brewery just like the good ole days. Haven't been, but heard it's a fun trip.

That's great that you have a place to setup shop already. My house is zoned res / commercial so I can brew & distribute on a small scale right from home. My plan is to start while keeping my day job. Build the brand first. It could be tricky, but it's definitely the lowest risk. Would you be the brewer?
    MadAtom, I would most definitely not be the brewer. Taster, ok, I'm down with that. Nah, I have a team of people, including 'the brewer' who has some experience creating some pretty tasty libations, and a very successful restaurant guy for the brewpub aspects, as well as a talented architect & a slew of trades guys who are really good at their respective stuff.

What could possibly go wrong...? lol

I like your idea of phasing your plan in. Lower the risk while pursuing your passion; then, the big day comes when you have to decide do you chuck it & go for the sudsy future...?
    Life should be risky, IMHO, and too often it's mundane; maybe that's one reason we all love surfing.
    Last edited by yankee; Sep 29, 2013 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    we primarily fabricate turbo manifolds, intercoolers and occasional chassis work. its sort of like being a shaper, with steel... some pics if youre interested:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...22908278_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...25982107_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2450057&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Damnnnnnn that is some clean work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    Swellders, love it. Yankee, you're spot-on regarding Europe's lack of beer diversity. This is true throughout Europe except for Germany and Belgium. They do pretty well...a huge number of styles originated in those two countries, and most towns still have their own brewery just like the good ole days. Haven't been, but heard it's a fun trip.

That's great that you have a place to setup shop already. My house is zoned res / commercial so I can brew & distribute on a small scale right from home. My plan is to start while keeping my day job. Build the brand first. It could be tricky, but it's definitely the lowest risk. Would you be the brewer?
    Germany isn't that great either. Only certain cities like Munich and Bamberg are full of great beer options. Most cities have breweries that have been bought out or merged and mass brew for the general population. America likes diversity, and that allows the craft beer industry to be creative.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Come on over...AI's been massively consistent all year long... AI = AT (all time)
    I just might have to one of these days.the population density is getting to me up here.

Images
    Originally Posted by yankee
    Come on over...AI's been massively consistent all year long... AI = AT (all time)
    I live 5 minutes from and am a fixture on this island and I can tell you it has not been all time in a long time.

Ya I'm a ski shop manager. Riding white waves for 8 months. Riding blue ones in the other 4 months when I can. Just living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I live 5 minutes from and am a fixture on this island and I can tell you it has not been all time in a long time.
    Well excuuuuse me, Senator.

We likely have different standards for 'all-time,' Zip. To me, all-time is just a great day in rideable fun waves, with a friend or two, where one can work on one's surf game & where one may surf without tourons in the shore pound as well as no crowds in the lineup. I don't need (although it's nice when it happens) 8' mackin' barrels, or whatever all-time is to someone else. Being from the east coast, my standards for all-time are having fun. I'm a pretty simple soul & that's how I surf: simply.

Having said that....AI generally sucks & no one should surf there.

Quote Originally Posted by maddoggin View Post
    Database engineering and architecture for a major ecommerce/retailer.
    work from home mostly with flexible hours.
    travel over to the left coast often, mostly bay area, bring my wetsuit and hit up ocean beach to santa cruz.
    You should get a license plate for your car that says 'SQLSRFR'. Who do you think's taller Rick Morelan or Mark Richards? Did you know that Gail Shaw is really a man? Think he surfs Durban?

Phil Factor is my other troll handle.

This was a great thread, its good to see what you all do!
    I used to wear a tie and go into a building, it sucked, now I work online at home, its excellent, I dont even put a shirt on
    in between tie and trunks I worked low paying jobs to get through the tough times
    I also moved from EC to surf more but I still have EC hours so I am working 4am to noon local time, gives me all afternoon to surf (in trunks) but I eat at the early bird special and go to bed at sunset, no more partying for me
    I am blessed/lucky or something, but I worked hard to be where I am at. put in lots of dues

34th street, if you cant find gainful employment, can I recommend something risky? get a credit card (or save a lot) and travel, be cheap about it, find a pilot friend, get some buddy passes, go anywhere, live like a wild rapscallion...for a time

The biggest question: Is it better to regret something you DID do or something you DIDNT do?

and brewpub people: your dream sounds rad, I am, however, skeptical of the economy. On October 17th the debt ceiling issue comes up again and that combined with the shutdown could be a messy situation for the economy, the treasury department said today that there could be a crisis that 'lasts a generation'
    If you can get creative financing, go for it! but a straight up business loan might not be a great idea?
    Blessing and fortune upon you and your endeavors!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    This was a great thread, its good to see what you all do!
    I used to wear a tie and go into a building, it sucked, now I work online at home, its excellent, I dont even put a shirt on
    in between tie and trunks I worked low paying jobs to get through the tough times
    I also moved from EC to surf more but I still have EC hours so I am working 4am to noon local time, gives me all afternoon to surf (in trunks) but I eat at the early bird special and go to bed at sunset, no more partying for me
    I am blessed/lucky or something, but I worked hard to be where I am at. put in lots of dues
    sounds like my situation, hit me up if you make it over to the Big Rock...