LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I also plan on gracefully bowing out of human procreation.
    Yeah, I never had kids. Never wanted to. Too much responsibility, too many people on this planet already. If family life is really what you want, that's one thing, go for it. But too many sheeple just do it because......monkey see/monkey do. And a few years down the road, when they're working 50+ hrs/week, mortgaged to their eyeballs to pay for the addition on the new McMansion, and the pool they don't even have time to use, no free time to do anything, let alone surf, I can see it in their eyes that maybe they wish they'd thought about what they didn't want in their lives. That's how it worked for me, by thinking about what I didn't want, I wound up with what I did want, which was freedom from the rat race.

I did have a house and a spouse; still have the modest, paid-for house. Didn't take up sponging until I was about 52 but at least now I have the freedom to hit the surf when there is some to hit.

I like a roof over my head, and at 57, I guess I'm a bit old for a cross-continent surfing road trip, but those of you who want it and are young enough to enjoy it should go for it. I'll tell you one thing, the older you get, the faster time goes by.

Weed and dogs are so awesome.

its all a matter of personal taste. Did the vagabond thing for a bit and it was fun at the time. Now, i would prefer to roll in comfort in a high-end RV.

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Paddington.... you brought a tear to my eye!

Very well said my brotha, specially this last line....

"Nothing matters except waves, weed and dogs.......and hopefully your family."

Brewengineer, I have had the girlfriends that surfs too. Though its a great novelty at first I think I much prefer the non-surfing girlfriend. It seemed as if I could never go surfing by myself or with my friends without my girl wanting to tag along too. Like I said, its great at first but becomes a curse. Especially when you want to go on a surf trip with the guys. Good luck with that!

Course then there's the opposite side of the spectrum... your girl falls in love with you because you are a surfer and love the beach and live the lifestyle. Then 2-3 years down the road you are nothing but a loser and all you want to do is surf and all the money you earn or save goes toward your surf trip and not her. Stop wearing those ridiculous flip-flops, dress like an adult, blah, blah, blah, ha, ha, ha!!!!~~~~~~~

Was so hilarious.... I just got into that same conversation with a buddy the other day! Willing to bet this happens to just about every guy that surfs and has a girlfriend!

I'm in the perfect situation... not married, no girlfriend (u can get em cheap while on your surf trips), my son is now 18, loves his dad, can't stand his mom, all he wants to do is go surfing with dad! Took him on his first surf trip last year and we had the time of our lives!
    True words written WH. "Why do we have to go to the beach all the time?" my wife asks. "You don't have to come" is my reply. That always makes for a pleasant ride to the beach for the two of us. HA! Checks and balances mate. I'd probably be dead or incarcerated if weren't for her. But I am a selfish bastard for always taking her on vacations to places that have waves. I don't see the big deal. What the hell is in Kansas if you don't have family there?

You know what else is awesome, tacos. PJB, I think you should amend you list to include tacos. And 70's droopy bottom bikinis.

this is ****ing inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    True words written WH. "Why do we have to go to the beach all the time?" my wife asks. "You don't have to come" is my reply. That always makes for a pleasant ride to the beach for the two of us. HA! Checks and balances mate. I'd probably be dead or incarcerated if weren't for her. But I am a selfish bastard for always taking her on vacations to places that have waves. I don't see the big deal. What the hell is in Kansas if you don't have family there?
    Surfdog,

I always say if it wasn't for my wife I'd be dead or famous. I fell your pain and relief...

Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    You know what else is awesome, tacos. PJB, I think you should amend you list to include tacos. And 70's droopy bottom bikinis.
    Don't forget churros!!!

Images
    I love both, but I'm a quesadilla man personally.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Did the vagabond thing for a bit and it was fun at the time. Now, i would prefer to roll in comfort...
    Yea... that's pretty much the way it goes for anybody who's functionally sane. My advice would be... if you're young, you gotta go for it now. Don't say that's how you want to live your whole life, because everybody I ever knew who actually did it, never talked about it. They just did it and went away...

So go for it NOW. Because you can't help aging... or needing money... and you can't help who you fall in love with. Those things just HAPPEN to you. And when they do, you'll look back... and here's the "theater of the absurd" part of it... you STILL WANT TO DO IT! That never goes away. Only now, you're too old and committed, and if you have any integrity at all, you don't just up and bail on people who you committed to and need you for selfish reasons like, "I just want an adventure."

Do it NOW. Pack your boards, (you do have boards, right?) and all the cash you got, and don't freak'n snapchat every second of it like anybody else cares. You're doing this for YOU, aren't you? Or are you? Take a few pics for yourself, if you feel you have to. And don't act like it's your life's work, because it aint. 'Cause like I said, people who do, don't talk about it.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Oct 18, 2013 at 09:17 PM.