LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    One thought I had was that maybe with the lack of significant swell for so long that new sand wasn't being pulled off the beach to replenish the sandbars.
    I agree with this^^^

OCMD was last pumped in 2010 and I think its generally been breaking pretty good since then except for the middle to end of every summer when lack of swell means no sand gets pulled off the beach to replenish the sand bars.

Ordinances still at AI

I was there that morning of the shut down, Finished my session at low tide. Yes it is terrible that the park is closed and truly shows how bad the government is......... BUT it gets even worse... After world war II ammo was discovered there, one would think that they would try to clean it up. BUT NO IT IS STILL THERE!!!! and the worst part is even when I did the responsible thing and called 911 to report what I consider a safety hazard. Only a park ranger showed up, and never went to the beach to locate where I found the ammo, (mortar rounds). So be angry at the government for shutting down, sure.... But when somebody finds explosives I would expect more a concern for public safety, government shut down or not.... So all that being said, If you hear of a do good surfer who blows up trying to clean the beach, It was probably me doing what the government doesn't seem to care about. that's my rant, next time your at A.I. just be safe, there`s bombs out there , and no Im not talking about the bigger sets this time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ocstu View Post
    I was there that morning of the shut down, Finished my session at low tide. Yes it is terrible that the park is closed and truly shows how bad the government is......... BUT it gets even worse... After world war II ammo was discovered there, one would think that they would try to clean it up. BUT NO IT IS STILL THERE!!!! and the worst part is even when I did the responsible thing and called 911 to report what I consider a safety hazard. Only a park ranger showed up, and never went to the beach to locate where I found the ammo, (mortar rounds). So be angry at the government for shutting down, sure.... But when somebody finds explosives I would expect more a concern for public safety, government shut down or not.... So all that being said, If you hear of a do good surfer who blows up trying to clean the beach, It was probably me doing what the government doesn't seem to care about. that's my rant, next time your at A.I. just be safe, there`s bombs out there , and no Im not talking about the bigger sets this time.
    I'm pretty sure its not WW II ammo (at least i've never heard that explanation before), its unexploded ordinance from mostly the 1950's and 1960's when the army and national guard used the entire coast of Delaware and Maryland (outside of the towns) as a target shooting range against radio controlled aircraft. I can remember as a kid seeing the little (like 5 foot long) planes flying along the coast just offshore, while they took shots at them. There are actually a lot more of these things up in Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware, and yeah with decades of salt corrosion, they arent very worried about them up there either.
    Last edited by mitchell; Oct 3, 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Images

Storm the Beaches of Assateague

Is anyone else ready to invade the National Side to open it up? I want to go at low tide today and sneak in.

I am wondering how they deal with it when I complain after they open it and I ask for a refund for a new yearly pass.

Images
    Do it! Reclaim public land!

You got my support, I am fed up up with this bullsh!t, too...may join you this weekend.

I thought when you joined fight club you werent supposed to talk about operation mayhem?

if its closed then there should be nobody there to bust you. i mean if a bunch of elderly veterans can reopen the memorials then a bunch of surfers should be able to open the beach

Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    Is anyone else ready to invade the National Side to open it up? I want to go at low tide today and sneak in.

I am wondering how they deal with it when I complain after they open it and I ask for a refund for a new yearly pass.
    Quite a few people are just walking down the beach from State lot and surfing the fed. But not nearly as many as there would be if the lot is open so enjoy the uncrowded lineup and the 10 minute walk. I honestly didn't notice a whole lot of difference in the surf from one end to the other so I'm not sure it was worth the walk, but remember the fed parking lot is really what is closed...not the ocean, I haven't seen or heard of a single surfer being kicked out who just walked down. Can anyone confirm that this actually happened?
    Last edited by South Bethany; Oct 16, 2013 at 09:48 PM.

I heard during Bill or something Park rangers were kicking people out of Sandy Hook NJ, I looked for the footage, but couldnt find it, then again that was for 'rip currents' and not a shutdown

but I did find this 'tidbit' about the lighthouse... Enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lz4juXVG2E
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM.