LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Im better now

Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Is there a phantom swell rolling in Mon or Tues that is off my radar? Went out again today and it was fun, but its looking like minimal leftovers tomorrow and back to lake status monday.
    Friday was pretty messy here. Lots of close outs, though there was some size to it. Yesterday was clean and waist high, but I thought the waves were too gentle. It was dying off by 3, and I am guessing today will be fairly weak.

Friday here was choppy, windblown, and disorganized. Went out at lunchtime, had no luck, but got a good workout. Pretty much windy and choppy this entire weekend. Water temps cooling off. Never quite got as warm as last summer. Mostly in the low 70s now.

I've had some funky tasting as well as tasteless scallops - particularly at those Chinese buffet joints. Figured they were "skate scallops". Diving off the west coast we would get the large rock scallops. Now they were good.

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Friday here was choppy, windblown, and disorganized. Went out at lunchtime, had no luck, but got a good workout. Pretty much windy and choppy this entire weekend. Water temps cooling off. Never quite got as warm as last summer. Mostly in the low 70s now.

I've had some funky tasting as well as tasteless scallops - particularly at those Chinese buffet joints. Figured they were "skate scallops". Diving off the west coast we would get the large rock scallops. Now they were good.
    If skate wings actually resemble the scallop in flavor, I may need to start picking some up. They are dirt cheap to buy at the docks. I never knew how to prepare them, nor did they look appetizing.

Images
    Pretty sure skate is used for imitation crab meat too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Pretty sure skate is used for imitation crab meat too.
    i think its pollock

Is there a phantom swell rolling in Mon or Tues that is off my radar? Went out again today and it was fun, but its looking like minimal leftovers tomorrow and back to lake status monday.
    Low pressure system spinning up the coast.

Sorry about that, I wasn't paying attention to your locale. OBX and points north are going to have some waves the next couple of days.

The fibers in skate wing "scallops" goes across... in scallops they go up and down. I don't don't like them. I'd rather eat dogfish or sea robin.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    The fibers in skate wing "scallops" goes across... in scallops they go up and down. I don't don't like them. I'd rather eat dogfish or sea robin.
    Usually if I'm frying up skate, there is dog fish and sea robin in there too. I make po boys with them.
    Last edited by Peajay4060; Sep 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Down here in the dirty souff the "scallops" are made from sour tasting rays punched out with a cookie cutter. The best scallops I ever had were north of Falmouth. On the north side of the bridge heading north back into the Cape. Magic.

The big swell turned out to be waist to stomach high lines with lots of mullet, a few tarpon, and an occasional shark. Fall is upon us.l