LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

CB locals: who do you like for Town Council seats?

i know there's a few other CB residents among us: who do you like in the upcoming election for Town Council? or whom do you not like?

I wish ricky would run

I'm the worst kind of local. A summer and weekend local. Full timer in minus 6 years and counting. What are the issues? I know they are discussing a pool at the community center. I know building decks over the dunes is an issue. What changes beach, town, surf related are proposed?

LeAnn has my vote. She owns multiple businesses on the island, including a hotel, so she has plenty of experience with local business and tourism. She even serves on the town's Planning & Zoning Commission and New Hanover County's Tourism Development Authority. I worked for LeAnn for two years at her old surf shop - she really knows business. Definitely the most qualified in my opinion.

Hey, SCREWBY, keep it down with the pool talk. You don't want to get that started up again. Personally, I'm against the pool; mostly due to the initial construction cost and maintenance expenses. I totally recognize the benefits of having a community pool, but the town simply cannot afford it. You know what we really need? Another "road diet."

I haven't heard much on the decks, so I'll have to check the Gazette archives. The only thing surf related on the chopping block - to my knowledge - is the re-building of the North End jetty. There were talks in council last November, but I haven't heard anything lately.

Can anyone tell me why Ocean Plaza's lot is STILL vacant? What the hell happened to the "Grand Hilton" with the "skywalk?" I really miss the Plaza. I even miss Club Astor. Fortunately, we just got the go-ahead to give the Boardwalk a nice facelift. I'm pretty sure construction begins before the end of the year. It's going to look great!

Yeah, I heard about the boardwalk facelift. That will be cool. I doubt I'd ever use the pool. I use the condo pool to rinse off the salt water SHHHH.... don't tell anybody. Now at the risk of looking more stupid than I usually do, What is the North End Jetty? Is it the groin thing? The wooden posts in the ground that extend into the ocean on the north side of the pier?

Quote Originally Posted by CBSCREWBY View Post
    What is the North End Jetty? Is it the groin thing? The wooden posts in the ground that extend into the ocean on the north side of the pier?
    Exactly. I wasn't born yet, but there used to be a jetty right there way back in the day. I'm currently under the belief that it was torn down sometime in the 70s, but I could be wrong. Ask an old head and you'll get a different answer every time. Man, I love this beach. Anyway, the town was supposed to conduct (pay for) an inspection every year to make sure the jetty was still intact from natural wear & tear. Did we conduct the inspections? No. Year after year, the jetty would take a beating with little to no maintenence. Then, one bad ass hurricane rolled through and took the jetty with her.

In the same council meeting about the beach renourishment, they talked about the need to mend the North End jetty. Apparently, there are large boulders scattered around the area, which need to be moved. Rather than removing them from the water (to sell to another town), they were considering using the same boulders for the proposed jetty. Hell, we need one up there. I haven't heard much since, so things may have changed. I usually stick to my block anyway.

Evidently there used to be 6 piers back when my dad was doing construction in the summer. Times sure change

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    LeAnn has my vote. She owns multiple businesses on the island, including a hotel, so she has plenty of experience with local business and tourism. She even serves on the town's Planning & Zoning Commission and New Hanover County's Tourism Development Authority. I worked for LeAnn for two years at her old surf shop - she really knows business. Definitely the most qualified in my opinion.
    good to know you feel that way - she seems to have a lot of support. how about mayor?

Greg Barber for mayor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    good to know you feel that way - she seems to have a lot of support. how about mayor?
    This is an easy one - Dan Wilcox. Dan has lived on the island for almost 20 years and like LeAnn, he has been involved in multiple local businesses. Equally so, he has always been involved with the town's management and has a great sense of what needs to be improved first and what can be temporarily be put on the "back burner." He was the master-mind behind the Boardwalk renovation back in 2007. The renovation included many aesthetic aspects, but also ideas like the Summer Concert Series & the fireworks. Even though I'm 24, I have noticed a HUGE difference in what the island used to be compared to the island as we know it today. I credit most of that to the Boardwalk renovation, which is essentially the heartbeat of our small town.

My Baltimore Ravens coined the slogan "W.I.N" - what's important now. We need a mayor that will be able to prioritize what's important now, all while factoring our town's fiscal standpoint. So while a community pool would be great and everyone would love it, we simply cannot afford it; at least when considering the other areas that need attention. Remember the "state pier" talk a few years ago? Instead of talking things over with the state and so forth, we drop $4 million on an oceanfront lot and took that to the state. The state turned us down and we've been trying to sell the property ever since. I think it's listed around $1-2 million now. Either way, we lost a lot of money, which would have been allocated to other projects. We can't be making decisions like these and we can't accommodate every local swimmer with an Olympic sized swimming pool. Just my .02 cents.

Lastly, I just really can't take much more of this big city political mud-slinging. Sorry, Bob, but I'll never be able to look past that bull**** postcard that you sent out a day or two before the election. It seems like only half the island got it, but the card totally slammed the other canidate. Since it was a day or two before the election, the other canidate did not have a chance to respond. I don't care how they did things up north - this is Carolina Beach and we're a small, beach community. Aside from making political decisions, we need someone that we can trust away from Town Hall. We need someone that's actively involved within our community. We need Dan Wilcox.

This may be my longest post on this forum, so I hope it seves some purpose to all the 458 locals on here. This is our beach! Remember to vote for me when my time comes. DL is out!