LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States

learned a valuable lesson today in CB

That being, never paddle out into decent sized surf (easily head high on the sets with a monstrous side/offshore and pitching out for days) with the smallest skeg you own on your 9'2", and expect to catch anything but air.
    For some reason I couldn't get the short skeg that's in my current hot-dogger (the side bites I had loaned to a friend) out so I could put in my longer one...I laughed to myself and thought oh what can it really matter...the waves didn't look that technical from shore. Plus I thought, a challenge should be "Fun".
    I started off by the pier so I could drift back down to where my buddy lives....

Needless to say, on each wave I tried I either caught air on take off, or slid around on the face so much that it made the whole session (which i cut short) a real bummer...
    Been surfing for 15 years and still it seems one can re-kookify!
    hope everyone else caught (actually caught) some of these waves!

What size fin were you using?

maybe a 6 to 7".. Fibreglass Fin Co. I dunno really , I inherited it so never measured it. I use it for shorebreak days...I can ride it way up close. It was dumb, and I looked dumber.

I ask because I ride a 9'2 with a 8'' Rainbow Rake and the sidebites. Sometimes I use a 9'' Wingnut Cutaway either single or with the sidebites.

Quote Originally Posted by babybabygrand View Post
    maybe a 6 to 7".. Fibreglass Fin Co. I dunno really , I inherited it so never measured it. I use it for shorebreak days...I can ride it way up close. It was dumb, and I looked dumber.
    Gotcha, that is kinda small for a single fin.

Definitely too small but you already learned that by how it didn't perform. I believe rule of thumb is 1" for every foot your board is, so at 9'2" you probably want to go with a 9" single or maybe an 8 like Bassplayer has

The whole trip was improperly planned..wasn't really gonna paddle out. kinda just drove down to my buddys crib so I could let my dog play in the sand for a bit while i checked the waves. just happened to have that board in the car with me and thought..oh well let's grab a few while I'm here. I'm going back out later, Im hoping the wind dies down...and I def will use a diff board or get that fin replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by babybabygrand View Post
    The whole trip was improperly planned..wasn't really gonna paddle out. kinda just drove down to my buddys crib so I could let my dog play in the sand for a bit while i checked the waves. just happened to have that board in the car with me and thought..oh well let's grab a few while I'm here. I'm going back out later, Im hoping the wind dies down...and I def will use a diff board or get that fin replaced!
    No way... you did the right thing! You never know, right? It could've been epic!
    Last edited by bassplayer; Oct 9, 2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added ellipsis for effect

that tiny fin sure does make mushy shorebreaky days fun though! And I can actually get a real easy 360 or 2 in with it bc its almost like riding on air already! I love showing ppl /fella surfers that you can have fun on the shattiest days imaginable...

Quote Originally Posted by bassplayer View Post
    No way you did the right thing. You never know, right? It could've been epic!
    now that you make me realize it, IT WAS KINDA EPIC!