LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seal Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfingOC912 View Post
    High 60's as a water temp aren't rare at all for this time of year. Yes, the water will be above 60 deg in the next month. It bottoms out around 58 in Jan/Feb for north county. Not sure about south county, but I can't remember ever wearing boots here. I've always thought they were optional, but never even considered until JAN/FEB.
    Fair enough, good on ya dude. I may be out there around Turkey Day to put your theory to the test. Hope you're scoring out there in sunny SD, and hoping you're a Charger fan. Peace....

Quote Originally Posted by dudeclimbing View Post
    Hey. Z. Thanks for making me famous for my stash! I never knew ya liked it so much!
    That's a selfie.

Quote Originally Posted by washashore View Post
    Any thoughts on the Carlsbad/Oceanside area? I'll be in that area around this same time (apparently everyone will be there). While not really a surf trip, I'm hoping to get out for a session or two. From what I can tell that section of coastline is just one long beachbreak.
    You got it. Reefs start south of Ponto.

one more little tip for the OP and Emass: if you have any friends in the military stationed in SoCal, they could get you access to the base at O'side or another located just south of Oxnard. Not necessarily "secrets", but don't want to "ring the dinner bell" either. Seek and ye shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfingOC912 View Post
    "If you're going in early November, you'll be catching it at the best time of the year. Whether you're in North County or Imperial Beach (IB), it will probably be firing. Water will be 58-60, so you can get by with a 3/2 with booties but a 4/3 probably better."

I live in North County. The water is 68 degrees currently. Bring a 2mm short arm fullsuit and maybe a 3/2. You'll look like a clown wearing boots and a 4/3....
    68 degree water? That's easily trunk time for me brah. Piss warm compared to what I'm in now in the NE. Which is GREAT to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Emass, you can't go wrong in Ventura on the way up. The beach breaks are straight up class. Oxnard and the Strand frequently go off. After heavy rains, the SC rivermouth is a hepatitis freight train. If you have any connections with the proper 411, contact them now and see about access to The Ranch. If The Ranch is out of the question, definitely hit up Jalama State Park. I'd be surprised if it isn't breaking. Reminds me of Blacks somewhat. Too many points to list in Santa Barbara, which is now coming to life (doesn't break during summer). And lastly, blow through SLO. You're better off heading straight to SC, even though you'll have to contend with more crowds.

You'll notice I didn't mention C-Street, Sandspit, and Trestles because I prefer not surfing in madness. Yes, they can be perfect. So can Swami's. I just don't recommend them. But if you don't mind surfing with 200 other guys, then go for it. If Trestles is going off, then Cotton's or Church is too...without the neoprene speed bumps.

Also, the North County poster stated that it's 68 degrees right now. Cool! But isn't that kinda rare for mid-October? My bludz down in the Cliffs say the agua is 65-66 right now. I know it's cooler than that as you go further south, if that's your cup o' tea. Let us know if the water stays above 60 in another month. I lived there for 30 years and don't remember ever paddling out in November without booties. Peace and waves....
    That's awesome info, thank you again!!

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    one more little tip for the OP and Emass: if you have any friends in the military stationed in SoCal, they could get you access to the base at O'side or another located just south of Oxnard. Not necessarily "secrets", but don't want to "ring the dinner bell" either. Seek and ye shall find.
    Got that on lock, and great heads up.

Images
    Working from South to North: Tourmaline (Pacific Beach/La Jolla) for logging. Blacks for thumping heart-racing speed walls (and leg burn from the walk back up). Cardiff Reef is a blast but crowded. Small take off zone but when you get one, you will remember it. Four cut-backs without even thinking about it... Swami's (south end of Encinitas) and Trestles (further north and before you get to San Clemente - just to chalk 'em off your list.

Have fun, bro it's a blast...I traveled there (for work) every few weeks year round for nearly two years and rarely got skunked (unless you count marine layers)...3/2 should be fine.

The only time I surfed K38 was the day Kurt Cobain died. Amazing waves.

We will be staying in North County

And thanks guys for all of the recommendations