LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2013 New England Wetsuit Recommendations

I know there are 6 zillion wetsuit threads already but BLEEP YOU I AM STARTING ANOTHER ONE.

I'm a bodyboarder and swimmer in Massaflatness, right now I just have a 3mm suit that is perfect for this time of year but I want to catch some waves this winter so I am looking to expand my wetsuit collection a little.

Some questions:

* Should my next suit be a 6/5/4 or is that going to be too "warm" to go straight from a 3mm? I.e. do I need anything in between (like a 5/4 or a 4/3 even)?

* Should I go for integrated hood or are separate hoods okay? I have a huge head so I am a little worried that any "standard" hood size built into a suit is gonna be too small for my head, but I haven't tried any of them on yet.

* Is 6/5/4 warm enough for Massachusetts/Rhode Island/New Hampshire in February?

* Is there a local shop somewhere around that you guys would recommend? I go to Island Surf sometimes because I pass it on the way to Second Beach but the selection doesn't seem to be the best there...

A 4/3 with separate hood usually gets me through the middle of December in NH. After that it's 6/5/4 through early April and then back to the 4/3. A 6/5/4 will definitely be excessive from now through the beginning of November.

Come on up to Pioneers Board Shop in Hampton, NH. I'll show you the goods.
    Last edited by JReid; Sep 27, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Oops

Quote Originally Posted by JReid View Post
    A 4/3 with separate hood usually gets me through the middle of December in NH. After that it's 6/5/4 through early April and then back to the 4/3. A 6/5/4 will definitely be excessive from now through the beginning of November.

Come on up to Pioneers Board Shop in Hampton, NH. I'll show you the goods.
    I use a 7 mil dive suit, which I got for 100 bucks when it was like originally 400. I use that and a 3-2 separate hood with 3 mil boots and gloves and that usually gets me through the winter. You don't need a 7 mil at all. Out on mv its really chilly. A 6/5/4 would be toasty and perfect for Jan. - March

I get through the winters with a 4/3 + hood till December or so, 5/4/3 for the dead of winter until I get back into the 4/3 in the spring. I used to wear a 6/5/4 but didn't like the extra rubber, so I shelled out a little more for a higher quality and warmer 5/4/3, worn it in February from RI to as far north as Nova Scotia without issue

^^^ this is the right idea. A good 4/3 with detachable hood will get you through fall. For winter a good hooded 5/4 or 5.5/4.5 is all you need. Better quality wetsuits can be thinner and still provide adequate warmth. Check the used market...you should be able to score a used winter suit for ~$200. I just snagged a nice used RipCurl 5.5/4.5 ebomb from the dude at the surf shop for $150.

Images
    Can't go wrong with something like this:

Best Bet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Can't go wrong with something like this:

Best Bet.jpg
    What the Jacques Cousteau is that?!?! Nice find Ss

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    What the Jacques Cousteau is that?!?! Nice find Ss
    That is MV's 7mil dive suit

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Atom View Post
    ^^^ this is the right idea. A good 4/3 with detachable hood will get you through fall.
    I woke up this morning with a bad hangover and my hood was missing again. This happens all the time. It's detachable.

I surf RI all winter and have never gone heavier than 5/4. I have a hooded flashbomb, but it flushed more through the hood than I liked. I have an Isurus iEvade now . . . lighter, stretchy and very warm. My Rip Curl could be for sale cheap if you want it.