LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we screwed?

Images
    So that spot in ocean city that you surf only has like 5 guys out at a time?!?

Yeah Sandy did one good thing and that was create good breaks in northern jersey. And now the good ol' army corps came to the rescue and destroyed that. I'm excited to see how the guys from Illinois destroy our beaches.... Have any of them even seen the ocean before?

I hate the long walk out to the water
    Last edited by vonda007; Oct 6, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingonh2o View Post
    I just heard that Belmar, nj was the only spot that is not going to be filled by the sand. They say it's important to keep the surf spot open and surfable!

Hey PBJ! Can I surf your spot? I will bring along my friend njshreddermachinee when it's firing - he can teach us how to do a cutback on a 23ft wave. You can surf my spot up here anytime- you know the one in belmar with all the slicked back hair Italians? Maybe I will make a trip down to your spot in ocean city soon
    You heard incorrectly... sand is coming, for everywhere. from Sandy Hook to Barnegat Inlet.

So, this thread worries me then I look for that one post that seems to explain what is actually going on in a more detailed way, but that post is not here. I understand there putting sand into the water, everywhere, so where is the sand coming from? Why are they doing this rather than trying something else, haven't they done this pre-Sandy? And last but certainly not least how/why will it ruin our surf breaks, sounds like to me you'll just have to re adjust your paddle out with the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by hdebarrelkilla View Post
    So, this thread worries me then I look for that one post that seems to explain what is actually going on in a more detailed way, but that post is not here. I understand there putting sand into the water, everywhere, so where is the sand coming from? Why are they doing this rather than trying something else, haven't they done this pre-Sandy? And last but certainly not least how/why will it ruin our surf breaks, sounds like to me you'll just have to re adjust your paddle out with the tide.
    All I know is that several years back I went to an AB3 in Harvey Cedars at a break that was between 2 jetties which was pretty fun. I went back down there a few years later only to be confused at where I was. Jetties - gone, waves - gone, beach - enormus. I was just hoping to here that they would maybe do things differently here, I am just not so sure and worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Feesh View Post
    All I know is that several years back I went to an AB3 in Harvey Cedars at a break that was between 2 jetties which was pretty fun. I went back down there a few years later only to be confused at where I was. Jetties - gone, waves - gone, beach - enormus. I was just hoping to here that they would maybe do things differently here, I am just not so sure and worried.
    cedars had some of the meatier waves that can be found on LBI. its been ruined for a while now though and they recently re-ruined it this summer. its got some gnarly racing rights that break right on the sand now. they're making their way south from there it looks like.

really??!!!a little late for protesting. I thought we already went over this 4 months ago,nobody cared,beach replenishment is already completed in sea bright to Monmouth beach,that was early july.point is we are already screwd.but hey theres waves tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by hdebarrelkilla View Post
    They take sand from out in the water and pump it onto the beach, making the beach extend further out into the water. So there will be more dry beach out further than before.

What happens is this sand not only messes with the natural order of the layout under water near the shore, but actually fills in the sand bars. So for a very long time afterwards, all those nice sandbars that have taken years to build up and form are now going to be gone. No bars=waves breaking right onto the dry sand.

the local and federal governments simple don't care about our sand bars. the majority of tourism is not people looking to surf. they've always done replenishment this way and it's not the most effective way but there really isn't a cheaper solution that still allows rich people to live on the immediate coast. one of the only times i can think of where surfers were able to protect a break is trestles, and that wave is world class. it definitely ruins the surf break but they do come back as mother nature intended. it just takes a while.