LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Surfing and Martial Arts

I noticed that a number of members are or have been involved in martial arts. I was involved in Filipino martial arts until a year ago when I started surfing. Since then, surfing has taken over and either reduced or eliminated entirely time spent on other activities. My gi and kali sticks remain in the closet.
    Has anyone found martial arts to be a good complementary or beneficial activity to surfing?

nice to see another eskrimador in this forum!
    definitely does compliment each other. it's all about balance and coordination. other than FMA, i was heavy into BJJ, and surfing really helped out in that aspect, or vice versa. most of the gracie brothers are hardcore surfers, reason why they picked hawaii as their stomping ground here in 'merka

BJJ is super fun, like chess

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    BJJ is super fun, like chess
    ^^^this... poetry in motion, really

bjj black belt and muay thai for about 7 years.

not a very good surfer since i dont live close to the water. But i think the balance in bjj helps with surfing, plus the conditioning. Plus bjj lifestyle is very similar to surfing, unlike boxing and muay thai which is small amount of techniques and gets repetitive drilling them.

With bjj you have many styles and evry day can be something different. Plus a lot of bjj'ers on the coast surf...and both lifestyles smoke...

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    I noticed that a number of members are or have been involved in martial arts. I was involved in Filipino martial arts until a year ago when I started surfing. Since then, surfing has taken over and either reduced or eliminated entirely time spent on other activities. My gi and kali sticks remain in the closet.
    Has anyone found martial arts to be a good complementary or beneficial activity to surfing?
    Involved with some martial arts (mostly did it with my daughter). Anything that helps with your flexability and ability to focus with a lot going on around you helps your surfing. IM me if you feel like paddling out in the victory at sea conditions this week. I'm right off Bullpup.

Images
    Funny I just posted along these lines in the surf/sport thread. I trained BJJ and Muay Thai pretty hard for about 5 years(actually what decreased my water time along with an attempt at domesticity). I see a HUGE overlap, not only in the physical conditioning involved, but moreso in the states of mind you can reach and how said states of mind transfer into your everyday thinking.

I haven't rolled in a couple years now, too many skin ailments, torn meniscus, etc...and Jujitsu will forever hold a place in my heart, but the peak activity that trumps all in my book is riding waves. And IMO, it's the fear factor that does it. Getting beat up on the mats isn't that bad, but when you're paddling your arse off to get under that clean up set, or turn around and take one of those clean up set waves, man that just gets the juices flowing like no other.

kenpo for 5 years. some helped and some hurt. messed up my foot work on the board for a bit until i adjusted

I'd say it helps a lot if you have time for both. I practiced TWD when I was younger and that made my balance and flexibility unreal, still am very flexible and have great balance today and I don't even practice anymore and haven't in years, but some things stick with ya. I wouldn't do anything too brutal though, as that'll keep you out of the water at times, which in my opinion, is unacceptable HAHA

some of the most bad-ass guys on the north shore dont want any part of the surf, its all about what you are comfy with
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Oct 8, 2013 at 02:59 PM.