LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Couldn't you lay a bit further back to not have to arch your back (to keep the nose out of the water) shouldn't take much.?

Try glute activation exercises.

maybe ya take more beatings dropping in late on the little board

When you ride a shorter board in order to keep the nose out the water you really must pick up your chest and head. Whenever you do this it puts an enormous strain on your lower back. (and your neck) Especially if you aren't used to being in that position and using those muscles. The actual back pain comes from your muscles spasming to keep your discs in place. When your discs start to slip or there is risk of something happening your muscles automatically spasm to keep everything in place. Once you are acclimated to that particular exercise and your muscles have strengthened it won't happen anymore.

A lot of people that have back pain is usually because they are out of shape and suddenly do something strenuous or make a movement to cause their discs to slip or jog. People that sit all day are more apt to have back pain.

In your case, you are in shape just not for that particular movement. Give yourself a little rest from the short board and then do it again. Build up to it a little slower and you won't have the problem anymore. Whatever you do, don't over do it.... that'll just make it worse.

The Percs and Tabs and codones etc.... are more fun, however ibuprofen will be more effective in reducing swelling and damage.

Stay away from that other crap man... that stuff can be pure evil!

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    The Percs and Tabs and codones etc.... are more fun, however ibuprofen will be more effective in reducing swelling and damage.

Stay away from that other crap man... that stuff can be pure evil!
    Evil, you say? I bet you call it the devil's grass, huh? And probably think opiate-based pharmaceuticals are safer for treating pain too, huh? Pshhhh

Images
    sometimes if your groveling, riding small waves with not a lot of power behind them you have to really strain and push a lot harder to catch them. That extra strain could be the cause of you pain, I find it way easier to ride a 4' wave than a 2' wave on the same board because of that.

"Evil, you say? I bet you call it the devil's grass, huh? And probably think opiate-based pharmaceuticals are safer for treating pain too, huh? Pshhhh"

Ill take "devils grass" any day over pills! Weed isn't addictive! Synthetic heroin is! Down here in Florida pills are a major problem! I'm not saying I'm goody two shoes or that I haven't partaken, I'm just warning those who think its no big deal to pop pills!

Do a few "blues" (oxy's) and call me the next day when you feel like you have the worst flu ever, can't get off the toilet, can't stop your nose from running and your skin crawling! Don't worry though those symptoms paired with hot and cold sweats only last a week or so and then 3 months after that you should be back to somewhat normal. The feeling of having absolutely no energy and being physically exhausted lasts a little longer than 3months and so do the suicidal thoughts. Course you could avoid all these symptoms if you keep taking them!

Trust me when I say that pills are very bad news!

Its an expensive habit too once you are hooked! At $30 a pill you will also be in financial ruins!

I know of people that have been so addicted that it took a medically induced coma to safely detox from them!

I am 33 and I have had historic back problems, including herniated disks, freak spasms, a sacrilized L5, and crazy pinched nerves causing pain in undesirable places. I am currently working through lower back pain centered on my spine, and a bizarro pain on my outer left hip (I'm goofy so thats my back foot). I actually get most of my pain from popping up then arching my back. Any time my wave count is good, I need an ibuprofen sandwich usually mid session.

I didnt have back pain most of the summer because I was logging (rough summer here in New England). As things "picked up", I started riding a small wave shortboard and my back got a bit worse. A lot more arching but also a lot more movement in general. (read: a lot more gymnastic falls)

I have turned into a volume whore, and I am okay with it! I just had McDermott Shapes make me a custom beast groveler at 5'7.5", 3.5" thick, with VOLUME. No serious arch required, and I weight 170lbs (5'6"). The thing is unsinkable. Maiden voyage was in closeout chop so no legit ride report as of yet, but it picks up early in powerless crumblers. It will be nice to bring this beast out when everyone else is logging in 1' mush.

aggro1.jpgaggro2.jpg

I thought bending you back in extension was a good thing in that it relives pressure inside the discs of the lower back, where high compression loads during flexion are the primary cause of disc herniation. So is the main source of pain during extension muscle related rather than disc or nerve related?