LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    mrgrnar you're comparing apples to toothbrushes

Agreed but just reiterating the point that if surfing was my full time job, I would have a jetski and maximize my wave/barrel count. Obviously I would have paddled those waves like the rest but no point in hating on people who do step offs. My respect for them does not drop because they use skis.

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.gnar28 View Post
    Yeah dude Mick Fanning and Julian Wilson are total kooks who can't shred. http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21243223871184

Same with Bruce Irons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDuxRkJH2rI
    Yeah, I know i see Mick & Bruce out surfing the east coast all the time.
    Hey, I'm not hating on anyone, to it's their own...
    It's like steroids in baseball, you get an asterick.

Oh, and here, I'll quote your article, so you can have a better idea why I think it's retarded that their out there with ski's

"Nah, it was bloody way bigger than that! I saw a 25-foot wave come through, if not bigger. It doesn’t do it justice on the telecast. Reed McIntosh got like a solid 20-footer, it could have been bigger, I don’t know. It was just massive!"
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Oct 11, 2013 at 04:08 PM.

I think you are missing the point. Those guys who are using skis could surf those waves by paddling and surf them way better than you or I. However, they would have their fair share of closeouts and their wave count would suffer. I get your steroids reference and agree somewhat but will refute by saying those guys could surf without the skis which may or may not be the case with baseball and steroids.

No one starts surfing with skis. They shred, they get sponsored, sponsor gives them a ski, they get more barrels/pics, get stoked and repeat.

So if I understand it correctly, jetskis are totally acceptable in the line-up, regardless of wave size or whether you can paddle into the waves or not when:

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    . . . someone is trying to link up with a water photographer in an insanely shifty lineup with small windows of takeoff zones to pay his bills by getting spreads that can be found on surfline . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    . . . to increase your wave count. . .
    Or because:
    . . . guys who are using skis could surf those waves by paddling and surf them way better than you or I.
    And if they weren’t doing tow-ats:

. . . their wave count would suffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I'd bet $ that Brett paddled into that one too.
    In the screen shots I posted, the guy who paddled was there before the jetskis ever showed up, him and another guy were the only people on that peak. He stayed in that same spot paddling against the current for about an hour and a half and caught about 3 waves that I saw. I think he would've caught more, but the jetski guys started towing right into his peak and were getting into them way earlier. He was the guy who almost gets run over in the last screenshot.

However, for all I know they're all best friends or cousins or whatever. That's just what I saw on Surfline's cam rewind. I was curious as the only other waves I've seen towed at or on or into or whatever on the East Coast were of Raven Lundy at OC during Sandy.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Oct 11, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

I'd use a ski in a heart beat. It's not a crutch, it's yet another way to enjoy the surf. Another for the quiver If
    you will. No more of a crutch than a wax, trac pads, or a bigger board. Dig what you want but I think skis are badass.

I know you're being facetious but yeah that's the gist of it. I would rather paddle because the drop in is one of my favorite parts of surfing. Don't think it's ever OK to interfere with paddling surfers - more as an enabling tool in tricky/heavy conditions where paddling is not advisable (not necessarily the case yesterday).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    mrgrnar you're comparing apples to toothbrushes
    Apples and toothbrushes are pretty comparable actually.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_apples_clean_teeth

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    So if I understand it correctly, jetskis are totally acceptable in the line-up, regardless of wave size or whether you can paddle into the waves or not when:

Or because:

And if they weren’t doing tow-ats:...
    Gaff what I meant to imply is that Brett was paddling, not towing.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    A crutch is a crutch is a crutch
    Like using the swellinfo forums to consider yourself a surfer.