LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Surfing vs Team Sports

A friend recently noted that among his gradchildren the one that excelled at surfing was the one that was the least athletically inclined. I have heard this before that sometimes the best surfers that pick it up the quickest are not always the kids that do well in sports.

I wonder why that is???

As for team sports, we Surfers don't play well with others... everyone knows that.

Images
    I'd agree with it.

I've seen the same type of thing in fighting. My brother is a BJJ blackbelt and is pretty awful at "ball sports" but looks like a fish IN the water on the mats.

I don't have a hypothesis why... maybe hand-eye coordination vs body awareness.

Interesting thread. I think what is happening today is that if you don't dedicate your self to one specific sport or interest AT A REALLY EARLY AGE then you will not be able to play that sport by High School. All 3 of my sons are good surfers, fisherman, and hunters. They are athletic but since they never played for a travel team or were sent to play baseball in a Winter league in Arizona, or attended football camps all year long, or transferred to a new England prep school to play ice hockey, they just weren't competitive enough to play at level higher than a recreational league. As we all know, you can be a good surfer and not surf competitively. Surfing itself is hard to label. Is it just a sport? An artful expression? Commune with nature? Church? All of these things? I think Surfer mag just did a story on this.

I hate when people consider surfing a sport,but I feel the same for football and think surfing is more of a sport than things like tennis and golf.surfings just the thing to do,makes u feel good.i occasionally play football but I hate watching it.the money these guys get is redicilous.surfers put their lives on the line and deserve more pay.it would be cool if surfing fans were like fb and bb fans where they are fat and out of shape and never dare to take the sport on themselves.the more commercialized surfing becomes the crowder our sacred spots will become.i don't surf to gain fame or get fans,i prefer cold windy rainy days on an empty beach and being the only soul out.the ocean is always changing and I welcome all the challenges mother nature throws at me.not a fan of team sports,every man for themselves.

surfing is an athletic endeavor or something other than a sport, its only a sport if
    1) the scoring is objective (not surfing or ice dancing)
    2) and someone is trying to stop you from scoring (I know those paddle round johnny cakes are trying to stop you from scoring set waves)
    3) you break a sweat

IM not so HO

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    surfing is an athletic endeavor or something other than a sport, its only a sport if
    1) the scoring is objective (not surfing or ice dancing)
    2) and someone is trying to stop you from scoring (I know those paddle round johnny cakes are trying to stop you from scoring set waves)
    3) you break a sweat

IM not so HO
    I agree with 1 & 2.

Just because you're wet doesn't mean you're not sweating. Don't be fooled, you're definitely sweating.

What is HO?

In My not so Humble Opinion

I know I sweat in a fullsuit and in FL when the water is 85, but its not a sport, its an athletic endeavor

for instance, in chess, scoring is objective and someone is trying to stop you from scoring, but odds are you arent breaking a sweat, therefore not a sport

juijitsui, all three conditions are met, >> JJ is a sport

Images
    So what you're saying is the sky is blue but I think it's more of a shade of azure. We all know I'm right on this one.

It is a matter of aptitude and attitude. Most of my friends and their kids that surf are real good at ball sports, just not that obsessed as we are towards the waves. The spontaneity and the reflexes involved in surfing challenging waves also lends itself to being good at martial arts. Ball sports, with their rigid rules makes me feel like a round hole in a square peg.