LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    also, if airfare prices matters to you, November would typically be a cheap month to fly to CR as opposed to their high season (Dec-April).

I am going to CR in November as well, Mal Pais.....cant wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    I am going to CR in November as well, Mal Pais.....cant wait.
    good choice. I always went to Jaco first(nearest break to SJO) then to Mal Pais. Stopping off at Boca Barranca on the way to the ferry.

If you guys all go up to Guanacaste, did you know that you can fly into Liberia? Its about the same cost and is 30 minutes from Tamarindo. It saves a lot of driving and hassle of San Jose. You land, they throw your crap out on the runway and you leave. Only thing about Liberia is apparently they don't have runway lights so there are no night flights. Not really a big deal. Spent about a month doing the guy thing down there and then our wives flew down to meet us for the last couple weeks. We were staying with a friend up north so the girls flew into Liberia and it was sweet! Saved us about 6 hours of driving time.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    good choice. I always went to Jaco first(nearest break to SJO) then to Mal Pais. Stopping off at Boca Barranca on the way to the ferry.
    Chich, it sounds like you have a lot of experience in Jaco. I'm going October 12th for 7 days and another 3 in San Jose. Ayudame hombre! He hecho una reservacion en un hostal se llama Las Camas Hostel Mini al lado de Sol Dorado en Jaco Beach. What are your favorite breaks? Favorite bars? Any quick advice would great!

Jaco sucks

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsurf421 View Post
    Jaco sucks
    never been there, so don't know about the waves, but I do know I don't like black sand beaches...they just look kinda gross

Jaco is kinda gross, underage prostitutes abound and the small time dealers work with the cops to set u up for weed possession
    mal pais is pretty and has kinda decent surf, but thievery is like the national sport or something

Id skip CR and always go to panama or nicaragua, if I had the choice, Nica in summer, bocas del torro in panama in winter

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    Chich, it sounds like you have a lot of experience in Jaco. I'm going October 12th for 7 days and another 3 in San Jose. Ayudame hombre! He hecho una reservacion en un hostal se llama Las Camas Hostel Mini al lado de Sol Dorado en Jaco Beach. What are your favorite breaks? Favorite bars? Any quick advice would great!
    Playa Hermosa is as close to Jaco I care to stay. It's got tons of breaks and jungle nearby. there's a guy that posted on a CR thread with connections in Esterios Oeste. I'd try there. sweet 3-4 peak wave with a small boat channel nearby.
    there's a break north of there called Punta Mala. I nice rustic hotel sat right in front of a natural rock jetty that went way the fuggout. sweet left hander.
    then there's Dominical. Used to be a rock bottom break with a river mouth and long rides. the last time I was there was in 01, and all the rocks were gone. they were pulling rocks out of the river to shore up the new Pan Am hywy. Just a giant dumping wave. Like VB but bigger.
    we found a weird break north of that with a square tube. we called this place Mona's cove. She was driving when we saw 2 ruts going off the road and made to go for her first off road excursion

8043161589_36663c3e3e_b.jpg

but there was on ominous feel about the place.

8043161677_5def44c7cd_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    ...mal pais is pretty and has kinda decent surf, but thievery is like the national sport or something...
    same deal with tamarindo - junkies will snatch a purse in broad daylight, if they have to