LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Weak glass?

  1. #1

    Weak glass?

    Yesterday I hit my head on the nose of my board and cracked off the very tip of it. This is the first time I've ever done something like that so I don't know if that's what usually happens. Is it? I just feel like I'm always getting little cracks in the glass from hardly anything and now there's this too. I try to be careful and this stuff still happens and it's really frustrating and annoying. Oh, and it's a DHD if anyone has any info on their glass. Also, who are some shapers or brands that make surfboards that are on the more durable side?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash Slinging Slasher View Post
    Also, who are some shapers or brands that make surfboards that are on the more durable side?
    Sorry to hear about your board, dude. Most of those performance shortboards have a pretty light glass job. Your best bet is to take it to your local shaper for some extra reinforcement on high pressure areas, like the nose and tail. You might want to look into a custom for your next board. Get a nice thick glass job with a deck patch. Personally, I find that polished boards are more durable than matte finishes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Sorry to hear about your board, dude. Most of those performance shortboards have a pretty light glass job. Your best bet is to take it to your local shaper for some extra reinforcement on high pressure areas, like the nose and tail. You might want to look into a custom for your next board. Get a nice thick glass job with a deck patch. Personally, I find that polished boards are more durable than matte finishes.
    Listen to this man, not only is he the most interesting man in the world he knows his glass. Polished is def more durable. I prefer and know Dlrouen has also used Eavey in Wilmington NC. I know thats a little far for you but I'm sure there are glassers in your area that can do the same quality work. I banged my quad fish into the metal corner of my buddies table one day last year, on the rail too which is a very weak are, put a little spider web about the size of a dime in the glass but did not go all the way through. If that had been a moder style board with thin glass layer and matte finish it would have busted all the way to the foam.

    http://eaveysurfboards.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    It is common for mass produced boards to have a "deck patch" going only 3/4s the length of the board and a single layer of 4 oz glass to the tip. The goal is to save weight but it makes it weak. Makes the glass shop like $3 a board more profit too..
    We do a ton of ding repairs for snapped noses because of this glassing practice on big name surfboard brands.
    Also, when glass shops get behind with production, they'll kick the resin fast which makes it weaker and brittle.
    I assume your DHD is a PU/PE construction.
    Epoxy resin is 5X stronger (don't be confused with an "EPOXY" popout board) and with a proper glass job that nose break would have been a small pressure ding at most.
    Polyurethane cores with epoxy lamination are becoming more popular these days for those still resistant to learn to ride EPS cores...

    ~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    I banged my quad fish into the metal corner of my buddies table one day last year, on the rail too which is a very weak are, put a little spider web about the size of a dime in the glass but did not go all the way through. If that had been a moder style board with thin glass layer and matte finish it would have busted all the way to the foam.
    That sucks, rcarter! If it makes you feel any better, I landed a nice spider crack on the rail of my 9'2" just last week. I was rushing out the door and my nose swung around and caught the edge of a door. Take your time when handling your boards!

    Hey, Brian, can you shine any (green) light on polished vs matte finishes?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    A State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,469
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    That sucks, rcarter! If it makes you feel any better, I landed a nice spider crack on the rail of my 9'2" just last week. I was rushing out the door and my nose swung around and caught the edge of a door. Take your time when handling your boards!

    Hey, Brian, can you shine any (green) light on polished vs matte finishes?
    That was the same thing I did. Spent the night in Wilm at my buddies, woke up checked Surfchex cam, looked sweet, hurrying to get out the door and bam right in to the table. Luckily it's still water tight. I seem to remember the dif between the matte and gloss is the final treatment that adds shine and strength but hopefully Brian can greenlighten us on the subject.

  7. #7
    maybe it's like a modern car and has a crumple zone?

  8. #8
    So what I'm getting from here is that performance boards can suck it, at least from bigger name brands. Better bets would be local shapers, smaller brands, or epoxy boards. Just to get things clear, when I think of epoxy boards I think of something like a Firewire. Is that right?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bethany beach
    Posts
    183
    Images
    7
    I like comparing the local shapers to craft brewers. They have to work to make a good product to stay in business. if you say durability is important, they will do a better glass job, and make harder rails, etc. Phil Taylor is here in Salisbury, long way from you, but i believe he is shipping/driving boards up that way. I take care of my boards, but in the year I've had two of his boards, I don't have a single crack or ding in them. Pressure dents, but can't stop that. You also cut out the extra cost that surf shops throw on top if you go custom, and you get it EXACTLY how you want it. Lastly, guys like Phil will even do most ding repair for free. I always mention phil bc that's who I use, but I'm sure there are great shapers around you too.
    You might not want a rock solid board though, good thing the board broke, not your head.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    You might not want a rock solid board though, good thing the board broke, not your head.
    Very true, but I'd rather have something that's stronger than egg shells.