LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    If you don't get in the water frequently... and by that I mean surfing even on those marginal days... don't go too far with a performance board. I think you're right by saying, "higher" performance. That said, I'd go with something more like a shortboard in design, but still carrying some foam.. a "big guy" shortboard, some would call it. I've always told people in your situation to look into a hybrid shape, which is an oversized performance shortboard... a funshape with a more performance oriented outline, foil, bottom, rails, etc.... but shorter and narrower, with only slightly less volume. A step up in performance, but not such a big step that you'll struggle for 6 months before you start to get the thing wired. Something you'll be able to jump right into, feel a noticeable difference, but not waste a dozen swells trying to figure it out.
    This is good advice. Going from a fun shape to a fish or performance egg is a good transition. You want enough volume to give you some boyancy, but not so much that you struggle to make turns.

Quote Originally Posted by WopWop77 View Post
    Can anyone recommend any local shapers in Jersey?
    i see your from up north, but if your down by the beach i would check out greenlight in squan. super cool dudes who will talk with you about what you need. http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/

you can score a custom for way less than a name brand board of the racks. local shapers i have used:

http://chaizesurfboards.blogspot.com/
    http://www.wynnsurfboards.com/
    http://surfboardsbyrider.com/

Ricky Carroll is the man and master shaper! He just won a bunch of awards at the surf expo for shaping!

Wopwop just go talk to Ricky tell him what you would like, give him a little background info besides just height and weight. How long have you surfed? How well do you surf? Where do you typically surf.... etc....

Be honest with the man because he can shape you a perfect ride with the info you provide him.

Can anyone recommend any local shapers in Jersey?
    i can shape you a new board for $375, shoot me an email if interested Shipwrecksurfboards@yahoo.com, you can check out some other boards i've made. www.shipwrecksurfboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    If you don't get in the water frequently... and by that I mean surfing even on those marginal days... don't go too far with a performance board. I think you're right by saying, "higher" performance. That said, I'd go with something more like a shortboard in design, but still carrying some foam.. a "big guy" shortboard, some would call it. I've always told people in your situation to look into a hybrid shape, which is an oversized performance shortboard... a funshape with a more performance oriented outline, foil, bottom, rails, etc.... but shorter and narrower, with only slightly less volume. A step up in performance, but not such a big step that you'll struggle for 6 months before you start to get the thing wired. Something you'll be able to jump right into, feel a noticeable difference, but not waste a dozen swells trying to figure it out.
    I've been surfing a year now, through the winter and all that. For the past past month I've been transitioning from a very high volume 8-4 beginner's board to a 7 ft swallowtail quad (22" wide, 3" thick with a fair amount of nose rocker). I get out at least 4X/week, and it's been tough and frustrating at times. I can catch waves and rides, but not with any consistency. Lots of trips over the falls. There are times when I think I should've gone up to a long board, but I wanted to downsize a bit while still young. Just turned 58.

Big guy short boards include Rusty Big Cat, Sharpeye Blowfish, WRV Nugget . . . They need a little bit of punch in the wave, but you get that with jersey beach breaks. Dave Hamilton makes a great board with rocker, speed and paddle-ability, surfed that at Squan the Friday before the Belmar pro in chest high surf. I think he calls it a Vector. But if you are going over the falls a lot I might be thinking technique over board. Not that some rocker doesn't help, but, just sayin'. Are you in position? And paddling fast enough? Not knocking, just asking.

This board for a beginner/intermediate 200 lb.er in a 7'4" length

RCarrolld_934.jpg
    After 5 years I am finally outgrowing my 7\"4\" ricky carroll funshaped board. I am looking for a board that I can ride in larger surf. 4+ and up this fall/winter.<br /><br />I am 5\"10\" 200lbs. <br /><br />Any suggestions on a new board would be greatly appreciated.
    Dude, you have the correct shaper (Ricky Carroll), you just need THIS board now that you're ripping the
    funshape:
    http://easternlines.com/surf/surfboa...l#.UlAMm1Phfj8

Be careful, what options you choose with this or another similar model of Ricky Carroll's, that's all. Don't
    get it 2 7/8" thick - you only need about 2 5/8" - 2 3/4" thick. I am 196 lbs. and I surf boards 2 5/8" thick
    without any problems (6'10" long). You need a little more paddle but not a huge amount more. You could
    also order a fish but I'm just assuming for now, what you would order in a shortboard. You need about
    40 - 50 litres in volume. I'm not sure where in that range. 37 litres is a little too drastic a drop for you.
    I surf boards that are between 30 and 37 litres mostly.

I suspect that you are more towards the 50 litre+ range of volume - I just don't want to see you on
    a board that has an increase in thickness and a huge outline. If they take a little out of the nose and
    tail in outline, and a little out of the thickness, you should be ok.

Listen to Agabinet - if you go over the falls, then the head-high Jersey surf is hard to catch due
    to steepness. I personally need MORE paddle when I surf Ocean City, New Jersey's jetty breaks - they
    are steep. For this, you need a nice custom-sized/perhaps even custom-shaped board. This is
    a big decision - good luck and ask questions.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by ScorchieLeWave; Oct 5, 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    i can shape you a new board for $375, shoot me an email if interested Shipwrecksurfboards@yahoo.com, you can check out some other boards i've made. www.shipwrecksurfboards.com
    Shipwreck's boards are sick and you won't find anyone else in NJ that will shape a custom for that good of a price. I would take him up on that offer if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    ...But if you are going over the falls a lot I might be thinking technique over board. Not that some rocker doesn't help, but, just sayin'. Are you in position? And paddling fast enough? Not knocking, just asking.
    Thanks. I do think it's technique, or my lack of, more than anything.
    I think what will help, as it has in the past, is to ask one of the experienced regulars I know to watch and critique what I'm doing. Practicing the wrong thing over and over again without any feedback only reinforces the problem.

Contact B Wynn. Great shaper, cool guy. Talk to him about what you like in a board etc, he can make it. Support your local shaper.