LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i wouldn't call our kind not athletically inclined...
    i guess it boils down to the individual personality. surfing, grappling, etc. is all about me. just myself. not saying we're not team players; just get more satisfaction accomplishing stuff without anyone's help. my $0.02

As far as surfing being a sport, I don't believe so. Atleast not for me. For me it's a physical endeavour like someone else said, but I look at it as more of a way of life/religion. I don't live by the bible, I live by the wind, tide, and swell.
    As far as solo sports vs team sports. I played football and lacrosse growing up, wasn't bad but not the best by any means. When I got older (middle school) I got into surfing and judo. I excelled at these two activities much more then team sports. Since I dont surf competitively I can't speak about it but in judo when it's just you against another man I find it much more intense. No one else to count on, just yourself. Wins are more satisfying and losses hurt more then in team sports. I have no idea why but that's my opinion on the subject

Other than some water polo in high school, all my sports or activities have been individual. Am I a loner? Perhaps. Probably would've been a good mountain man. I don't mind talking to people and being friendly, just never cared much for crowds. But I do like going to a big league or AAA ball park to watch a game. So there's an inconsistency.
    Surfing is a good fit for me. Wish I had started it sooner.

Surfing is a sport if you make it one. I don't like to make it one. For me it's a way to minimize competition, not carry it from our societal rat race to the water.

But hey, to those that like to compete more power to ya! Just don't drag the rest of us into the aggrofest.

Quote Originally Posted by BassMon View Post
    ...when it's just you against another man I find it much more intense. No one else to count on, just yourself.
    Wins are more satisfying and losses hurt more than in team sports. I have no idea why but that's my opinion on the subject
    I think you answered your last sentence in the preceding two. Also, on a team, a loss is shared.

surfing is an addiction not a sport

Interesting thread. Some insights that are pretty neat.

I view surfing as a sport in the sense of the challenge. It feels like the challenge of any sport that I've ever competed in.

Having said that, it's like no other sport I've ever competed in. There is a constantly changing 'playing field.' As in, by the minute sometimes, that's how fast things can change. Whereas other sports are static in terms of the playing field (with exceptions, e.g., competitive sailing, kayaking, most competitions held on non-man-made water surfaces).

It's also important to select the proper equipment for the conditions.

And there certainly are competitors out there, as anyone knows from crowded days.

So, that stuff adds up to me to make it a sport.

But it can also be an art, an endeavor, a passion, that transcends sport. Maybe that last bit explains Dane Reynolds quandary / confusion, lol.
    Last edited by yankee; Oct 8, 2013 at 01:16 AM.

I can see the individual vs team aspect. I have surfed since high school and only played tennis, golf and did hunting, climbing, martial arts and other outdoors activities but did not like team sports as I got pissed if someone else let the team down and felt terrible if I let the team down. In individual sports you only got yourself to blame. As for not being good at sports in general I would say depends on the person. I was ranked in the top 10 in the southeast during Jr tennis, played golf till I got married at a 3-6 handicap and hold a black belt in Taekwondo and brown in karate and trained in hapkido for 2.5 years with a 9th Dan Korean Master. Course I can't dunk, hit a curve ball or slap shot but those were not sports I pursued. As for surfing being a sport, I say only if you are on tour otherwise it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    its only a sport if
    1) the scoring is objective (not surfing or ice dancing)
    2) and someone is trying to stop you from scoring (I know those paddle round johnny cakes are trying to stop you from scoring set waves)
    3) you break a sweat
    not to derail this thread into a "what is or is not a sport" discussion/debate, but as someone who competed in cross country running & track & field at a high level for many years, i'm gonna have to go ahead & call bs on the above.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    not to derail this thread into a "what is or is not a sport" discussion/debate, but as someone who competed in cross country running & track & field at a high level for many years, i'm gonna have to go ahead & call bs on the above.
    You're right, to better focus the discussion, an agreed upon definition of what constitutes a sport should be established ....Good luck.
    Anyway, per dictionary.com, a sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."