LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    This pretty much nails it. You just gotta start pulling in, you'll eventually learn how to read a wave to see if it will have a nice barrel and how to navigate said barrel. For the record, "user friendly" is a really relative term. Generally barrels = shallow. Sand bottom is probably the best because it won't cut the chitt out of you, but regardless you will be getting an intimate relationship with whatever bottom you are surfing over.

Oh yeah, learn how to fall correctly so you can control yourself while it's happening. I don't like hearing about people getting paralyzed.
    Could you elaborate on what to do and what not to do? Great topic here...

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    You could go from zero to hero on that wave. I haven't had many rides this year as long as some of those tubes. Nothing like an average of 10 second tubes.
    Right? Endless ecstasy. Just for good measure the dude in the gnome colored DC wetty hacked the living krapp outta those South African faces. That's one of my favorite videos of any. Plus, it's set to an ill track that could just go on and on and on. Kind of like those skeletal tubes. The track is kind of a heavenly symphonic sound. Perf for the pits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krl0919 View Post
    Start heaving yourself over the lip and grab some rail. There isn't really an easy way of learning. You just gotta take a few on the head and figure it out.
    The backside grab rail aka "Pigdog" stance is the way to roll. Plant your heels, grab the outside rail, drag your inside arm, then pull your fingers out of the face and hang on! If you get sucked up and over the falls, you already have a grip on your board. Hug her tight like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    All the answers to your questions can be found in Deal, New Jersey.
    lmao that's classic.most spots barrel,just wait for a day with some solid swell and try not to drown.if u cant ride a simple musher wave,i wouldn't recommend trying to go out when its barreling.if u don't know what ur doin,u can die.barrels are nice until u don't come out,and if u do come out then u weren't deep enough

Images
    Getting barreled and tube riding are very different. getting barreled for a few seconds can me achieved anywhere with the right tide and offshore conditions. Tube riding is possible only at certain break that break hard, steep, and have a pitching lip. For a person committed on getting tube rides I would suggest Puerto Rico, Marias beach or gas chambers. When these places are firing you can almost guarantee a tube ride for at least 5 seconds. Mexico offers some heaving waves as well. Here where I surf Long Island/ New Jersey area you can get tube rides but it has to be big I'm talking overhead waves to get that almond shape barrels to open up. Jersey I find pitches harder than Long Island unless your out east and still you need the right combination of winds' tides and swell size. Gas chamber tubes are insane. Huge oblong shape waves that will get you pitted the second you drop in. Good luck!!!

Images
    [QUOTE=EmassSpicoli;194396]Nothing worth having comes easy brah.

No lie!!! your gonna have to commit and take a few poundings before you reach the promised land!!

Start small... even on chest high days you can start to look for the pockets. Work on your timing either coming off the bottom by extending your bottom turn and watching the lip, or hooking it up under the lip and sort of stalling it, to put you right in the pocket as it laps over you. Reading the wave and timing will start to get you in the barrel whenever there's a bowly section to be had... if you're putting a conscious effort into finding the pocket and putting yourself in it. It's a deliberate thing, just like working on your hack and carves and airs. You gotta take every opportunity to practice. From there you can work your way up to full on tube rides.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 8, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    The backside grab rail aka "Pigdog" stance is the way to roll. Plant your heels, grab the outside rail, drag your inside arm, then pull your fingers out of the face and hang on! If you get sucked up and over the falls, you already have a grip on your board. Hug her tight like you mean it.
    Thanks everyone for all the replies. Sisurfdogg- on this, just for clarification, are you saying to do this in the barrel or to practice doing this on regular waves to get use to what you will do in the barrel? Also, it seems like you would want separation from the board when getting pounded.... you say to hold on tight. With the power of wave can you really hold on?

When i made this thread I was thinking maybe there had been previous discussions I couldnt find in the search about difficulty of different barreling waves. Like for instance if there are waves that are known as the worst to try to get your first barrel (Pipe, Chopes,etc) then there has to be ones that are known as being easier...possibly a difficulty scale like with standard waves.

I have watched tons of vids and I know that the vids make it look easy and the ocean perfect and fun, when it is not. I will try to find an example but I know I have seen smaller barreling waves where the riders are crouched and the wave isnt as tall or thick

In the meantime. This dude's vids are my fav surf vids and my inspiration for the life I would like to live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMiZshrL4k8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0z5H...I4HC5h02jwdpts

On the first link , peace left 3, at 17:15 when the song starts is my fav part of any surf movie
    Last edited by ninja323; Oct 8, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

hate to say this bro, but the hollower thew barrel, the more powerful the wave...

Quote Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
    hate to say this bro, but the hollower thew barrel, the more powerful the wave...
    Ya, I was kinda figuring that. That is one reason i was trying to see if there are any breaks that barrel but small barrels that they are crouching in.