LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: 16 Good or bad?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    988
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC View Post
    Is 16 a good age to learn how to surf? Can I still go far in the surfing? Maybe i'm just a kook who over thinks my age difference compared to the surfers that I look up to who started at super young ages.
    In my opinion, anyone can surf. Anyone, any age. One pro that I see in your age is that you can buy a wetsuit and use it forever. Therefore, you buy a great suit like a ripcurl or patagonia or something, and it will last you forever. I'm 13 and I started 3 years ago. I'm buying suits (growing) and boards (skill level) almost twice every year.
    Last edited by RIsurfer; Oct 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: an, a

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    In my opinion, anyone can surf. Anyone, any age. One pro that I see in your age is that you can buy a wetsuit and use it forever. Therefore, you buy a great suit like a ripcurl or patagonia or something, and it will last you forever. I'm 13 and I started 3 years ago. I'm buying suits (growing) and boards (skill level) almost twice every year.
    Rhodey grom brah! You should pin (yes, like Gruvi) those growned-out wettys to your wall so when you're winning ESAs soon you can show the EConn wahines how you started from the bottom now you here. What adult wettys you talking bouts that last forever? I gotta get me one of those!! Maybe the ones you put in the closet and never take out. I don't want to perpetuate the useless wetty threads so I'll say it here (for the 38th time) - XCEL Drylock is where it's at!!! Although...I can't get enough RC baggies plus that hacker Mick reps their gear so in some possible world I could see myself stepping into an E-bomb.

    BTW...short funny wetty story: put on my 3/2 backwards today at the AM sesh!!! Would've charged with it like that just for schitts n gigs but woulda been tough fastening that chest...er I mean back neck zip!!!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    You mean the Julian Wilson who's been surfing 20 odd years?

    "Surfing since “before I can remember”, Julian is the youngest member of a fanatical surfing family. His dad Mick, mum Nola and brothers Bart and Seb, all surf.

    A prodigious junior talent, Julian took home national titles in both long and shortboard divisions before diving right into the shortboard scene in his mid teens."


    Experience counts.

    Don't worry E coli, I'm sure that after you've been surfing for a whole year, you'll be getting a personal invite to the Triple Crown. After all, you're an Alpha.
    WC Swami brah, course experience counts. It's all about paying dues and putting the time (quality time) in relentlessly until you've climbed the food chain to a desired height. Experience and dedication are everything and we certainly agree on that. My stance is that there are outliers that can and do emerge from atypical backgrounds, upbringings, and age/physical attributes and succeed in climbing that food chain to high elevations through passion and unquenchable thirst displayed by commitment through action.

    Julian lives it and always has. He is textbook of what you need to do to make the climb. It's not a coincidence his punt yesterday looked effortlessly and likely felt so to him. What I'm saying is that you don't always have to have the head start or even start "on time", as long as you make the ground up that was missed, however difficult and rare that is.

    Just passed the 8 month mark!!! So in 4 months they're gonna give me grandstand seats at Kentucky, Preakness and Belmont? Don't really do the horse racing thing...

    Can't wait to see you out there in a couple weeks Swami braddahmon!!! There IS room for the both of us in SoCal!!! Teach me the ways. 100% serious.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    988
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Rhodey grom brah! You should pin (yes, like Gruvi) those growned-out wettys to your wall so when you're winning ESAs soon you can show the EConn wahines how you started from the bottom now you here. What adult wettys you talking bouts that last forever? I gotta get me one of those!! Maybe the ones you put in the closet and never take out. I don't want to perpetuate the useless wetty threads so I'll say it here (for the 38th time) - XCEL Drylock is where it's at!!! Although...I can't get enough RC baggies plus that hacker Mick reps their gear so in some possible world I could see myself stepping into an E-bomb.

    BTW...short funny wetty story: put on my 3/2 backwards today at the AM sesh!!! Would've charged with it like that just for schitts n gigs but woulda been tough fastening that chest...er I mean back neck zip!!!
    Maybe I was a little exagerrative (is that how you spell it?) when I said "forever". Funny story btw!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    Maybe I was a little exagerrative (is that how you spell it?) when I said "forever". Funny story btw!
    Spell any way you choose young charger buc. Err buddy round these parts does the same anywayz.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashdog View Post

    ...if you have to ask 'is it worth it?,' the answer is no.
    ... if you want to surf, see where it takes you....
    Good stuff. Thanks.

  7. #27
    You're young and have a lifetime of surfing ahead of you. I grew up in Kansas and didnt even think about the possibility. Saw the ocean for the first time at 24. Started surfing at 30 and now 23 years later, I've surfed all over North America including Costa Rica. Great journey. I started cause I saw a 75 year old surfing Assateague. Fountain of Youth. If he can do it so can I. Just keep surfing year around and you'll be as great as you need to be!