LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks for the alternative viewpoint Emass, tuning the biomechanics of SB moves is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, and do it without having to necessarily depend on whatever the ocean is dishing up on a given day ... the translation between concrete and water thought is leaving me a little skeptical, and I'd hate to find that the Carver is just another gimmicky skateboard... I'm not and I've never been a sk8ter ... I'm really trying to find something that will allow me to fine-tune my surfing skills without all the variables the ocean can throw at you, unless of course that's simply not the best way to approach the problem. Anyways, you've all given me a lot to think about, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jasorod View Post
    Thanks for the alternative viewpoint Emass, tuning the biomechanics of SB moves is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, and do it without having to necessarily depend on whatever the ocean is dishing up on a given day ... the translation between concrete and water thought is leaving me a little skeptical, and I'd hate to find that the Carver is just another gimmicky skateboard... I'm not and I've never been a sk8ter ... I'm really trying to find something that will allow me to fine-tune my surfing skills without all the variables the ocean can throw at you, unless of course that's simply not the best way to approach the problem. Anyways, you've all given me a lot to think about, thanks!
    No problem braddah. I've never been a skater and don't ever plan to be. The Carver is not a skateboard, sorry to all those who'd classify it as one. I can straight screw on a Carver but would be an invalid on a real skate. The Carver is cross-training and a perfect supplement (not substitute) for ocean surfing. Even when you're pushing higher speeds on the Carver, it's still not near as fast as the speed you're at in a good wave. Therefore, your choreography and technical sculpture is done at a slower, and far more precise rate.

Think of your motor skills and mechanics as memory foam. Every rep of a movement is an imprint, for better or worse. The Carver allows you to feel out the necessary mechanics and what impact they have on your execution. They can be modified mid-rep if imperfect since the slower movement speed allows. I've seen for years in two other very technical sports that I'm highly skilled in that having a predominant basis of slower movement training allows you to execute those movements at full speed later on with far greater efficacy.

Brah, get the Carver. You'll be very pleased. PM me anytime with questions or to just rap about it. In the last 6 weeks while I haven't been able to even get 10 sessions in this NE flatness, I've taken a trip to El Salvador, a trip to SoCal, and trained the Carver for hours a day. I've turned more corners in surfing progress in that time by multiples over the rest of my time surfing. Now every time I hit the water, my progress goes through the roof and my ability to see and feel my mechanics while surfing are so much clearer. Get the Carver.
    Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Oct 4, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Nothing surpasses time in the water...experience, ability to read waves/conditions, timing, etc...
    Agreed. That's why I made it clear the Carver is an ideal supplement, not substitute for surfing. How many guys on here promoting the LB over the Carver have ridden a Carver? Not only that, but some may be biased to LBs anyway. Brah wants to rip on an SB and has his basics down. Brah needs to then stay specific to SBs with his training.

Images
    Godspeed Spicoli.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Brah needs to then stay specific to SBs with his training.
    Thanks coach....

one thing you can't learn from a skateboard is how waves act, how they change, where and when to be. Master that and you can shred on a gnarloo.

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    Thanks coach....
    You're welcome scotty

is the carver the board with dual spring trucks and inflatable wheels?

one thing you can't learn from a skateboard is how waves act, how they change, where and when to be. Master that and you can shred on a gnarloo.
    There ya go.

Nothing has improved my shortboard maneuvers more than my skateboards but nothing has improved my flow and style better than my longboard. Depends what you need now but you're going to want both eventually. That being said, VB has no hills so take that into consideration with the skateboard.