LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

When did you start surfing?

So tell me, when did you start surfing? And what was the board? Love to hear some good stories.

Yesterday on a costco softtop. It was rad. After I learned (took only 10 min) I was getting barrels and boosting airs. When I came back in, there were reef girls lined up to the parking lot begging me for a date. I love surfing now.

Last weekend, even though it was 23', or maybe just 8', and I was shotting piers all day on Sunday in defiance of the naked man in the white van screaming from within his white van about desecrating the sabbath.

And then, me & my crew poured lighter fluid all over my custom-made collector's edition 39' wooden $1.5 mln chucka-boo-boo gnome special & had us some broasted chicken.

Images
    About 3 years ago on a 7'10'' NSP funboard in Narragansett during a tropical storm in May. Riding whitewater. I look back on that moment and I feel like such a kook.

50 years ago. Canvas inflatable air mat. Wore cheap, yellow-colored face mask & snorkel rig (w/ ping pong ball) and swim fins from probably one of the first K-Marts. Got bad mat rash and butt-fulls (or is it butts-full?) of sand from riding up onto the beach.

Like 2 weeks ago after throttling out on a wavejet with my 7 mil wetty on

I don't surf, rather I perpetrate surfing forums and amass quite a bit of anecdotal knowledge in the process. Not related to surfing, but more pertaining to wetsuit design, open-hand striking tactics, contrails, hops & barley, pinning ceremonies, stock options, economy vodka, lacrosse glory day stories, the sham of "pro" surfing, the sham of "pro" American football, genome projects, large sealife creatures as medicine, the fall and subsequent further fall of New Jersey, the perpetual Civil War, how to singlehandedly own both North & South San Diego & Orange Counties, mummification via neoprene, prevalence of bipolar and schizophrenic disorders in surfers, assassinating poultry prior to deep frying it, vacationing in Puerto Rico and Costa Rica, the kingdom of Montauk, beach replenishment, and bad rap music.

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    50 years ago. Canvas inflatable air mat. Wore cheap, yellow-colored face mask & snorkel rig (w/ ping pong ball) and swim fins from probably one of the first K-Marts. Got bad mat rash and butt-fulls (or is it butts-full?) of sand from riding up onto the beach.
    It's "butts full", no hyphenation. Even though it's just your rear end (as far as we know...and please, don't answer that) its plural form is appropriate since we are talking about numerous single instances of episodic retention of sand via the anus. Just as you'd say "seven buckets full" when filling up the same bucket seven times.

Your mindfulness to grammatical correctness is noted and appreciated. Thank you for making SI a smarter place.
    Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Oct 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: no butts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Last weekend, even though it was 23', or maybe just 8', and I was shotting piers all day on Sunday in defiance of the naked man in the white van screaming from within his white van about desecrating the sabbath.

And then, me & my crew poured lighter fluid all over my custom-made collector's edition 39' wooden $1.5 mln chucka-boo-boo gnome special & had us some broasted chicken.
    A proper sacrifice to RoyCharlesDavidthegnome.

Holy crap there have been some funny ones! I was gonna come in all joking but don't think I can live up to you guys origin stories so I will tell the truth. 22 years ago at high school spring break. Rode a early to mid 70's Jim Ovelin single fin. 6'10" pin tail, heavy and beat up as hell. Two of my buddies who were there surfed so after about 6-8 beers I decided I wanted to learn since Point Break had just come out and I wanted to be Bohdi. Took a few days but before the week was out I was standing up and riding. Been surfing ever since.