LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FOAM - Guild Factor

I am always checking new boards out online and imagining my next stick. I frequent the Lost site and saw they have a different take on a volume calculator.

http://www.lostsurfboards.net/2013/w...mes-explained/

It recommends more volume than I am used to riding. I have a lost motivator that holds about 35 or 36 liters and that is so floaty for me but good when it's summer or really small. This is the same volume the calculator says I shuold be riding for my short board.

So, I am looking to get a board in between my all out small wave board and my head high+ barrel board and am thinking of a weirdo ripper or something similar, Roberts diamond maybe. I didn't know if I should keep my volume somewhat close to 35 or 36 and hope the rocker and thinner rails will do the trick to fit me into the waves or if I should go lower to like 32 or 33 as the CI calculator says for the weirdo ... I have also checked the firewire calculator and it is too broad.

Really what is your opinion on this calculator and others. I don't see a common number for any of these.

Images
    I don't know how a simple equation can tell you what you should be riding. It is a total guess and I think its totally unfair to the consumer.

Best trick is going to your local shaper, bring your boards you normally ride and tell him what you just wrote down.

I'm 225lbs 5'10 calculate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Franyfingers View Post
    I don't know how a simple equation can tell you what you should be riding. It is a total guess and I think its totally unfair to the consumer.

Best trick is going to your local shaper, bring your boards you normally ride and tell him what you just wrote down.

I'm 225lbs 5'10 calculate that.
    After crunching all of the numbers..(it wasn't easy) I calculate that you are fat/obese, or overweight(to be more subtle). But you might still rip. Are you Chino Surfboards? I'm good at math

BTW Franny. I mean no disrespect. I could afford to drop a couple too. Swell on tap for tomorrow, get pumped!

There's a lot more factors then just height and weight, unless you are tourist and just looking to rent a board for the day.

Yes.... go to your local shaper (one that knows what they are doing) and talk to them. Besides the height and weight, you need to tell them TRUTHFULLY about your surfing abilities. Also what are you looking to do when you are surfing? Another big factor is where you surf. Wherever you surf or frequent the most is what you want your board shaped for. You wouldn't shape a custom gun if you lived in Florida right?! If the board is for a trip then let him know where you are going and what the current conditions have been like there. If where you are going has really been pumping and is a wave of substance then you may want to beef up your glass a bit. If you're not planning to travel at all and live in say Florida then you want to be on the lighter side and don't need extra glass.

If its possible ask the shaper if he has something you can test drive to maybe narrow down your options, or maybe a friend has a board that you like, ask them if you can ride it for a few waves.

Whatever you do don't just buy a board for the name. Believe it or not a lot of these "megabrand" boards are actually shaped by local shapers. You can get the same exact board without the inflated price.

This is actually a pretty clever marketing gimmick since it's a unique take on the whole volume thing bandwagon. It's not a Volume Calculator though since it's predicated on the fact that you have to know your board's volume to begin with, instead it's a function that outputs data that's relevant only if you're going to buy a ...Lost board, this whole Guild Factor value.

For instance, the only boards in my quiver that I know the volumes for are my Coils, I weigh about 196, give or take a chesseburger, an order of fries and a pint or two:

Qualifier at 1.1ft³ for a step up = 31L = GF 35
    RoundTail FBF for an everyday board at 1.2ft³ = 34L =GF 38
    Megamind for a groveler at 1.35ft³ = 38L = GF 42

Okay great, I now know my ...Lost board Guild factor; but it's essentially worthless data as it does me 0 good unless I'm buying a ...Lost board. It does however explain why that MegaMind makes me feel like I'm cheating.

I wonder who thought this one up? I'm guessing someone who adheres to the philosophy of "Blind them with BullSh!1."

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Okay great, I now know my ...Lost board Guild factor; but it's essentially worthless data as it does me 0 good unless I'm buying a ...Lost board. It does however explain why that MegaMind makes me feel like I'm cheating.

