LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thoughts on waverunner tow-ins...

Today at Long Beach, NY there was a waverunner pulling guys into 3 ft'ers...
    While they were having fun laughing it up, they proceeded to drive through the lineup, breaking up incoming swells... and left us on edge.

What are the etiquettes and thoughts on this? They have a right, but shouldnt they find a spot that doesn't have people in the water/line up? I couldn't help but picture the potential accident if one of them lost control and speared someone at speed. (They weren't very good, really felt like amateurs goofing)

I've read on this forum about a NJ crew that does this... and I wondered if I was blessed with their presence today...

I'm I just getting to be an old man?

Completely unacceptable in a lineup. If they want to practice tow-ins, they need to go somewhere without people.

Waverunners tend to turn people into 'tards and strip them of all situational awareness.

They should have gone to an empty area, they have no business being near swimmers and surfers.

Ask them politely to move. If they don't, cold-cock the driver and steal their safety shutoff key. Then proceed to watch them bob around in the breakers while you throw seashells filled with seagull scat at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Ask them politely to move. If they don't, cold-cock the driver and steal their safety shutoff key. Then proceed to watch them bob around in the breakers while you throw seashells filled with seagull scat at them.
    Erock knows how to get things done!

Images
    +1 to what these guys said. They shouldn't be out near you guys, effing up the set waves. And if I see dudes doing that, sorry, but I wanna see some big airs...if you're towing in to 3 footers and not even ripping I mean, come on.

if they do it near lineups, erocks response seems legit.

Yep that is bull sh!t in the lineup. This ain't mavs or chopes so there is no need for towing in and tow at's are so 2005! Follow what Erock said and all should be good.

That wouldn't fly around here, ass whippings would be handed out and rightfully so, I think they saw that video of what happened in Tahiti and they think they're jokesters

Down here in Florida you are only allowed to use jet ski's in certain marked places on the beach. At the NSB inlet or Ponce side they do not allow it. There's also just far too many people in the lineup to even consider that.

We also have a lot of kite boarders and they can pretty much go where they want except close to the inlet break.

Down here I think its just an issue of too many people so they try to keep the masses safe.

As for tow-ins in general if the waves are too big to paddle into then fine. If its a place like Jaws or teahapoo or like Popoyo Outer reef then I can see using them. Think its kind of pointless though if you can paddle into waves.

I am all for using them to get to the waves though.

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Down here in Florida you are only allowed to use jet ski's in certain marked places on the beach. At the NSB inlet or Ponce side they do not allow it. There's also just far too many people in the lineup to even consider that.

We also have a lot of kite boarders and they can pretty much go where they want except close to the inlet break.

Down here I think its just an issue of too many people so they try to keep the masses safe.

As for tow-ins in general if the waves are too big to paddle into then fine. If its a place like Jaws or teahapoo or like Popoyo Outer reef then I can see using them. Think its kind of pointless though if you can paddle into waves.

I am all for using them to get to the waves though.
    +1 They even tell fishing boats they are too close to shore as well and tell them to go further out, I've only seen it enforced at the Inlet like you said though. Other places have nobody there to say anything, so depends on the beach.