LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 505
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post


    Just complete BS. With a 9'+ LB, I can catch any choppy or small wave.

    Maybe, but making the wave successfully is another matter.

    I have had countless sessions during which regular longboards and their riders have been unable to achieve a successful ride.

    That's just the way it is and it can't be changed by your protests. Of course since you no doubt have never confronted such superior boards in the water, it is natural that you doubt what I'm saying. The waves I'm speaking of you would probably imagine to be unrideable for a variety of reasons.

    The fashion based design aims of the malibu types come at a price un terms of wave making ability in many conditions.


    It is not possible that your board would be the ONLY one that could catch the wave.
    It is entirely possible and happens frequently, but I'm not just talking about catching the waves I'm also talking about making them.

    .

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Maybe, but making the wave successfully is another matter.

    I have had countless sessions during which regular longboards and their riders have been unable to achieve a successful ride.

    That's just the way it is and it can't be changed by your protests. Of course since you no doubt have never confronted such superior boards in the water, it is natural that you doubt what I'm saying. The waves I'm speaking of you would probably imagine to be unrideable for a variety of reasons.

    The fashion based design aims of the malibu types come at a price un terms of wave making ability in many conditions.



    It is entirely possible and happens frequently, but I'm not just talking about catching the waves I'm also talking about making them.

    .
    Catching and riding a wave makes it successful to me. Do you realize you are arguing with a South Carolinian about abilities to successfully ride a tiny choppy wave? We are masters of the trash surf. That's all we get for weeks at a time. And local shapers build boards that are made to ride these waves. They are very different that the Malibu style that you have mostly experienced. I am not sure what you mean by fashion based designs. If anything, I think your board is the one putting looks ahead of function. The LB's I surf are big and ugly, and that is just what I like.

    BTW, there hasn't been an "unrideable" wave day here. Any day that there is even an ankle high ripple, I can ride the wave. You make wild claims for someone who has probably not traveled to the US EC and experienced our waves.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Oct 24, 2013 at 06:55 AM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    They are very different that the Malibu style that you have mostly experienced.

    Show me please.



    BTW, there hasn't been an "unrideable" wave day here. Any day that there is even an ankle high ripple, I can ride the wave. You make wild claims for someone who has probably not traveled to the US EC and experienced our waves.
    Small weak short period waves also occur here, you don't have a monopoly on them.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    I think your board is the one putting looks ahead of function.

    .
    I've never in my life changed the shape of a board for the sake of looks.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Show me please.

    Allison Performance EC style balsa LB:


    Ricky Carroll EC style:
    These are shapes that work best in the trash we get on the east coast, and they have been shaped by guys that know our breaks better than anyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Small weak short period waves also occur here, you don't have a monopoly on them.
    However, since I know we have more of these days than NZ, I would say we have a bit more experience. As a side note, our local Roy-style board (built by Steve) didn't seem to work well in our typical small mushy waves.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    These are shapes that work best in the trash we get on the east coast, and they have been shaped by guys that know our breaks better than anyone.

    While I like the board at the top, the general shape and size of the boards you are showing are nothing unusual here, and frankly the wouldn't get a look in on many days which are perfectly rideable on the kind of craft I'm making. I'm sure you get to take off some where at some point but would often not get very far.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    While I like the board at the top, the general shape and size of the boards you are showing are nothing unusual here, and frankly the wouldn't get a look in on many days which are perfectly rideable on the kind of craft I'm making. I'm sure you get to take off some where at some point but would often not get very far.
    I have plenty of experience with Allison boards. I have never had a problem catching and riding waves of any size. And I can ride it all the way to the beach, if I wanted to. However, I usually cut the ride short to spare the fin. I would love to see videos of these waves you think are only rideable with your boards.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    I have plenty of experience with Allison boards. I have never had a problem catching and riding waves of any size. And I can ride it all the way to the beach, if I wanted to. However, I usually cut the ride short to spare the fin. I would love to see videos of these waves you think are only rideable with your boards.
    I've been here before, keyboard experts claim that they could definitely not only ride those waves but do moves as well.... too easy to say, not easy to do.

    The difference is that I surf all the time along with people riding the usual range of equipment, so I know what happens, whereas as you have never surfed with me on one of my boards, so are just hoping, assuming, and guessing.

    So, you are in no position to judge... but no problem just call it anyway.

  9. #49
    The balsa board looks like it would do very well for the size and be pretty versatile so I'm not knocking your experience with it. The others look a bit clunky in the planshape but it is hard to tell from the pics. By the way there are many Allisons in my immediate family.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    I've been here before, keyboard experts claim that they could definitely not only ride those waves but do moves as well.... too easy to say, not easy to do.

    The difference is that I surf all the time along with people riding the usual range of equipment, so I know what happens, whereas as you have never surfed with me on one of my boards, so are just hoping, assuming, and guessing.

    So, you are in no position to judge... but no problem just call it anyway.
    Your problem is that you are always making claims with no video evidence to prove anything. If we are going on hearsay, Clemson can back me up on our normal conditions in this area and how rideable they are with EC boards. He can also attest to the less than stellar performance of the Steve-Roy board in these conditions. He never claimed it was a bad board, but didn't work well in Washout (Folly) mush.