LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    So put up the vid or link that shows you actually making a steep drop and pulling in and out of a tube.

tlokein!! Roy just called you a "sweeper" and claimed he eats you and your type for breakfast!! Wow you must be sore!!!
    Roy, I believe tlokein rides all types of boards including, God forbid, an SUP and is comparing your giant wooden yacht and its qualities to an SUP.
    You quote everyone out of context.

Yeah, can we stop the whole taking of sentences and phrases out of context so you can systematically dismiss them? My favorite is when you edit people's quotes for them and then respond.

Not trying to be (overly) snarky here, just seems to me that if you genuinely want to foster real discussion about your work (and for the record, I'm not talking about these "show me video or it's false" posts), then just respond to the posts as a whole. If we, as a SwellInfo community, admit to you that as a whole, we do not always form perfect sentences, will you just respond to the context of a post, instead of chopping it up to try to paint the entire thing as dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post

Roy, I believe tlokein rides all types of boards including, God forbid, an SUP and is comparing your giant wooden yacht and its qualities to an SUP.
    Well,

I have been making longboards at 27" wide for years, long before the SUP craze.

SUPs are necessarily handicapped however by the thickness requirement, they have a few other issues also.

Not doubting you Roy, just curious on your take on how a SUP rides versus your boards in a little more detail, be something I can actually relate to (I don't have the requisite funds to try one of your boards out)

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post

Yeah, can we stop the whole taking of sentences and phrases out of context so you can systematically dismiss them? My favorite is when you edit people's quotes for them and then respond.
    I do not edit in such a way that it takes the phrases out of context or changes the meaning, and unlike other posters here who blithely say that I have said things which I never have, I quote rather than just making up false statements.

I notice that you don't object to people attributing statements to me which I have never made, but complain when I respond with actual quotes to answer specific statements.

That is an inconsistent stance.

Not trying to be (overly) snarky here, just seems to me that if you genuinely want to foster real discussion about your work (and for the record, I'm not talking about these "show me video or it's false" posts), then just respond to the posts as a whole. If we, as a SwellInfo community, admit to you that as a whole, we do not always form perfect sentences, will you just respond to the context of a post, instead of chopping it up to try to paint the entire thing as dumb?
    Frankly the posts in question are 'dumb' and me answering specific parts of them highlights this.

What you are talking about re. context is really 'between the lines' vibe... which is always vague and ill defined.

Here's an idea for you: tell people not to attribute to me ideas and phrases which I have never written or uttered.... and I'll continue to answer logically, honestly and calmly to whatever I feel needs to be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post

Not doubting you Roy, just curious on your take on how a SUP rides versus your boards in a little more detail, be something I can actually relate to (I don't have the requisite funds to try one of your boards out)
    There are many different SUP shapes out there so my answer must necessarily be general. On that basis the most obvious difference is the volume and thickness. I keep my boards relatively thin. Also the width I use, although wide for a longboard is on the lower end of the scale for SUps.

It would be an easy matter to get a board similar to mine made in foam, the principles which they use are simple and the designs are forgiving of variations in shape.

By using a parallel profile I achieve whatever buoyancy is required with the thinnest possible board. So, if designing a foam version go for very little or no profile taper.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    I do not edit in such a way that it takes the phrases out of context or changes the meaning, and unlike other posters here who blithely say that I have said things which I never have, I quote rather than just making up false statements.

I notice that you don't object to people attributing statements to me which I have never made, but complain when I respond with actual quotes to answer specific statements.

That is an inconsistent stance.

Frankly the posts in question are 'dumb' and me answering specific parts of them highlights this.

What you are talking about re. context is really 'between the lines' vibe... which is always vague and ill defined.

Here's an idea for you: tell people not to attribute to me ideas and phrases which I have never written or uttered.... and I'll continue to answer logically, honestly and calmly to whatever I feel needs to be answered.

Boy, you sure are defensive. I say all that from the point of view from someone who wants to see more actual conversation and less "dumb" comments. I have no problem with disdain for comments like that. I agree they are dumb. That's what I was saying.

Gotta say though, if reading between the lines for context is so vague and ill defined, where do you get off editing quotes and paraphrasing other people in order to respond to them?

No need to get all bent out of shape on this. I'm not on Team Bash Roy, just a neutral party who likes to read actual conversation about surfboards and surfing. IMHO, your style of responding to posts/debate is hindering your own attempts to have real discussions about the board, and bringing on more of the same "dumb" posts.

And Roy, I don't agree with people false attributing comments to you either. However, since these threads are essentially a "you vs. the world" kind of thing on SI, it seemed easier for me to try to appeal to one person in an attempt to further the discussion then to try to reason with an entire forum, who recently dedicated their time to launch a written invasion of a competing surf website.

Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    tlokein!! Roy just called you a "sweeper" and claimed he eats you and your type for breakfast!! Wow you must be sore!!!
    You quote everyone out of context.
    Yeah I'm pretty beat up about it. Probably won't get much sleep tonight.

And correct I ride pretty much anything, I'm not inherently biased. I'll try a wooden door for giggles. I'd even try one of Roy's arks. And as I've stated before if there are waves, I surf. No waves, I SUP. Shorebreak, I sponge it. First preference is always to surf. Broom only comes out when there are no waves.
    Last edited by tlokein; Feb 7, 2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Fergot one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    As a matter of fact it is a reasonable request and I have not said anything to the contrary...Anyway I'll keep in mind that you'd like to see some tube footage.
    I'll wait...