LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To the fine folks at swell info....

Just wanted to commend you on the fine job you are doing on your forum. Its probably one of the better that I have seen and also one of the most attentive.

However.....

your cams and reports could use a little help. At least where I am from. In the Florida section you have Daytona, Ormond, Sebastian etc... Sebastian is a surf break, but Daytona and Ormond aren't really a specific spot. Literally the best spot in the state is not even on your report (that would be NSB Inlet and also Ponce side) Though Sebastian gets decent its nowhere near as consistent and good as the other two above areas. There are a few target areas in Daytona like Sunglow Pier but very rarely does anyone surf Daytona (unless they are a tourist or for some reason it is actually good.)

Don't bother with Cocoa (lol) it faces in the wrong direction!

So please give us the inlet report and scrap the Daytona hotel cam. (unless you want to see Canadian tourists in their banana hammocks)

Also a Bethune report would be great cause its a long drive just to check it out and it often fires pretty good! Bethune is like Ormond in that the beach is a totally different contour from Daytona and NSB so its hard to tell what its like down in Bethune just by checking NSB.

There are currently cams in all of these spots, maybe you can just widget up or something.

Anyway, not complaining, just trying to better your report.

Thanks.... wavehog1

Can anyone think of somewhere I forgot?

+1 Pretty much nailed it

Images
    Online spot misinformation can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Online spot misinformation can be a good thing.
    Bingo. Anyone who relies on the cams needs to stay at home & keep on trying harder to figure out when to go surfing. Not taking a potshot at you Wavehog; just def agreeing with The Seen.

What _do_ you rely on? Right now my system works via a combination of:

1. Swellinfo spot forecasts for the closest spots to the spots I go (i.e. if I want to surf Boston, I kinda average out between Hull and Gloucester)

2. Buoy data (i.e. if the Block Island buoy is over 6 feet I get my a** down to Rhode Island ASAP)

3. My (very partial) knowledge of the swell direction of the various spots combined with the forecasted swell direction/source (i.e. a southeast swell from outside cape cod is gonna bounce off cape cod and miss Boston)

4. Me saying "Gee I wish I understood how tides work" / going to spots that seem to work on all the tides

5. Looking at the closest cams to get a general idea (i.e. "oh ****, I see 50 surfers going for the crappy random closeouts at First Beach and crazy waves on the Narragansett cam -- seems like Rhode Island is going off")

6. If I get to the spot and there are no waves + nobody out in the lineup waiting out a lull in the waves , drive aimlessly up and down the coast until I do find a wave

Yeah agree with the others who said use the raw data from buoys and local knowledge. For years SI did not have Surf City NC listed. Once they added it the model it uses is off. Surf City (Topsail) will be bigger than WB on a south or southeast swell but the text to the left does not show it, in fact it will show the size as smaller. That is where local knowledge comes in. Just take the buoy data get the NOAA NSW forecast and learn to predict it yourself. Remeber this site is free, sign up for surfline premium and see if it gives you any better data.

Quote Originally Posted by epictetus View Post
    What _do_ you rely on? Right now my system works via a combination of:

1. Swellinfo spot forecasts for the closest spots to the spots I go (i.e. if I want to surf Boston, I kinda average out between Hull and Gloucester)

2. Buoy data (i.e. if the Block Island buoy is over 6 feet I get my a** down to Rhode Island ASAP)

3. My (very partial) knowledge of the swell direction of the various spots combined with the forecasted swell direction/source (i.e. a southeast swell from outside cape cod is gonna bounce off cape cod and miss Boston)

4. Me saying "Gee I wish I understood how tides work" / going to spots that seem to work on all the tides

5. Looking at the closest cams to get a general idea (i.e. "oh ****, I see 50 surfers going for the crappy random closeouts at First Beach and crazy waves on the Narragansett cam -- seems like Rhode Island is going off")

6. If I get to the spot and there are no waves + nobody out in the lineup waiting out a lull in the waves , drive aimlessly up and down the coast until I do find a wave
    Sounds about right.

Where I go it's swell, wind, tide. Not necessarily in that order. Most of the time, I just go as long as the wind isn't originating from the dark side. There's usually some fun to be found in the ocean.
    Last edited by yankee; Oct 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM.

I take forecasts with a grain of salt. You're better off making your own forecast based on what the weather is actually doing out there or what it has done recently. Looking at maps of the entire ocean and finding strong winds aimed at your beach, with a large area of fetch, finding current wave heights, doing a little math.....

For example: you can use this site, (which i don't for this) but this site is great too. Pulling up the current GFS winds for entire east coast USA you can see the large area of fetch over bermuda from low pressure aimed at the carolinas. Probably safe to say you can grab a small wave board and find surf tomorrow and friday. See screenshot.Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 4.32.52 PM.jpg