LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    while you seem to make sense, you cant exactly prove the hypothesis.
    Snowden may be a plant as well, where does then paranoia end?
    I have a really hard time seeing how copycats arent going to jump on this.
    Its kinda like saying since the neighborhood weed dealer got popped no one else will jump in the spot

And bitcoin is still functioning, it didn't make a rollercoaster like this spring after the ECB grabbed all those cypriot deposits, it went from $40>$260>$100 in a week or two if I remember correctly
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Oct 4, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

double post
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Oct 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Images
    Like I said, I'm not ruling anything out. But to hear that a system like this was in place on American soil for so long is a big red flag to me. I just think generally, American citizens underestimate the power and corrupt capabilities of our government. No ones encryption, when publicly used is stronger than the .gov . I just think the story stinks of irony and this is just story. Uncle Sam doesn't let 10$ go untaxed so to think they say around while hundreds of millions were made and exchanged is unrealistic. Bit coin was just part of it. Shutting down but coin would be like penalizing PayPal if the mob was using them. I understand that part of it. Just saying that is super fishy

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zach619 View Post
    Like I said, I'm not ruling anything out. But to hear that a system like this was in place on American soil for so long is a big red flag to me. I just think generally, American citizens underestimate the power and corrupt capabilities of our government. No ones encryption, when publicly used is stronger than the .gov . I just think the story stinks of irony and this is just story. Uncle Sam doesn't let 10$ go untaxed so to think they say around while hundreds of millions were made and exchanged is unrealistic. Bit coin was just part of it. Shutting down but coin would be like penalizing PayPal if the mob was using them. I understand that part of it. Just saying that is super fishy
    yea if you're the NSA or some other evil Acronym, Why shut a site like this down early?...sit on it for a while, monitor it, and let all the people you'd like to catch come to YOU...hell it was probably all CIA anyway...
    F%ck is the sh%t getting deep or what!?

Zach, You are right on for the most part

I do want to say a few things....
    1) Up untill the mid 90's heavy encryption was considered 'military hardware/munitions' despite it being software, so one of two things happened, they couldn't keep the genie in the bottle, or they have methods of cracking everything...for that they would have to have a quantum computer, which likely doesn't exist yet
    And a 1024 bit key would take the combined computing power of the world several decades to break

So I think the Genie/bottle route is correct, hence lava bit and cryptohippie being SHUT DOWN, they cant peek in and grab what they want, and privacy is being demonized these days

2) bitcoin is decentralized, impossible to 'shut down' due to thousands of copies of the blockchain (but can be made illegal, but so is (your fav substance here) )but people can be skeered and retreat from that method of exchange if its seen to not have the ability to trade for goods and services.

Paypay is centralized and subject to the FINcen douches and totally able to be shut down

while I get what you are saying, there is a bit of a difference making the analogy not apt

3) and the honey pot (if it was one) went for a while, maybe they had enough badgers in there to make it worthwhile to close.....and maybe they will start another one

BBG it is getting deep, makes my head hurt, have a good weekend yall

Why do I think even reading those articles has put me on an NSA watch list?

spying has a chilling authority on free speech.............so chilling you are scared to read something.

there is something wrong with that

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    spying has a chilling authority on free speech.............so chilling you are scared to read something.

there is something wrong with that
    Despite "freedom" our lives are intimately scrutinized on a regular basis.

its not despite freedom, its that the freedom is an illusion, Frank Zappa said it best:

The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.