LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai-Guru View Post
    no been here for years, the sand bars are easily dredged by NE winds which make things worse. Having surfed up and down the east coast this place is worse than most...
    At least you have Mercer's pier and Wilmington. You could be stuck down in Oak Island. That's waaay crappier. I'd trade Norfolk for Wilmington, and 1st Street for that tight little spot at the pier any time. Plus the people are better down there than in the 757. (stereotyped, not on a case by case basis) Guess I shouldn't say "better", I'll leave it at friendlier.
    Last edited by Masterjasson; Oct 18, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

the grade in topsail is shallow, all i've ever seen are closeouts

pismo/oceano beaches are candidates for most closed out in the world (why I don't surf there anymore). They get what should be rideable size waves almost every day, but it's always long period groundswell like the frikin wall of china. Takes like an hour of paddling your ass off to finally get a corner...gotta sit out there 4 hours just to fell like you've actually surfed. At least you guys get more peaky windswells to break up the frustration

Quote Originally Posted by Masterjasson View Post
    At least you have Mercer's pier and Wilmington. You could be stuck down in Oak Island. That's waaay crappier. I'd trade Norfolk for Wilmington, and 1st Street for that tight little spot at the pier any time. Plus the people are better down there than in the 757. (stereotyped, not on a case by case basis) Guess I shouldn't say "better", I'll leave it at friendlier.
    very true, I'm just a grumpy old dude who's best days are behind um...

Images
    got a couple fun ones this morning at that high tide spot by the pier in CB ....me and 40 other people. fortunately all it takes is one good one to salvage a session.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    got a couple fun ones this morning at that high tide spot by the pier in CB ....me and 40 other people. fortunately all it takes is one good one to salvage a session.
    I probably surfed near you yesterday morning. A little crowded but plenty of waves to go around. A lot of the guys out were college kids just floating around and not really getting any waves haha.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    well you can blame or thank surfchex for the increase in people at the CB pier...I luckily have found that, thanks to the last NE punch, there are sandbars all up and down that stretch, in new places and will just walk down to the next honey hole. They don't work on all tides but hell they work! I always discover new spots while playing with the pooch a real win-win for both of us

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    and speaking of WB, what's with the death defying obstacles placed in the water at both Oceanic and Mercer's..ya know those leash-snagging orange buoys just by the piers on both sides? right in the muthaluvin best part of the break? How long til some kid (or grown up kid like myself) dies or almost drowns from one of those!?
    Last edited by babybabygrand; Oct 19, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Images
    Those buoys along wb are indicating where there are pilings sticking out of the ground. I'm assuming they were placed there a long time ago to act as groins and help hold the sand in place. If those are the orange buoys you are talking about I'm glad most are marked off because I stepped on one when they were marked and cut my ankle/foot up pretty bad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I probably surfed near you yesterday morning. A little crowded but plenty of waves to go around. A lot of the guys out were college kids just floating around and not really getting any waves haha.
    my usual spots in around the Tiki Bar have not broken well this fall (the utter lack of consistent swell in general may have something to do with this) - it seems like when there is waves and i'm not working, it's around high tide. hence, i find myself heading up to SS more often this year....and i guess i've gotten a little spoiled at the south end, because i'm not used to having sets go by without getting a wave, due to the crowd.
    you're right - there was plenty of waves to go around, but it seemed like every time the occasional stomach-high set came around (a testament in itself to how much we've all lowered our standards), there was somebody else on it.