I wonder who thought this one up? I'm guessing someone who adheres to the philosophy of "Blind them with BullSh!1."
    actually, i'm gonna disagree; i think this could be a great tool for a lot of surfers who are having trouble dialing in their dims & volume. they can take what they've been riding, volume-wise, & see how it relates to their weight. most recommendations i've seen suggest having about 0.3L per kg of body weight. for me at 190lbs, that puts me at around 26L...ridiculously low. i prefer to be more around 32 or 33L, which is closer to .37 or so.
    & the idea that this is only applicable to ...lost boards? c'mon...

for some reason, a lot of surfers are scared of having too much foam or volume, but the truth is, for the vast majority, more foam is going to help them have so much more fun & catch more waves. anything that's going to help surfers be more knowledgeable about future board purchases & what will or won't work for them gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wet Monster View Post

It recommends more volume than I am used to riding. I have a lost motivator that holds about 35 or 36 liters and that is so floaty for me but good when it's summer or really small. This is the same volume the calculator says I shuold be riding for my short board.
    my volume from good wave hpsb to uber-groveler varies about 1.5L or so. don't stress about it too much. if what you're riding is working for you, great. if not, a little more volume might be what you need. i prefer firewire's volume calculator as it's the most in-depth one i've seen & the more info you can feed into any calculator, the more accurate it's going to be. ci's is laughably pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    actually, i'm gonna disagree; i think this could be a great tool for a lot of surfers who are having trouble dialing in their dims & volume. they can take what they've been riding, volume-wise, & see how it relates to their weight. most recommendations i've seen suggest having about 0.3L per kg of body weight. for me at 190lbs, that puts me at around 26L...ridiculously low. i prefer to be more around 32 or 33L, which is closer to .37 or so.
    & the idea that this is only applicable to ...lost boards? c'mon...

for some reason, a lot of surfers are scared of having too much foam or volume, but the truth is, for the vast majority, more foam is going to help them have so much more fun & catch more waves. anything that's going to help surfers be more knowledgeable about future board purchases & what will or won't work for them gets my vote.
    That's cool I might be wrong, but looking at how they've designed this, my take on it is that you're not supposed to end up with 3 different guild factors like I did, you should only have one. "If a surfer knows the volume of his favorite board, or a board that feels too floaty or not floaty enough, he can use the chart to guide him in a better direction."

So let's say my guild factor is 38. My step-up, my everyday and my groveler can all be different volumes, but Lost is saying that they all would have the same guild factor which takes some of the guess work out of buying a new board. As long as the board is a Lost. "Oh you want a new V2, what's your guild factor? 38, well the 6" x 21 X 2 5/8 with 35L of volume has a guild factor of 38. Oh you want a RockUp instead, okay for your guild factor you need a 6'6" x 19 3/4" x 2 1/2" at 33L."

That's great but, what other board manufacturer is going to use this guild factor number? FireWire maybe since they make some Lost boards? It's a number ...Lost came up with, they're the only company that's going to use it. You can't buy say an SD III and then go to Mike Daniels and say "Hi Mike, I'm riding a 6'4" Lost SDIII as an everyday board. I'd like to get a Coil step up. Can you shape me one with the same guild factor?" He's going to say, "what's a guild factor?" Maybe not, Mike's a pretty sharp cat and probably reads Biolis' blog.

I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking this; but all I do every day is try to figure out how different pieces of data fit with other pieces. I don't see how I can take this number and extrapolate it to another manufacturers' designs other than by looking at every similar board in my guild factor and then taking those dims to another shaper.

So my point is, there's no way to correlate this value with that other shaper's boards. You still have to go back to dims and volume when talking about anything other than ...Lost's boards and when you start talking dims and volume it throws the whole guild factor thing right out the window because, at least in my case, none of my boards have the same guild factor, do yours?

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    my volume from good wave hpsb to uber-groveler varies about 1.5L or so.

hmm...maybe i'm the one not understanding this.