LOGIN | REGISTER

Turks and Caicos

Heading down there for a week beginning Saturday. Going to be hanging with Dave Kalama at Kalama Kamp. My old man is a die hard SUPer so we'll be doing some downwinders and river trips and stuff like that. Last year they had some good surf and spent the afternoons off the outer reefs getting some waves, so I'm bringing my fish. Figure if its small to medium I'll be able to get into some tropical barrels. Report does not look so great, but I'm not sure if thats mainland T&C or the outer reefs.
    Any of the SI forum boys been down there and surf?

ive been there but not to surf nor did i see any waves to catch but who knows maybe you'll be more lucky.

Images
    looking at the satellite map, there's a lot of way offshore reef . Other than the one area midway on the island(s), you're gonna be paddling your ass off on your fish just to make it to the surf and back.

I went there in 2005, stayed on Providenciales for my honeymoon, but didn't surf. While I was there, Hurricane Wilma took out Miami Airport, so we couldn't get off the island for about 5 extra days. It kind of sucked, because I could see some big waves breaking on the reef (way far out), but could not find anybody around at the time who surfed or knew anything about surfing. I finally talked to a scuba dive boat captain towards the end of the trip who told me they surf more on North and East Caicos Islands, but most of the good reefs are only accessible by boat.

Edit: I just looked up where Kalama Kamp is and it's the same island I was on. That Club Med Turkois was almost right next to where I stayed.
    Last edited by Losttsol; Oct 3, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    I went there in 2005, stayed on Providenciales for my honeymoon, but didn't surf. While I was there, Hurricane Wilma took out Miami Airport, so we couldn't get off the island for about 5 extra days. It kind of sucked, because I could see some big waves breaking on the reef (way far out), but could not find anybody around at the time who surfed or knew anything about surfing. I finally talked to a scuba dive boat captain towards the end of the trip who told me they surf more on North and East Caicos Islands, but most of the good reefs are only accessible by boat.

Edit: I just looked up where Kalama Kamp is and it's the same island I was on. That Club Med Turkois was almost right next to where I stayed.
    Nice! The Kalama Kamp guys partner with a company called liquid blue that does a lot of SUP and Kite surfing trips, and have a pretty big boat they load the gang on and head out to the reefs. I talked to a guy who went in 2012 and he said he broke 2 leashes and that it was 'well overhead' for a couple of days in a row. Fingers crossed. Pretty stoked to meet Kalama. I've got some questions on what its like to surf 100+ foot egypt.